Bug 303806 Discussion - classic menus

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
campcove

Post by campcove »

laketrout wrote:To keep the luna menu styling (which isn't that bad) but fix the menu padding, I've just used this snippet from the userchrome code:

Code: Select all

/* Fix Menu Padding in "Wallpaper patch"*/

.menu-iconic-left {
 margin-top: 1px !important;
 margin-bottom: 1px !important;
}

BTW, was there ever a bug filed concerning just the added menu padding introduced by the fix for bug 303806?

Agreed, I think this compromise solution would please the most people in all. Most Luna users would be fine with the smaller size menu and more bookmarks fitting on the screen, and several (but not all) classic users (including me) would be ok with the new look, as long as the menu padding was not there. Also, some Luna users have said they wanted the smaller menu, and this change should require very little testing. IE7 is also moving toward less padding than IE6. The decision makers know they have displeased many people, and might be willing to make this small compromise to improve goodwill. I would be thrilled if this one pixel could be given back to us. Please file a bug about this or let us know if there is a bug describing this change, and I will gladly vote for it.

Please note though that that change only changes the bookmark menu padding, and still leaves the context menu bigger.
.menu-text {
margin-top: 0px !important;
}
is also needed if you want a smaller size context menu.

To change more menu spacing back you need:

.menu-accel,
.menu-iconic-accel,
.menu-text,
.menu-iconic-text {
}

.menu-iconic-left {
}
Last edited by campcove on October 16th, 2005, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Here are some suggestions to 'compress' the menubar:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 82#1810682

I use luna, but prefer the classic style for the buttons on the menubar because when I hover I don't like the blue (it distracts me).
Alfred Kayser

Post by Alfred Kayser »

bug 312527 is an attempt to get the adjusted padding (as described in the many posts above) for the menu's checked in for 1.8, for FF1.5.
laketrout

Post by laketrout »

campcove wrote:Please note though that that change only changes the bookmark menu padding, and still leaves the context menu bigger.
.menu-text {
}
is also needed if you want a smaller size context menu.

To change more menu spacing back you need:

.menu-accel,
.menu-iconic-accel,
.menu-text,
.menu-iconic-text {
}

.menu-iconic-left {
}

Thanks campcove. I noticed after I posted that it only affected the bookmark menu.

Alfred Kayser wrote:bug 312527 is an attempt to get the adjusted padding (as described in the many posts above) for the menu's checked in for 1.8, for FF1.5.

Thanks Alfred. I've voted for the bug.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060912 BonEcho/2.0b2
Alfred Kayser

Post by Alfred Kayser »

Note, bug 312527 will probably only fix the bookmarks menu, bug <b>307820</b> is about all the menu padding!
Please help me to get <b>307820</b> submitted to the branch!

<b>Edit: replaced 303806 with 307820</b>
Last edited by Alfred Kayser on October 18th, 2005, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
laketrout

Post by laketrout »

Is 30806 not already on the branch? I think Gavin just needs to add the extra code suggested by campcove to his patch in 312527 for it to correct all menu padding and not just the bookmarks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060912 BonEcho/2.0b2
Alfred Kayser

Post by Alfred Kayser »

303806 is indeed on the branch.
Gavin Sharp only wants to do bookmark padding in bug 312527
To correct all menu padding, go to bug 307820
Jweb_Guru

Post by Jweb_Guru »

Checked in, and all's well.