MozillaZine

Download Manager Tweak 0.6.3

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Seamaiden

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 6:54 am

http://dmextension.mozdev.org/

This extension is not working properly. The default Firefox download manager keeps popping up instead of the new pretty DME one that is shown in the link above. What could be the problem?

In Tools -> Options -> Download, these two options are greyed out:

1. Show download manager window when a download begins
2. Close download manager when all downloads are complete

When the download popup does come up, Open with is always grayed out no matter what I am downloading, so I can never "run a file from its current location." I have to download files first and then open them.

Is this normal? If there is a toolbar for DME, it is not showing up. It does not appear in View -> Toolbars either. The DME Options are set to open in a sidebar.

FreshDownload integration with firefox has been disabled. It was enabled, but disabling it did not fix the problem with this extension. Uninstalling and reinstalling the DME extension did not help either. Please help. Thanks.

Firefox 1.0.4
DME 0.6.3
Windows XP Pro SP2

P.S. There does not seem to be a way to post a picture in this message. I see no option to insert an image or a file. If there was, I could show you some screenshots.
Last edited by Old Seamaiden on July 11th, 2005, 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old Seamaiden

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 6:59 am

DME 0.6.6 has the same problem. Still no pretty interface. Could there be a conflict with other firefox extensions? Here are the ones that are currently installed.

NoScript 1.0.9
Adblock v5 d2 * nightly 39
CustomizeGoogle 0.21
TabBrowser Preferences 1.2.7.1
Groowe Search Toolbar 1.0.9
MR Tech About:About 1.2.0
WellRounded 0.41
Resize Search Box 0.0.6
a4seo 0.3
PDF Download 0.5
Mozilla Archive Format 0.43 (opens archives but does not save them, no Save As Archive option)
fireFTP (do not know if this works or not)
Download Manager Tweak 0.6.6

Others were previously installed and were removed. There are no themes installed for firefox, but there are for thunderbird. The Java plugin and WMP plugins are installed, and the ActiveX plugin (extension) is installed, but it does not show up in extensions. Acrobat 6 Standard (full version) is installed, but it does not integrate with firefox (no toolbar). I hope this is enough relevant information. The system is stable. No viruses, spyware, etc.

Or could there be too many security programs running at once? Could one of them be interfering? They seem to work fine with the default download manager for firefox. They pop up alerts sometimes on bad web sites the way they're supposed to. And sometimes if I have trouble with a particular site, the problem is often privacy settings in ZoneAlarm, script settings with NoScript, or something in the hosts file.

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro
Antivirus: NOD32
Antitrojan: A2, Ewido
Antispy/Antiad: Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot's TeaTimer, Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch, SpywareGuard
Script Blocker: AnalogX Script Defender, SpywareGuard
Prevention: SpywareBlaster, hosts file

Lazlo Woodbine

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 8:55 am

seamaiden wrote:http://dmextension.mozdev.org/

This extension is not working properly. The default Firefox download manager keeps popping up instead of the new pretty DME one that is shown in the link above. What could be the problem?

In Tools -> Options -> Download, these two options are greyed out:

1. Show download manager window when a download begins
2. Close download manager when all downloads are complete

That's exactly how it should be. Those refer to Firefox's own download manager, not the extension.

When the download popup does come up, Open with is always grayed out no matter what I am downloading, so I can never "run a file from its current location." I have to download files first and then open them.

DME won't give you the "run a file from its current location" function. For that you'll want OpenDownload from http://mozmonkey.com/

Is this normal? If there is a toolbar for DME, it is not showing up. It does not appear in View -> Toolbars either. The DME Options are set to open in a sidebar.

Then something is wrong, because it sounds as though you're getting the standard download window opening instead of the enhanced one.

FreshDownload integration with firefox has been disabled. It was enabled, but disabling it did not fix the problem with this extension. Uninstalling and reinstalling the DME extension did not help either. Please help. Thanks.

Certainly having FreshDownload integration enabled wouldn't have allowed this extension to work, but I would expect it to work with that disabled. Have you tried uninstalling Fresh Download?

Lazlo Woodbine

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 8:58 am

seamaiden wrote:DME 0.6.6 has the same problem. Still no pretty interface. Could there be a conflict with other firefox extensions?

Disable them all apart from DME, restart FF and see if the problem is still there. If it isn't then one by one reenable the extensions, restart FF, and check again. When DME fails then the last extension you've reenabled is the problem.

Old Seamaiden

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 10:05 am

Thank you for responding. :D

Let me say that the Mozilla Default Plugin was enabled and then renamed, so there are no further prompts to install plugins.

1. Uninstall all Firefox extensions except for DME. See if the problem persists.

The problem persists. When clicking on a download, the regular download manager pops up even though I have it configured for the sidebar: "What should firefox do with this file?" The "Open with" option is available on most sites, but the "Save to Disk" option does come up on some sites and downloads. The downloads appear in the sidebar only after they are completed.

2. Uninstall & reinstall DME. See if the problem persists.

The problem persists. The regular download manager still pops up for every download. The downloads appear in the sidebar only after they are completed. No Download toolbar shows up under View -> Toolbars, but it does show up under Sidebar. In that sidebar under Tools, there are options for Retry, Remove, Clean Up, and Properties if I click on a download in the list. Was the DME plugin fully removed when I uninstalled it? it seems to have left some files behind. When I re-installed it, it has all the same settings I had before, and I do not think sidebar was a default setting. I think I changed it to that from something else. Where does MDE save its settings? Is there a file I should delete somewhere under C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data....? If so, which file(s) and what is the path?

3. Uninstall DME, create a new firefox profile, and reinstall DME. See if the problem persists.

This is the next step, but I have never done this before and my need help.

4. Uninstall FreshDownload. See if the problem persists.

FreshDownload is still configured to integrate with IE, my default browser. Should I still uninstall it?

(It's a shame that DownloadWith does not work with Firefox 1.0.4. I would have liked that for better integration of FreshDownload 7.32 with Firefox. That extension will probably be updated in time. It is a shame also that MDE will not work at all with FreshDownload. Maybe in the future there may be a way they can work together where users can decide which download manager handles each particular download with a prompt: "Do you want to download this file with MDE or with FD?")

5. Is there another choice if the problem still persists?

Lazlo Woodbine

Post Posted July 11th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Apologies for incomplete answers: it's late here, but I'm trying to give you something to work with.

1. What seems odd is that the enhanced download manager is taking over, but only after the download is finished.

2. You won't have a download toolbar show up; DME doesn't have a toolbar, so that's not surprising. The settings will be retained over uninstall and reinstall.

3. No need to uninstall DME in the first profile, just create the new one and see if it works properly there.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile should help you.

4. Use the Flashgot extension to integrate FreshDownload:
http://www.flashgot.net/whats

5. I can't think of another similar extension, which suggests that most people aren't having problems with it I guess.

Return to Extension Development