Mozilla 1.7.8 won't start

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
PLU_CATS

Mozilla 1.7.8 won't start

Post by PLU_CATS »

Hello All!

We recently preformed an upgrade from Mozilla 1.7.x (don't know exactly which version to be perfectly honest) to 1.7.8 and then the Mozilla Browser and Mozilla Mail all stopped functioning. The odd part is, we have done 150+ of these already (college campus summer upgrades) and have not had this happen at all, with the exception of one computer that was having a failing hard disk. The computer is a Dell OptiPlex GX270 running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (this was installed JUST prior to the browser not working - in other words, it has not worked SINCE Service Pack 2 was installed). Under the hood for hardware we have a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 512MB of RAM and an 80GB (I believe, SATA) hard disk with plenty of free space.

We have tried the following steps in troubleshooting this problem, with zero success:

- Restarting the computer
- Running in Safe mode
- Running as an administratior
- Re-installing Mozilla over the top of the current installation (this ir oringally how the current version was "upgraded", but it's been done again)
- Removing Mozilla completely and re-installing
- Ran Dell's Hard Disk diagnostics (passed all "extensive" tests)
- Tried all the steps listed here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic

Basically, everything short of pulling our hair out and re-installing Windows XP. When starting the executable absolutly nothing happens. Nothing in the taskbar (or task manager for that matter) - Almost as if it never got clicked to begin with.

We're getting close to being out of ideas - any of you folks have some?

Regards,

Joey DiJulio
CATS PC Tech
Pacific Lutheran University
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

What do you mean by "stopped functioning"? Does Mozilla start up but not load webpages? Will it load local HTML files? Does IE (or any other application that wants internet access) work? Is the WinXP firewall set to allow Mozilla access? Um, that's all that I can think of at the moment.
PLU_CATS

Post by PLU_CATS »

As I said in my first post, nothing happens. I don't know how else to say it :)

I click on Mozilla (or Mozilla Mail, to try and bring up the E-Mail client). And, nothing happens at all. Nothing on the toolbar, nothing opens, nothing in Task Manager / Process Explorer, no window, just nothing.

Just, as if I hadn't ever clicked on Mozilla. Nothing *at all* happens.

IE works without any problems whatsoever. As far as the Windows XP firewall (which is turned on) I don't know what that would have to do with anything in terms of opening up a webpage. Maybe more to the point, 150+ machines have already had the exact same process applied to them, and they all open up. This machine, simply, doesn't.

Anyone have any further ideas?
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

The only thing that I can suggest is a complete removal of Mozilla and then re-install. I know that you say that you did this, but did you include the profile(s) as well?

Delete the Mozilla installation directory, and the profile directory in c:/documents and settings/<username>/application data/mozilla/profiles/<profile name>

There's some registry settings as well, but I can't remember where they are. Just search for Mozilla.
Old incognu

Post by Old incognu »

You might want to delete the gre folder as part of your uninstall/reinstall:
Äkiidoll wrote:Un-install Mozilla . . . first><b>delete the Gre
(found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\mozilla.org)</b> >
. . . reboot windows >now install
1.7.8 > . . . reboot windows >launch Mozilla 1.7.8 and test.

- from another thread (edited quote).

You might also try a zip build instead of the installer ... just guessing.
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

inconnu: good point. I had forgotten about the GRE.
therube

Post by therube »

Some sort of executable blocker installed?
And it is blocking Mozilla.exe?

Try renaming Mozilla.exe to plucats.exe & see if that makes any difference.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript