MozillaZine

aebrahim: Unofficial Win32 2003-10-20 Nightly

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
aebrahim

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 9:10 am

I built Mozilla Firebird today from CVS with MSVC++ .NET 2003 using some optimisations. To build on MSVC++ .NET 2003, I had to use some old headers from the MSVC++ .NET 2002 Standard C++ Library. However, it's using the MSVC++ .NET 2003 compilers and linkers, so it should fully benefit from the new optimisations. The one bug that's blocking full native build support on MSVC++ .NET 2003 (without any code modifications) is:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208314

If you'd like to see native build support for MSVC++ .NET 2003, please sign into Bugzilla and vote for this bug, or better yet, contribute a patch. Thanks.

This build will run on any Win32/x86 platform, and does not require SSE or SSE2 instructions.

The builds are here:
http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim/Mozi ... Oxs-G7.zip (6.08MB - zip)
http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim/Mozi ... Oxs-G7.exe (4.46MB - 7z sfx)

I should note that I can't guarantee that these builds will work with Windows 95, but they will work with Windows 98/NT4 or better.

You can find a copy of these builds (and my older builds) on pryan's mirror:
http://pryan.org/firebird/aebrahim

My .mozconfig is as follows:

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-Oxs -G7"
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --disable-shared

My builds have the following preference set:
pref("general.useragent.vendorComment", "aebrahim");

Please try with a new profile (delete or rename the Phoenix folder in %AppData% while Firebird is NOT running) and with no extensions before reporting any bugs. Do not overwrite your old Firebird install tree, you need to delete it completely before installing new builds. Also, please test sites before importing data from your old profile.

frease

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 9:43 am

So far so good :) Thanks!

AGSHender

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 10:55 am

Seems faster. :D

Works well for me, too. Not a whole lot of changes between yesterday's builds according to Bonsai, but I've finally settled on an every other day regimine for my two machines. One machine gets it one day, the other the next, etc. That works as a good regression tester so that I'm using builds for more than 24 hours at a time.

Another good build, aebrahim!

Zulithe

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:02 am

Getting same crashes as yesterday on Invision Power Boards v1.2 (see yesterday's build thread)

Ahh well, back to IE for now. I'll try a build in a few weeks and hope it's cleared up

Mozilla-Hulk

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:02 am

Looks good so far. I can't get it to crash anymore on my slow computer by interupting the load of a page.

One problem I did notice a long time ago which still hasn't been resolved is that if you go to www.opengl.org you can get a messed up load every once an awile. I've been noticing this error for some time, but if you just refresh the screen the problem is fixed. The problem is the side frame seems to get drawn very wide so the news text is then way over to the right of the page. I've only been able to get this problem every once and awile both on my old computer and my newer computer. I've also seen it on official and optimized builds so I believe it's either a bug in the code or with the page. Anyway just wanted to point that out to see if anyone else has seen the problem as well.
Mozilla is the strongest one there is!!!

frease

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:13 am

Mozilla-Hulk wrote:Looks good so far. I can't get it to crash anymore on my slow computer by interupting the load of a page.

One problem I did notice a long time ago which still hasn't been resolved is that if you go to www.opengl.org you can get a messed up load every once an awile. I've been noticing this error for some time, but if you just refresh the screen the problem is fixed. The problem is the side frame seems to get drawn very wide so the news text is then way over to the right of the page. I've only been able to get this problem every once and awile both on my old computer and my newer computer. I've also seen it on official and optimized builds so I believe it's either a bug in the code or with the page. Anyway just wanted to point that out to see if anyone else has seen the problem as well.

It loads fine for me.

djk

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:15 am

Mozilla-Hulk wrote:...The problem is the side frame seems to get drawn very wide so the news text is then way over to the right of the page. I've only been able to get this problem every once and awile both on my old computer and my newer computer. I've also seen it on official and optimized builds so I believe it's either a bug in the code or with the page. Anyway just wanted to point that out to see if anyone else has seen the problem as well.

Sounds like bug 217590 and/or bug 215857. Or maybe one of the dependencies.

David

edit: I'm using the 20031019 aebrahim build and I get a properites box when I create a new separator via the bookmark manager. If I click OK, the separator appears no problem, if I hit cancel, the separator is not created. Should I report this as a bug, or maybe it's by design?
Last edited by djk on October 20th, 2003, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

galapogos

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:19 am

What happened to the optimized builds? I'm still at 1014 SSE2 optimized, and this one seems to crash when TBE is installed and a Javascript link is followed. I'm wondering if a newer build would fix it since Piro claims not being able to reproduce the crash.

Dexpot

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:35 am

Good.
Seems a tiny bit faster. :D
Best Regards
Sebastian Brands, The Dexpot-Team
http://www.dexpot.de

whorfin

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:40 am

Lookin' good for me.

And opengl.org doesn't seem to have any load problems here.
Lighten up, Francis

BigFire

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:41 am

galapogos wrote:What happened to the optimized builds? I'm still at 1014 SSE2 optimized, and this one seems to crash when TBE is installed and a Javascript link is followed. I'm wondering if a newer build would fix it since Piro claims not being able to reproduce the crash.

You could use the 0.7 build SSE2 optimized. It's technically 1015.

whorfin

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:43 am

To be honest, I prefer having the more stripped down build. It's optimized enough, and will run on a lot more platforms without having to think so hard about it.

And yeah, my kids' machine is an older POS, so this is important. It loads and runs plenty quick enuff on my newer boxes, too.
Lighten up, Francis

Mozilla-Hulk

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:47 am

whorfin wrote:Lookin' good for me.

And opengl.org doesn't seem to have any load problems here.

The problem will occur only once and awile not every time. Also I notice that I needed to delete my cache otherwise the problem would not occur. Try deleting the cache and loading the page.
Mozilla is the strongest one there is!!!

galapogos

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 11:56 am

BigFire wrote:
galapogos wrote:What happened to the optimized builds? I'm still at 1014 SSE2 optimized, and this one seems to crash when TBE is installed and a Javascript link is followed. I'm wondering if a newer build would fix it since Piro claims not being able to reproduce the crash.

You could use the 0.7 build SSE2 optimized. It's technically 1015.

Yes but isn't that based off the branch rather than the trunk? That would mean that its totally different code.

chinf

Post Posted October 20th, 2003, 12:40 pm

Mozilla-Hulk wrote:Looks good so far. I can't get it to crash anymore on my slow computer by interupting the load of a page.

I think what you are seeing here is http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121142 - Multiple anonymous table-rows erroneously created when delayed. It has been around since Jan 2002 and has 18 votes.

Return to Firefox Builds