Camino Forum FAQ. Please read before asking questions.

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Snow7

Camino Forum FAQ. Please read before asking questions.

Post by Snow7 »

In an attempt to clean up the ever-growing stickiefied threads, I present to you the Camino FAQ thread. By no means this is an exhaustive FAQ as no doubt there are other necessary info that will be unearthed after this has been posted.

Please send me a private message through this forum to bring up any errors that may have been made in this FAQ, any incomplete information, or any suggestions for improvements.

Basic information
What is Camino?
Why choose Camino?
Why call it Camino?
Where can I download Camino?

Comparison with Firefox
What is the difference between Camino and Firefox?
Does Camino support Firefox extensions?
Why should I pick Camino over Firefox?

Modifying Camino
Are there any Camino extensions?
Can I modify Camino's interface?
Where can I find add-ons for Camino?
What happened to CamiTools, CamiScript, and other add-ons from nadamac?
What happened to CaminoSession?

Different versions of Camino
What is the difference between the official releases and the nightlies?
Where can I download Camino nightlies?
Where can I see what's changed, fixed, or been added in recent nightlies?
What is a trunk build and what is a branch build
What is an optimized version?
How do I know what processor I run?
How can I build my own version of Camino?
Is Camino available for other operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc)?

Miscellaneous
How do I set Camino as the default browser?
I want my spell checker and Dictionary lookup!!!!
MIME/file extension mapping
Single window mode
Camino needs RSS!
Can I use web-based feed readers with Camino?
Does Camino support Live Bookmarks?
What can we expect from Camino in the future?

HELP!
How do I search just the Camino forum? I want to search, but I keep finding only stuff about Firefox?
Something's wrong with my Camino, help!
A. Check the Release Notes
B. Create a fresh user profile
C. Download the latest stable release
D. Restart your computer
E. Try a new Mac OS X user account
F. Try Camino on a completely different computer if available.
What to include when asking questions in this forum
Last edited by Snow7 on February 27th, 2006, 4:59 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Basic information
What is Camino?
Formerly known as Chimera, Camino is an open source web browser written specifically for Mac OS X and based on the Gecko engine. Wikipedia has some more information on Camino and you can also go to Camino's website

Why choose Camino?
You can find the answer on the Camino website or on this thread

Why call it Camino?
jbzoller wrote:Camino is spanish, as in "el Camino." It means "way" or "path" and is an extension to the original idea of "Navigator" from which this project sprang. It certainly makes more sense than Chimera did, but I wish we'd have been able to just stick with plain old Navigator.

Where can I download Camino?
From Camino's website
Last edited by Snow7 on February 22nd, 2006, 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Comparison with Firefox
What is the difference between Camino and Firefox?
In short, Camino and Firefox both grew out of the browser element of Mozilla, therefore it is incorrect to think of Camino as the Macintosh version of Firefox especially since it actually predates the Macintosh version of Firefox. Chimera, the predecessor of Camino was released and existed before Firefox was ported to the Mac.

Camino was created specifically as a Gecko-based Mac OS X browser that adopts the whole Macintosh experience. It uses the Aqua interface and integrates a number of Mac OS X services and features into the browser such as Keychain for password management and Bonjour for scanning available bookmarks across your local network.

Firefox is a browser project that attempts to disregard unique operating system services to preserve a single browsing experience no matter what OS you use. Therefore it has yet to conform to the overall look and feel of a Mac OS X application and does not make use of specific Mac OS X features and services.

Does Camino support Firefox extensions?
No it does not. While Camino shares a lot of code with Firefox, the two browsers work differently under the hood. Without getting into the specifics, the way Firefox handles extensions is not a feature that can be supported by Camino at the moment due to Firefox's reliance on its own set of services and Camino's reliance on OS X codes. However, this may change in the future for a select number of extensions as indicated by this bugzilla submission.

