Do extensions work for Firefox 1.5 BETA 1 soon..?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
FLAMEX

Do extensions work for Firefox 1.5 BETA 1 soon..?

Post by FLAMEX »

Well, looks like 'they' started re-branding it to Firefox 1.5 BETA 1 ... but well, there are a lot of extension that don't work with the version.. so, how can I and others solve this upcoming problem, maybe..?
|| FLAMEX | Visit Wira4ce.Net! |MozillaZine Member... ||
lastChance

Post by lastChance »

FLAMEX

Post by FLAMEX »

Well, what about the themes..? Any way to do it..?
|| FLAMEX | Visit Wira4ce.Net! |MozillaZine Member... ||
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

could edit them manually, but that would take quite a bit of work and isnt something that a novice should partake in for sure. there were a lot of UI changes between 1.0 and 1.5 so existing themes will eventually need to be updated to reflect those changes. could try looking in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=18 but im not optimistic about it.
DaWeed420

Post by DaWeed420 »

Temporary work around for extensions for the new firefox version....

instead of waiting for the new version of your favourite extensions u can edit your old ones to work with the current build...

just follow these simple instructions:

1.Download the extension locally [ blah_blah.xpi ]

2.Open the extension with Winrar

3.Extract the file install.rdf

4.Open with notepad and locate

<em:targetApplication> <!-- Firefox -->*
<Description>
<em:id>{blahblahblah}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>x.x</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
</em:targetApplication> **

5.Replace x.x with 1.6a1 [anything above 1.4 will work i used 1.6a1 in all of them]

6.Save and close notepad

7.Drop install.rdf back in Winrar window and press OK

8.Drag and drop the extension [ blah_blah.xpi ] in the Firefox window

9.Restart Firefox

10.Enjoy

* Present in some extensions which are for other applications also [ Thunderbird, Mozilla etc ]

Ps.Edit at your own risk and discretion...and make sure u update them as soon as the creators release an update
Moderation is the key to life
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Cusser wrote:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=308521

why the hard way?
read: Bumping extensions --- method #1
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=973

or ... just update each extensions install.rdf

from a post ...

If you have to bump a lot of extensions it's worth to take a look at this link: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 45#1713545
If've already bump all the extensions I use to 1.9 (I just choose something) so I'm prepared for the next changes (I know I taking a risk, but most of the extensions I use are 'simple ones' and don't do much harm if they fail to work).

They are in the files install.rdf. Locate the line with em:maxVersion.

You will see something like: <em:maxVersion>1.O</em:maxVersion> .
You need to change that to: <em:maxVersion>1.5</em:maxVersion>
(or something higher, I choose 1.9 (well first it would be Fx 1.1)).

also, take a look at Nightly Tester Tools extension ...
http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/we ... ghtly.html

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Remember for some extensions they're only broken because they don't have a valid GUID which requires you to edit the install.rdf to add an accepted one and others because of the new XPCNativeWrapper feature which can be disabled by putting a flag into the chrome.manifest file.
Elfguy

Post by Elfguy »

Still this is gonna cause problems when users update. Beta is coming out today, and half my extensions still havent been updated. Sure you can blame extension devs but the fact remains I can predict many many users will try out beta and go back to 1.0 just because of extension issues, they won't care that they could edit each files. Anyways I hope we don't have to deal with this again when the final release comes out and all extensions have been updated.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Am afraid the plan is to update again from 1.4 to 1.5 with the final release. But I just see a lot of extension authors if they get around to updating their max version number jumping straight to 1.5 since AMO is accepting up to 1.6 at the moment.
Old HardinComp

Post by Old HardinComp »

Elf, this problem occurs at every upgrade. The problem isn't Mozilla's, it's the extension authors who haven't updated their code. Many times it just takes a max version bump, but if the extension coders don't update their code then it's not Mozilla's fault.

My suggestion: If you know of an extension that will (or does) fail, go to the coder's website and drop them a hint that they have work to do. If you phrase it nicely they may even get to it faster. Of course, your millage may vary.
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

im not sure what the big problem is, as its only a beta after all. bugs are to be expected in beta versions, and this is no different. people who cant (or are too lazy to) fix extensions for themselves should not be testing beta software in the first place. the beta and subsequent release candidates are "supposed" to get extension, theme and other authors in gear to get ready for release so they already have updated extensions/themes/etc ready BEFORE release so it doesnt take an eternity afterwards for them to get things compatible. if i were an extension author i would have the maxversion bumped to whatever trunk builds are at any given time, but thats just me. unfortunately theme authors arent this lucky, since constant UI changes make theme compatibility across versions rather tricky.
Old HardinComp

Post by Old HardinComp »

Tell me about it, pikaunforgiven. I'm just glad they froze the code so I can get the update for my theme ready to rock.
Elfguy

Post by Elfguy »

The problem is authors have known that they would need to put 1.5 in a long time ago, and the version has been set to 1.4 for 3 days now, and still lots of authors didn't update. Some extensions may even be without any active developers anymore. I will not be surprised when 1.5 released and several extensions still don't work.
lordtoran

Post by lordtoran »

I just upgraded.

Extensions that work with the 20050907 Firefox 1.4 (de) build in the first place:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.2.4
Adblock Plus 0.5.9.2
Autohide 0.9.9
Bookmark Backup 0.3.3
Linkification 1.0
OpenBook 1.3.3
Show Failed URL 0.1.4

Extensions that work properly after bumping version with Nightly Tester Tools:

Download Statusbar 0.9.3.1
Forecastfox 0.8.1.3
Resize Search Box 0.0.6
Stop-or-Reload Button 0.1
StumbleUpon 2.03

Extensions that are messed up when you bump maxversion:

Configuration Mania 1.05.2005021901: Presents you with a blank tweak window
Qute 3 (Theme): Firefox location Bar and dialogs corrupted

Extensions that are not automatically disabled but don't work anyway:

Sort Bookmarks 0.6.0: Still shows the menu entry but loses its sorting functionality

Not tested:

fireFTP [de] 0.88.3