Post by nilson »

So stop posting new threads about it.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

Thanks for the sour persimmons, cousin.
nilson

Post by nilson »

Did I mention you in the post?

This is directed at everyone, nothing personal.
bkc777

Win32 Build Box Down

Post by bkc777 »

Yes, the build machine is down. What, though, is taking so long to get it back up and running again? And, if the machine has been permanently incapacitated, what is preventing a new box from being commissioned for service?

A product manager (or somebody posing as one) must try to get this situation resolved sooner as opposed to later. Firebird has built considerable momentum among Windows users, and it would be a shame to see that momentum squandered by internal myopia.
nilson

Post by nilson »

IIRC, no one is getting paid to do anything, so unfortunately, it's going to get fixed whenever someone feels like it.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

If it's a hardware prob, I'm willing to donate, either $$$ or parts.
Lighten up, Francis
bkc777

Post by bkc777 »

Well, that might change at some point (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1336449,00.asp). If they want to get there, it's wise not to alienate an enthusiastic core of loyal supporters.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

bkc777 wrote:Well, that might change at some point (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1336449,00.asp). If they want to get there, it's wise not to alienate an enthusiastic core of loyal supporters.
Woah, build machine down for two weeks would alienate loyal supporters? Plus how many users can detail the must-have changes that have been made in the past two weeks, which our 'loyal supporters' have been unable to test?
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
bkc777

Post by bkc777 »

vfwlkr wrote:
bkc777 wrote:Well, that might change at some point (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1336449,00.asp). If they want to get there, it's wise not to alienate an enthusiastic core of loyal supporters.
Woah, build machine down for two weeks would alienate loyal supporters? Plus how many users can detail the must-have changes that have been made in the past two weeks, which our 'loyal supporters' have been unable to test?

With regard to the build machine, it's been down two weeks . . . and counting. For all we know, with the lack of urgency in getting it up and running again, it could be much longer before the problem is resolved. As for the detailing of must-have changes, it's all a moot point if the software doesn't make it onto the machines of real users, no?

Look, Mozilla has a "problem" a lot of software developers would love to have: People actually look forward eagerly to downloading and using the latest iterations of their software. It can be a good thing for everybody if you harness the momentum and remain responsive to the user community.
zachspoelstra

Post by zachspoelstra »

Does anyone know why the build machine is down? That might help clear a lot of this posting up. If everyone knows that the build box is down and that it is XYZ problem, they will most likely not keep posting threads about.

I dont necessarily NEED to run a new nightly every day but since I dont code in any of the languages they use, testing builds lets me feel like I am helping out by reporting bugs.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the build box is down.... :banana:
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

bkc777 wrote:Look, Mozilla has a "problem" a lot of software developers would love to have: People actually look forward eagerly to downloading and using the latest iterations of their software. It can be a good thing for everybody if you harness the momentum and remain responsive to the user community.
I appreciate your good intentions, and I'm sure mozilla firebird developers value the fact that users are eagerly awaiting nightlies. So there must be a very good reason the build box is still down, right?

zachspoelstra wrote:Just wondering if anyone knows why the build box is down.... :banana:

The people who would know why it is down are probably the same ones that would fix it, so you can count on it being fixed once the problem is known.

AFAIK, the last few members of the transition team at AOL winded up end of september, and that is about the time win32 build machine went down. Probably it was taken down from AOL builiding, and still needs to be setup at new location - just idle speculation.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
whorfin

Post by whorfin »

Just wondering if anyone knows why the build box is down....

Sounds like a legit question to me.
Lighten up, Francis
nilson

Post by nilson »

vfwlkr wrote:...
AFAIK, the last few members of the transition team at AOL winded up end of september, and that is about the time win32 build machine went down. Probably it was taken down from AOL builiding, and still needs to be setup at new location - just idle speculation....

That looks like it is probably right...
klausk

Post by klausk »

whorfin wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows why the build box is down....

Sounds like a legit question to me.

I mailed it 11. 10. to Asa Dotzler, who was responsible in the past. Formerly they have forgotten it simply,
but today they know about.
ann-dee-roo

Post by ann-dee-roo »

Just to put in my two cents (again) from a Unix point of view:

1) Yes the official Win32 nightlies aren't being built right now but there are at least two users on this forum building Windows builds every day that I see. Any features that would be in the official nightlies will be in these, so what's the difference? If you absolutely must have the latest features and are that adament about reporting bugs and helping out development, use those.

If none of these are useable for you because of CPU specific optimizations or you just want to emulate the official nightly builds, there is a sticky post at the top of forum with several excellent links to information about building it yourself with free tools.

2) The official Linux GTK2+XFT nightlies haven't even be able to start for me and a few others I know since September 29th. I'm sure there's more people I don't know about having the same problem and there's only been one post about this; why so many about the Win32 builds?

3) The majority of platforms don't get binary nightlies at *all*. Sure the userbase might not be as big as Windows, but there might a crippling bug in, say FreeBSD, that won't be found at all until the next release (0.7) and won't be fixed until the next minor (0.7.x).