Why should I pick Camino over Firefox?
Your browser of choice depends on the browsing experience you seek. If what you're after is a fast and simple Gecko-based browser that has as much integration to the Mac OS as possible, then Camino might be the choice for you. However if you prefer to highly personalize your browser through the use of themes and extensions and don't mind the lack of Mac OS X looks and features then you may be happier with Firefox.
Last edited by Snow7 on February 21st, 2006, 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Modifying Camino
Are there any Camino extensions?
Camino does not have extensions per se but there are 3rd party add-ons made specifically for Camino that serve similar purposes to Firefox extensions although they are not as comprehensive at the moment. Preference panes are accessible through Camino Preferences.

Check PimpMyCamino for the latest Camino add-ons. Be sure to check with your add-on's developer to make sure you are using the latest version of the add-on and that the add-on is compatible with the version of Camino you are using.

Some popular add-ons include:
  • GrowlCamino - Camino 1.0-1.6.x
    Enables Growl notifications for Camino events.
  • Bookmarklets - Camino 1.0 and newer
    From Wikipedia: A bookmarklet is a small JavaScript program that can be stored as a URL within a bookmark in most popular web browsers, or within hyperlinks on a web page
Can I modify Camino's interface?
Yes, to an extent. You can find interface elements and installation instructions on this page You can also use the 3rd party app CaminIcon to install Camino themes.

Where can I find add-ons for Camino?
They're on this thread. It also incorporates some of the information mentioned on this FAQ

You could also check out Pimp My Camino. A repository of all things to do with Camino modifications, run by David Feare and Jon Hicks.

What happened to CamiTools, CamiScript, and other add-ons from nadamac?
nadamac discontinued its Camino add-ons in 2006, and they were last compatible with Camino 1.0. If you still have any of these add-ons installed, you should remove all traces of them at once (the installer/uninstaller that shipped with each add-on may help you remove all of the pieces). These add-ons will cause Camino to crash on launch, pages not to render correctly, and other undesirable behaviors.

What happened to CaminoSession?
Willmore.eu retired CaminoSession after Camino added built-in session saving. If you have any versions of CaminoSession installed, you should remove them; certain versions of CaminoSession will prevent Camino from loading any web pages.
Last edited by Snow7 on April 9th, 2006, 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Different versions of Camino
What is the difference between the official releases and the nightly versions?
An official release is a version deemed suitable and stable enough for public use. The nightlies include the latest improvements and changes intended for the next official release of Camino, but no guarantees are made to its stability or usability.

Where can I download Camino nightlies?
This directory lists all the different Camino nightlies that has ever been released, listed by date with the latest version residing at the bottom. You can download the current nightly directly from the Camino website's Contribute page as well.

CaminoKnight lets you download and install the latest nightly every night. Please note that this is 3rd party software.

Where can I see what's been changed, fixed, or added in recent nightlies?
N.B. These links refer to old CVS-based Camino nightlies and do not show activity for Camino 2.1a1pre nightlies.
This bonsai link shows changes mde in the past week. If you like to go further, here's the list for changes in the past month.

We discuss which official nightly builds are solid and new problems that have appeared in this thread (fall 2007 edition).

What is a trunk build and what is a branch build?
Please refer to the Firefox Trunk & Branch Builds FAQ.

In regards to Camino, the optimized nightlies listed below are developed from trunk code at the builder's discretion unless otherwise noted. Trunk builds are designated as 2.0a1pre and branch nightlies are 1.6xnpre where x is either a for alpha or b for beta and n is a numerical value, eg 1 or 2, referring to the first or second release. For example:
Camino 1.6a1pre : a nightly build appearing before the first alpha release intended for Camino 1.6.

In short:
1.8.0 Branch = Camino 1.0.x
1.8.1 Branch = Camino 1.5, Camino 1.6.x
Camino 1.5 Branch = Camino 1.5.x
Camino 2.0 Branch = Camino 2.0.x
camino Hg repository = Camino 2.1 and beyond.

