Error Code -8065 During TBird Installation

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
halo2518

Error Code -8065 During TBird Installation

Post by halo2518 »

I just downloaded TBird 1.06. When I unpack and attempt to copy the file to applications directory I get the "Unable to complete ... Error Code -8065."

Please help.
escoles

Post by escoles »

I get the same error. Here are the steps to repeat:

1. Download from Mozilla.org
2. Moung disk image
3. Drag Thunderbird.app to Applications folder
4. Error message returned; action not completed. (Appears to be a Finder error -- window title bar is labeled "Copy".)

System is OS X 10.4.2.

Can't see anything about this in Bugzilla.
halo2518

Post by halo2518 »

Thanks for the post; I am still getting the same error.

Anyone else have any recommendations for this error.

System is also OS X 10.4.2
escoles

Post by escoles »

Sorry, I meant to reply here with the workaround -- thought I did, but obviously I must have gotten sidetracked.

To work around this:

1. Find Thunderbird.app in applications folder, and rename to "thunderbird.app" (note lower-case "t").
2. Mount disk image (you will note that the app file name is "thunderbird.app").
3. Drag Thunderbird from disk image to applications folder.

The problem is due to case-sensitivity in the OS X filesystem; apparently it carries over from the last release (1.0.5, if you knew it existed, which most people didn't), and wasn't fixed then, either. This won't be fixed *as a bug* until 1.0.6, according to Bugzilla, by which time they'll have the same problem going in the other direction....

Bugzilla links:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=301569
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=300773

Post by Guest »

Thanks ecoles!
escoles

Post by escoles »

escoles wrote:.... This won't be fixed *as a bug* until 1.0.6, according to Bugzilla...

Sorry, this should have read "1.0.7". Until then, just about anyone upgrading on a Mac (i.e., anyone who wasn't upgrading from 1.0.5) will have to use a workaround. ("Bad user experience due to a sloppy mistake == bad PR", to quote someone on the Bugzilla thread.)