Hotmail Negative Vibes

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TygerTyger

Hotmail Negative Vibes

Post by TygerTyger »

Is anyone else getting this message at least 50% of the time trying to get emails from Hotmail? I never used to, it's happened since I upgraded Tbird and the Hotmail extension, although that's probably a coincidence since I suspect it's Hotmails fault. It just seems so annoyingly random, I can restart Tbird 10 times and it refuses to connect, then I can just leave it and after a while it starts :oS

But could anyone enlighten me why this is happening, or at least if I'm not the only one.
larkas

Post by larkas »

You forgot tell us the message, but I suspect that unless you signed up for Hotmail Plus, it has to do with the fact that Hotmail no longer allows HTTPmail access, the method used by many of the programs that allow you to connect and download mail from Hotmail.
TygerTyger

Post by TygerTyger »

The messages in the title. Messages could not be retrieved, negative vibes. That's it. My suspicion was the same as yours, but that wouldn't quite explain why it works half the time,
larkas

Post by larkas »

The message is definitely from a cute software programmer. It is probably timing out on retrieving your Hotmail by scraping the page, then.
Mda

More on negative vibes

Post by Mda »

I'm using Web-Mail extension often getting this one - "Sending of password did not succeed mail server localhost responded: negative vibes"- when trying to connect to hotmail account.
TygerTyger

Post by TygerTyger »

Yeah that's the one. Sounds like a connection problem except it works on and off all the time. As I say, I'd be inclined to blame MS cracking down, but it wouldn't happen like this :oS

Post by Guest »

I was looking into this couple of days and now the thing is just going pretty bad all the time , at leat last two days. After some googling about the problem I found that this kind of problems arise from time to time for many software which intended to make Web based mail account like hotmail or yahoo work as pop3 in email client. Usually after some changes in protocols or site design. Hopefully this will be addressed by extension developer 'cause Web-mail is really good and useful.
alanrf

Post by alanrf »

Despite all the guesses, it is because MSN has made changes to the Hotmail login process.

By the way it has nothing whatsoever to do with Web access to free Hotmail accounts being stopped - that still works just fine.

The solution will depend on what product you use to bring Hotmail messages into Thunderbird. Two of the main free solutions, FreePops and MrPostman, are just about unable to function though they might get through from time to time.

I am unaware of the status of a fix for MrPostman (support for which has been somewhat tenuous recently).

An solution for FreePops may be found here:

http://freepops.diludovico.it/index.php ... 09&st=45&#

----follow the page down to the post of "CaptainYesterday"

The Hotmail extension for Thunderbird has been updated and can be downloaded to resume access.

It can be found : http://downloads.mozdev.org/webmail/hotmail-0-4-2.xpi

If you are a user of Pop Peeper then update information is available at their website.

If your Hotmail account has WebDav access and you use Hotmail Popper then you are probably not here looking for a solution or, if you stumbled in here, you are wondering what the fuss is all about.
TygerTyger

Post by TygerTyger »

Confirmed, the new 0-4-2 Hotmail extension fixed the problem for me, thank you VERY much alanrf. I was thrown slightly because the update checker in Tbird found no extension updates (still doesn't) and I didn't think to check manually.

Thank you once again, long may I be able to check hotmail with Tbird, it was immensely deflated to find I couldn't.
The Reverend

NEgative vibes

Post by The Reverend »

Well i updated to 0.4.2 hotmail... but it didn't fix the problem... i even tried to change the port.. but nothing!
Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

fixed it for me..

The Reverend, are you sure you set server name to localhost?
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

@laughing man: yes i did!

there's also another strange thing int hotmail extension options, i cannot select screenrip or webdav cuz in the Webdav tab there is no account written in the box...
how could i fix it? i have mozilla TB 1.0
TygerTyger

Post by TygerTyger »

Getting the latest Tbird would be a good start.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

got 1.0.2... still no success, got the error message again and still i have no accountin the options menu of hotmail extension!

Post by Guest »

weird beahviour... i'm stuck from a couple of days but a friend of mine could access hotmail trough thunderbird yesterday.. but no more today.. same "negative vibes" msg
he as 1.02 and hotmail 0.4.2... like me!