What is an optimized version?
It is a version of Camino built for specific processors, eg. PowerPC G3, G4, G5, or Intel Core Duo. A number of forum members have threads here for their optimized builds; look for their threads, or you can find optimized versions on
PimpMyCamino's listing of optimized builds.
Please note that these builds are 3rd party software, and optimizers may stop building at any time. DO NOT report bugs discovered in these builds unless the bug exists in the corresponding official branch or trunk nightly.

How do I know what processor I run?
Click on the Apple logo on the top left of your screen and choose About This Mac.
For PowerPC G4 chips, generally,
  • G4 350MHz to 500MHz are ppc7400 (older G4 including 741x)
  • G4 667MHz and faster are ppc7450 (newer G4 including 744x)
  • G4 533 or 550MHz -> Open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities, type the word machine and hit enter to find out precisely which type of G4 chip you have.
Camino 1.0 is Universal Binary which means it is directly compatible with the new Intel based Macs as well as PowerPC Macs.

How can I build my own version of Camino?
You can find instructions for it on the Camino website.

I move between Macs a lot. Is there a portable version that can keep my bookmarks as I move?
Yes. krmathis has a Portable Camino 2.x posted on his website. The instructions to use it are available inside the disk image. FreeSMUG.org has portable versions of Camino 1.6.x here.

Is Camino available for other operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc)?
No. Camino is a Mac OS X project that taps into specific frameworks and services available only in Mac OS X. As mentioned previously, Camino is purposely created for Mac OS X.
Last edited by Uncle Asad on November 16th, 2010, 4:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: krmathis and freesmug are both back
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

Miscellaneous
How do I set Camino as the default browser?
Camino 0.9 and newer have the ability to set the default browser from within the application's preferences, accessible from Camino>Preferences>General.

I want my spell-checker and Dictionary lookup!!!!
Spell-checking is present in Camino 1.5 and newer, but support for dictionary lookup depends on accessibility support in Gecko not planned until after Gecko 1.9.1, at the earliest.

MIME/file extension mapping
The ability to decide which program handles a downloaded file is not the job of a browser. This feature rests with the operating system as it affects file handling in general. You may set default apps through Get Info in Finder or by downloading RCDefaultApp, a 3rd party program.

Single window mode
Please refer to this thread before asking if Camino can force links that open in a new window to open in a new tab instead. This feature is part of Camino 1.5 and newer.

Camino needs RSS!
Camino is not intended to be a Swiss Army Knife Internet tool. The extent of Camino's RSS/Atom support will be its ability to detect a feed and hand that feed off to the reader of your choice. This functionality is part of Camino 1.5 and newer.

Can I use web-based feed readers with Camino?
Yes, Camino 1.6 and newer ship with support for passing feeds to Google, My Yahoo!, and Bloglines.

Does Camino support Live Bookmarks?
No. However, according to Macskeeball, "For Live Bookmarks but better, give RSS Menu a try. Be sure to go through its preferences. Enjoy."

What can we expect from Camino in the future?
You may ask about specific features and fixes in this thread.

Alternatively, you can check out Bugzilla to see the list of bugs that have been submitted for Camino or you can search for a specific entry for Camino

Many other common questions about using and configuring Camino are already answered in the Support and FAQ sections of the website. Please check to see if your question has been answered there before posting it in this forum.

3rd party software
Third party software are listed on this FAQ for your convenience. Camino developers are not responsible for any issues arising from the use of such software. You are however welcomed to ask questions regarding them in this forum and you are also advised to contact the developers of such software should you have any questions about them.
Last edited by Snow7 on February 27th, 2006, 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

HELP!
How do I search just the Camino forum? I want to search before asking a question, but I keep finding only stuff about Firefox?
The MozillaZine forum search has been dumbed-down for some time now. Instead of searching using the box in the right column, click on the Old link in that search box; on that page choose "Camino" from the "Forum" menu and "3 months" from the "Search previous" menu, and enter your search in the "Search for keywords" field.

