MozillaZine

problems with tabbrowser prefs anyone?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
virtualcertainty

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 3:44 pm

Just update to 1.2.8.4 of tabbrowser preferences and i'm getting this

couldabeen

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 5:01 pm

Not a problem here. TBP 1.2.8.4 went in easily, and after the restart works like it should.
What version of FX are you running?
Did you install from the web, or download and install? If downloaded, where from?

Did you try removing TBP 1.2.8.4, closing FX, re-open FX and install a NEW copy of TBP?
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970

virtualcertainty

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 5:19 pm

couldabeen wrote:Not a problem here. TBP 1.2.8.4 went in easily, and after the restart works like it should.
What version of FX are you running?
Did you install from the web, or download and install? If downloaded, where from?

Did you try removing TBP 1.2.8.4, closing FX, re-open FX and install a NEW copy of TBP?

Just using the 1.0.6 public release, I dont mess with the nightly stuff. I saw an update notice in the bottom corner of my screen and proceeded with the update from there. Uninstalling fixed it, reinstalling brought it back. Same behaviour on multiple themes. Leaving it uninstalled is a good enough fix for me now, just wanted to communicate the issue. If unresolved by the weekend I'll dig further and see if some extension I have is causing a conflict.

thanks

mcm

crak

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 5:38 pm

I'm having the same problem.

virtualcertainty

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 7:16 pm

crak: Uninstall the extension and try this link from the author's site

http://216.55.161.203/theonekea/tabpref ... _en-US.xpi

Copy and paste the link. Worked for me.

Mike

Post Posted September 15th, 2005, 9:55 pm

I too can confirm this problem. Updated via checking for updates. Using official 1.0.6 release.

I'll try virtualcertainty's suggestion and see what happens.

EDIT: Okay, the above suggestion solved the problem for me. This is very odd, but nonetheless, I am pleased it has been easily resolved.
You can't see me.

TheOneKEA

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 5:18 am

ARGH!!!!!

I think this has been trigerred by a bug in the Firefox 1.0.x EM - I'm currently churning out support e-mails telling folks to uninstall and reinstall the extension in order to fix it.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618

Havin_it

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 5:33 am

The download above (from the guy's own site) fixed it for me. Kinda sad to see this and other bugs cropping up nowadays in TBP; it used to be the 'stable alternative' to TBE back inna day.

I'm just wondering if the '...en_US' bit has any significance/implications for me (Firefox en_GB user). I'm not clued-up about locales, but in the 'announce' thread for TBP-1.2.8 where some problems were reported (and another thread with a 'UI-messed-up' complaint similar to this one) the developer was explaining that the problem was to do with incomplete locales. Whatever this means.

Since we all download the same file from update.mozilla.org (or wherever) I assume an extension should support all locales. If one's released without meeting this requirement, that strikes me as BAD SCIENCE.

Anyhoo, anyone tried Tab Mix?

TheOneKEA

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 6:03 am

Havin_it wrote:The download above (from the guy's own site) fixed it for me. Kinda sad to see this and other bugs cropping up nowadays in TBP; it used to be the 'stable alternative' to TBE back inna day.

As I stated, it's NOT a bug in TBP! The bug lies in the Firefox 1.0.x EM, and so far almost every one experiencing problems used the EM's update mechanism to install 1.2.8.4!

Havin_it wrote:I'm just wondering if the '...en_US' bit has any significance/implications for me (Firefox en_GB user). I'm not clued-up about locales, but in the 'announce' thread for TBP-1.2.8 where some problems were reported (and another thread with a 'UI-messed-up' complaint similar to this one) the developer was explaining that the problem was to do with incomplete locales. Whatever this means.

Not incomplete locales, missing locales. Major difference.

Havin_it wrote:Since we all download the same file from update.mozilla.org (or wherever) I assume an extension should support all locales. If one's released without meeting this requirement, that strikes me as BAD SCIENCE.

The version on UMO is the multilingual version - I would never be that idiotic, and force people to go and dig up the multilingual version. That's not the way to keep users, y'know...

Robert S.

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 6:14 am

TheOneKEA - is this a doesn't update metadata in Extensions.rdf, doesn't update the chrome.rdf, doesn't update overlays, or some other bug with 1.0.x?

Havin_it

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 7:30 am

@TheOneKEA, sorry if I came on a bit strong there. Respect for the extension, it's my favourite! Was just exasperated after a lot of hunting around and uninstalling/reinstalling various versions of TBP to try and get a handle on the problem. Nothing in the threads I've read really explained the nature of the problem, or which party's responsible, to me as a non-techie end-user.

Can you explain what is meant by 'EM'?
Is the version linked above (from your site, which I'm now using) multi-lingual despite its filename?
What should I do to avoid further instances of this problem?

[Please believe me, I would just RTFM if I could find the part of TFM that deals with locales]

bromo

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 7:52 am

My extensions aren't opening! So I can't uninstall Tab Prefs> I tried cutting and pasting the xpi into the browser address bar, but nothing happens. Tried running in SafeMode to get to the extensions. No luck. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Fx but no luck.

Any ideas:(?

TheOneKEA

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 9:13 am

w.o.o.m. wrote:TheOneKEA - is this a doesn't update metadata in Extensions.rdf, doesn't update the chrome.rdf, doesn't update overlays, or some other bug with 1.0.x?

No, it's the contents.rdf registration nightmare rearing its ugly head. The 1.0.x EM doesn't throw descriptive errors when two locale contents.rdf files have the same chrome:name attribute applied to them, as was the case - both the en-US and es-ES locales were labeled with "chrome:name=en-US", as the es-ES localiser hadn't quite set things up correctly.

With 1.5.x, of course, contents.rdf is not read and the plaintext manifest code Just Works, thanks to your efforts :) :) :)

Havin_it wrote:@TheOneKEA, sorry if I came on a bit strong there. Respect for the extension, it's my favourite! Was just exasperated after a lot of hunting around and uninstalling/reinstalling various versions of TBP to try and get a handle on the problem. Nothing in the threads I've read really explained the nature of the problem, or which party's responsible, to me as a non-techie end-user.

Apologies for responding strongly, but after typing the same thing 60 times in a row due to an entirely avoidable typo that I should have checked on, I was feeling a bit raw.

Havin_it wrote:Can you explain what is meant by 'EM'?

The Extension Manager, a powerful extension management system designed to replace the old XPInstall install.js files in Firefox (even though some folks think the EM is for 'simple addons' and that real extensions still need install.js for lots of magic hackery).

Havin_it wrote:Is the version linked above (from your site, which I'm now using) multi-lingual despite its filename?

No. tabprefs_1.2.8.4_en-US.xpi only has the en-US locale.

Havin_it wrote:What should I do to avoid further instances of this problem?

Don't rely on 1.0.x's update feature - even though, in this case, it didn't cause a problem, I often had many issues updating extensions using it.

Havin_it wrote:[Please believe me, I would just RTFM if I could find the part of TFM that deals with locales]

Unfortunately there isn't much on the locale system and how it relates to extensions. Ask w.o.o.m., because he knows everything about the EM ;)

Robert S.

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 9:22 am

I hate contents.rdf files and I happen to hate them a little bit more today than yesterday
#308172[Firefox]-Obscure error checking for updates to an extension [All]

The contents.rdf file is being read during install while in the jar and if there is more than one install of the same item during one session (e.g. upgrade from 1.0.x to 1.5, ext. is installed disabled, and then an update is found / installed all happening during startup) the zipreadercache keeps a reference to it so it can't be deleted because the rdf system caches it... arrghhh.

Havin_it

Post Posted September 16th, 2005, 10:10 am

bromo wrote:My extensions aren't opening! So I can't uninstall Tab Prefs> I tried cutting and pasting the xpi into the browser address bar, but nothing happens. Tried running in SafeMode to get to the extensions. No luck. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling Fx but no luck.

Any ideas:(?

The reason you couldn't fix it with uninstall/reinstall is *probably* because the faulty extension is in your profile folder, which wasn't removed on uninstall.

To locate this, if you're on Win XP, look in C:\Documents and settings\<your username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random alphanumeric stuff>.default\

You can move this folder elsewhere or use a utility like MozBackup (Google for it) to back it up. Then delete it from its original location after uninstall (you could even delete from further up, i.e. from <username>\Application data\Mozilla\) and reinstall to create a new profile.

Alternatively you can start Firefox from the command line (or Start > Run.. dialog) with

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p

to open the Profile Manager and define a new profile, and install your safe extensions in the new profile. If you have precious bookmarks/cookies, you can copy those files from the old profile folder into the new one (bookmarks.html and cookies.txt).

Hope this helps. If you're not on Windows, look at http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile for finding your profile in other OSes.

Return to Extension Development