SeaMonkey is the official name...

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
BenBasson

SeaMonkey is the official name...

Post by BenBasson »

...so stop your pathetic whining and accept it. It is trademarked. It is done. In about two months you'll have all accepted it, the tech press will have written about it and nobody will think twice about using it.

There are plenty of projects that survive with names you also most likely hate, two examples would be Firefox and Apache. They're non-descriptive, non-professional names that are as much linked to the computer world as most of you guys seem to be linked to the real one.

Get over it. There are plenty of things you can be doing with this forum that actually matter, like helping the SeaMonkey (tm) developers get towards the 1.0 milestone release.
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

Cusser wrote:There are plenty of things you can be doing with this forum that actually matter, like helping the SeaMonkey (tm) developers get towards the 1.0 milestone release.

Well said, Cusser, well said!! :biggrin:

I have not been as active in the forums since starting my classes last month. I knew there was some people who were not happy about the SeaMonkey name, but I obviously missed out on something. To me, the name is a mute point as the primary focus should be testing and getting a released SeaMonkey 1.0 out the door. Just adding my two cents.
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

Okay, guys. Any discussion of the new name can take place in this single thread. Please try to keep this friendly and constructive - and this goes for everybody. If you don't like the name, feel free to say so. But, at the same time, it is what it is. (Isn't that a line from one of the Idol shows?) Anyway. Given that the new name is SeaMonkey, and that's not going to change (at least anytime soon that I can see), try to think of ways that positive (if you see the name as a negative) spin can be applied.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

It's sad that the namechange had to spark so much insulting and childish comments. Yet it's peculiar that the only place on the web where the SeaMonkey name was criticized was SeaMonkey General on MozillaZine. Why it never made to the blogs or outside MozillaZine if the situation was that horrible?

I don't hate the name and I don't think anyone *really* hates as much as they claim. Nothing more than a bunch of opportunists. I wouldn't dare to flame the Council like that even if the name was "SeaInfluenza" or "BradPitt".

By the way, when will this announcement hit the MozillaZine frontpage?

<b>EDIT</b>: Wow, this is cool: <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/">www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/</a>
Logo? Website? <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/banners/">Banners</a>? T-shirts? Can't wait!
sometimes browsing these internets makes me laffo
Mozilla Suite user --- SeaMonkey supporter
(away for several months)
Pim

Post by Pim »

I'm a bit puzzled by this bit in the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/news.html#2005-07-02">official announcement</a>:
the Foundation doesn't consider the new SeaMonkey application to be an officially supported upgrade path for Mozilla suite users

What does the Mozilla Foundation see as an upgrade path for Suite users then? Deer Park?
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

There are plenty of projects that survive with names you also most likely hate, two examples would be Firefox and Apache.

But Firefox sounds cool. Always has been to me. Especially with the logo.
What does the Mozilla Foundation see as an upgrade path for Suite users then? Deer Park?

Firefox, I guess.

I don't mind the new name. It's how the outsiders will view SeaMonkey that bothers me.
The council is working on having this name trademarked with the help of the Mozilla Foundation.

How is the name trademarked then?
KaiRo

Re: SeaMonkey is the official name...

Post by KaiRo »

Cusser wrote:It is trademarked.

It's not yet. But the process for it is at a stage where we can publicly use it without causing problems and where we more or less know that it will be (unless something happens that could not be expected in any way).

Cusser wrote:two examples would be Firefox and Apache.

Not to forget "Mozilla", which was a bad internal joke at the beginning ("Mosaic killer") and even sounded like it was cloned from a movie monster (Godzilla). We've all grown to like it though...

BTW, Apache also was a joke, AFAIK, being derived from "a patchy webserver"...
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

This may be off-topic, but...
Pim wrote:I'm a bit puzzled by this bit in the official announcement:
the Foundation doesn't consider the new SeaMonkey application to be an officially supported upgrade path for Mozilla suite users

Of course SeaMonkey is the desirable upgrade path for all Mozilla Suite users and for some Firefox users, too!

They'll finally get a real Internet Suite which is also being supported as a #1 product by a pack of professional developers and a real community -- not a ruling elite foundation. We can finally have a choice between two wonderful mature browser software, one developed by a community and another by a closed not-so-non-profit organization.

Both are open source, of cource, and everyone is free submit patches. But still -- There's a slight difference in politics.
sometimes browsing these internets makes me laffo
Mozilla Suite user --- SeaMonkey supporter
(away for several months)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Errr, I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but SeaMonkey's checkin procedures are tighter than Firefox's.

What was that insinuation about MoFo not being non-profit? Do you have any evidence of that, or are you just being incredibly infantile?

- Chris
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

Pim wrote:

Yes, exactly. See Asa's blog posts. Of course, their official strategy is with their official products.

OTOH, of course we clearly see SeaMonkey as the ideal upgrade path, and MoFo also sees it as an unofficial upgrade path. But as they don't support or maintain our application, they can's officialy support it as an upgrade path.

This has more to do with corporate politics than anythings else, of course.
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

You guys need someone to draw a pretty graphic of a monkey snorkelling... or something.
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

Cusser wrote:You guys need someone to draw a pretty graphic of a monkey snorkelling... or something.

We'll lay out rules for logo submissions soon (we have those in the works) and be open for them soon. The current artwork is just a plceholder for the logo we'll get out of those.
Pim

Post by Pim »

I've had this graphic for weeks...
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Well, I suppose having SeaMonkey™ as the official name makes it easier for the old timers... *shrug*

What's in a name anyway?
Glanz

Post by Glanz »

Just one more whine: (PleeeZZZeee?)
I still think that "Garden Slug" would have been a better name. Or perhaps "Earth Worm"....
~(,,_,,`>