Something's wrong with my Camino, help!
Are you using an optimized build, a nightly build or a stable release? Refer to the post above regarding the different versions.

This section assumes basic Mac OS X skills and knowledge on the part of the user including copying, pasting, and file navigation.

Before reporting a problem, please make sure that it does not lie with your configuration by performing all of the following if necessary:

A. Check the Release Notes
The Release Notes file is available inside the Camino disk image that you downloaded. It contains a listing of features and issues already known to the developers at the time of release. If your issue falls under this list then there's no need for reporting it.

B. Create a fresh user profile
Like Firefox, Camino uses a user profile folder to store bookmarks, add-ons, and other settings other than its preferences. A few of Camino's preferences are stored in a file named org.mozilla.camino.plist located in home/Library/Preferences, but most are stored in the profile folder.

A fresh installation of Camino creates a Camino folder inside home/Library/Application Support/ with the default contents. By using Camino you may have made changes to it such as adding bookmarks, additional preference panes, plug-ins and custom css. Should anything go wrong, you can create a fresh profile to see if it works properly without your modifications.

If you are using Camino 1.5 or newer, you can temporarily run Camino with a fresh profile by simply dragging the Camino application onto the Troubleshoot Camino app. Camino will use a fresh profile for that one session only.

If the problem goes away when running with Troubleshoot Camino, you can either create a new profile on a permanent basis or try to narrow down the cause of the problem. Instructions to guide you are here.

Note that if you have installed many third-party add-ons, these add-ons may install items in /Library/InputManagers or [home]/Library/InputManagers and will not be disabled by creating a new profile. If you have installed any add-ons and are experiencing a problem, be sure to remove any parts of the add-ons from the InputManger folders as well.

Camino also installs a Camino folder inside home/Library/Caches which may be removed along with the preferences file if you like. By removing the profile and cache folders as well as the preferences file, Camino will be returned to its absolute default configuration. Should you wish to restore your bookmarks, search engines and other settings, you can move or copy the files from the old folder to the new one.

B2. Remove pluginreg.dat - Flash/QuickTime related
If Camino is having problems with plugins such as being unable to play Flash, QuickTime movies, or other media content, it may be a good idea to trash a file called pluginreg.dat inside the Camino profile folder before going through the steps to create a fresh user profile. That file may have been corrupted somehow and removing it will prompt Camino to regenerate a new version of the file. Explanation on the Camino Support FAQ web page

C. Download the latest stable release
If the problem persists which is likely if you're using a nightly build, you might want to try downloading an official release from the website.

If your problem is related to plug-ins such as java, pdf, and flash, try installing the latest versions from their respective websites. Type about:plugins in the address bar for more information about the plug-ins you have installed.

D. Restart your computer
Sometimes issues such as lagging may be fixed by restarting your Mac. This will return resources that may have been tied up by other processes even if they are no longer running.

E. Try a new Mac OS X user account
You can create a new Mac OS X user account through System Preferences>Accounts.

F. Try Camino on a completely different computer if available.
If you have more than one Mac, you can check to see if the problem may be caused by something specific to the other Mac.

What to include when asking questions in this forum
When reporting a problem in this forum, please make sure you include
  • your Mac OS X version (from the Apple Menu>About this Mac)
  • your Camino build version (from Camino>About Camino or by typing the following code in your location bar: javascript:document.write(navigator.userAgent) ), and
  • Full URL of the page(s) or website(s) where you are having the problem.
  • If you need to include a screenshot to illustrate the behavior, you can upload a screenshot to an image-hosting site like ImageShack and paste the "Forum" code into your post here. (If your screenshot is large, you should use the "Thumbs" or "Thumbnail" option and paste that "Forum" code here instead.)
  • If you have a Mac OS X crash log or a sample, please paste the contents into a new posting on pastebin.mozilla.org and then include the link to your pastebin in your post on this forum. Please do not paste the contents of crash logs or samples into forum posts.