MozillaZine

Experiencing Firefox lockups/freezing/not responding??

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
crizkeeth

Post Posted May 23rd, 2005, 2:58 pm

Well, after sifting through a bunch of posts suggesting all sorts of culprits for this seemingly common problem, namely deleting then creating a new profile, bad extentions/plug ins, or the infamous hyper-threading cause, none ever applied to my situation.

The problem? MS Antispyware! I came across another post of one individual that found this program running in the background to be the cause of his Firefox freezing, and when I terminated Antispyware, sure enough, Firefox was solid... no lockups anymore. I reinstalled antispyware to experiment, opened firefox and had ASW running in the background, and again, Firefox went to hell.

No more antispyware for me... makes you wonder... is MS starting to get a little more nervous about Firefox? So nervous that they would design their up and coming spyware app (antispyware) to make Firefox look bad? Haha..who knows. Anyway, thats my story.

hellene

Post Posted May 23rd, 2005, 3:37 pm

Thanks, guess that needs adding to the list of things to try if someone is having problems
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

AnotherGuest.

Post Posted July 25th, 2005, 5:58 am

Thanks, crizkeeth. Maybe you need to edit the subject line to make it more visible. There must be scores of posts about freezing, etc., but only a few about MS Antispyware causing it.

sassiegemstone

Post Posted September 7th, 2005, 9:01 am

crizkeeth wrote:Well, after sifting through a bunch of posts suggesting all sorts of culprits for this seemingly common problem, namely deleting then creating a new profile, bad extentions/plug ins, or the infamous hyper-threading cause, none ever applied to my situation.

The problem? MS Antispyware! I came across another post of one individual that found this program running in the background to be the cause of his Firefox freezing, and when I terminated Antispyware, sure enough, Firefox was solid... no lockups anymore. I reinstalled antispyware to experiment, opened firefox and had ASW running in the background, and again, Firefox went to hell.

No more antispyware for me... makes you wonder... is MS starting to get a little more nervous about Firefox? So nervous that they would design their up and coming spyware app (antispyware) to make Firefox look bad? Haha..who knows. Anyway, thats my story.

Same here but I uninstalled MS Antispyware and it still crashes and freezes. I cannot install extensions or themes. Just today it created 10 error reports in 10 minutes.

Is there a way I can Firefox create like a bug report and send it to Mozilla?

I really love Firefox but I am starting to have my doubts.

Non-stop freezing or crashing going on here.

By the way, the flashblock extension caused it to and man trying to unistall it was impossible.

I have XP Pro Service Pack 2, Avast Anti-virus, Spyware Blaster

AnotherGuest.

Post Posted September 7th, 2005, 12:04 pm

Start Fx in Firefox safe mode, and you should probably be able to uninstall themes and extensions from there.

If not, you will need to create a new profile.

If that doesn't work, uninstall Fx (using Add/Remove programs) and reinstall. Then you'll have a pristine, new copy.

Post Posted September 7th, 2005, 12:08 pm

AnotherGuest. wrote:Start Fx in Firefox safe mode, and you should probably be able to uninstall themes and extensions from there.

If not, you will need to create a new profile.

If that doesn't work, uninstall Fx (using Add/Remove programs) and reinstall. Then you'll have a pristine, new copy.
I have done that already and the extensions and themes from the last install are already there.

how do I create a new profile?

AnotherGuest.

Post Posted September 7th, 2005, 12:50 pm

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
See the section on troubleshooting.

Post Posted November 12th, 2009, 5:15 am

as far as i know i dont have ms spy wear and my firefox has been horrid on both pc and laptop lately

LIMPET235

Post Posted November 12th, 2009, 5:21 am

Guest...
If you have a problem, please start a new thread & leave these oldies to R.I.P.
Thank you.
Locking.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Firefox Support