MozillaZine

What The Hell!!!!!!

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
NeoNight

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 10:59 am

Why did firefox delete all of My documents instead of just deleting the profile I created? I choose the delete profile option in fire fox 1.0.7 profile manger only to have the stuff in my documents deleted!!!!!!!! IT TOOK ME A LOOOONG TIME TO GET HALF OF THE STUFF IN MY DOCUMENTS! For anyone that is reading this DON'T use your my documents folder to create a back up of your profile! If you delete it you better hope you don't have ANYTHING important in your my documents folder. I expected something like this from viruses/trojans NOT FIREFOX!

To make things worse I can't even use a file recovery program since I was downloading while using the profile manger. Thanks fire fox!
Knight for the new age

Unarmed

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 11:14 am

How did it happen? You created a profile and chose to put it in the "My Documents" folder, then when you deleted your profile it deleted everything in the parent directory?

NeoNight

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 11:14 am

yup
Knight for the new age

Unarmed

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 11:59 am

<a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=302087" title="Bug 302087 - Inadequate warning before Profile Manager deletes non-Mozilla files">Bug 302087 - Inadequate warning before Profile Manager deletes non-Mozilla files</a>

and

<a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=304290" title="Bug 304290 - Treeview of 'Choose Folder' Option in Create Profile/Profile Manager should not point at 'my documents' by default">Bug 304290 - Treeview of 'Choose Folder' Option in Create Profile/Profile Manager should not point at 'my documents' by default</a>

NeoNight

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 12:20 pm

according to Recover4all I can probably recover some files only problem is I don't have 69 dollars for the friggin software! hell even if I did I don't have a credit card. Wow am I really screwed over or what. THANKS FIRE FOX! not to mention am loosing chances to recover files as I send this message.
Knight for the new age

Nanobot

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Wait, was your profile folder actually your My Documents folder? If so, shouldn't there have been some assumption that if you delete your profile folder, you at least risk deleting your whole My Documents folder?

I agree that this should be improved, but come on, you don't need to act like Firefox just screwed you over. When someone "rm -rf"s their root directory as root, they don't blame Linux/UNIX for not protecting them from themselves. Deal with advanced stuff and you'll have to deal with advanced consequences.

Unarmed

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 12:32 pm

NeoNight

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 2:18 pm

well I thought firefox would create a sub directory within My documents for the profile. Then just delete the sub directory like most programs.... but I guess I thought wrong. Even so why would the friggin program delete files not associated with it!!!. In any case I seem to have been able to recover most of the stuff I lost anything else I hope I didn't need. Oh and thanks for the link Unarmed.
Knight for the new age

Nitin

Post Posted September 27th, 2005, 3:48 pm

The correct solution would be to do away with the profile manager UI.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214675

Advanced users can edit profiles.ini and/or use firefox.exe -p /path/to/profile
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.

AnotherGuest.

Post Posted September 28th, 2005, 7:38 pm

Fx did screw him over. When he created the profile, there was a big button that invited him to specify the directory. Creating a profile without creating the subdirectory is unexpected behavior. Many programs, such as the Firefox installation program, create a subdirectory without telling you. This interface does not create a subdirectory and does not tell you. There is no warning as to exactly what it will do, or that it is arming a bomb. When he deleted the profile, he did get an inconspicuous warning.

Nitin wrote:The correct solution would be to do away with the profile manager UI.

The correct solution, in my opinion, is to delete only Mozilla files. Thus would solve the problem without the user having to make the correct decision, and regardless of the design or presence of any future user interface.

Do you have more concrete information on this? If the Profile Manager really goes away, that might indeed solve the problem, sort of. But I am informed that the UI is not really going away, despite the ambiguous wording of the bug report you are probably referring to. My informant is authoritative but every bit as vague as the bug report.

The bug report says they want to remove the PM UI, but the Profile Manager IS the UI, so exactly what is going away? If advanced users are still confronted with the same possibility of deleting all files without warning, they will still probably occasionally delete all their files. The drivers aren't saying. Unfortunately, they are willing to argue but not to give out much information. If you have hard information, I would very much like to know.

JaredM

Post Posted September 28th, 2005, 9:34 pm

AG so it leaving all my gmonkey scripts and non-mozilla stuff created by extensions when I delete my profile is proper behavior?

When I specficy a directory for something to place I expect it to use that directory, not a subdirectory, it's just plain logical.
I'm moving to Theory, everything works there.
Most issues are solved by going through the Standard Diagnostic

Nitin

Post Posted September 29th, 2005, 12:22 am

AnotherGuest. : If the UI goes away, the only way to delete a profile would be to manually remove it.. i.e. the user would do it, not firefox.
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.

AnotherGuest.

Post Posted September 29th, 2005, 6:07 am

jinexile,
You're right. The PM would could not easily keep track of scripts and third-party files to delete.

You're also right that it is logical to expect a profile to be in the specified directory. But if you have ever tried to install software and specify the directory, you might conclude that trying to guess exactly where it is going to go is futile. I, for one, can never guess whether a subdirectory is going to be created for various applications. The Firefox installer itself is inconsistent with the Profile Manager, so what is a user to do? Besides, as far as the user knows, maybe the profile IS a directory.

Six months later, when deleting the profile, it might be a little difficult to remember the details of its creation. It's all so casual and easy. Whatever you and I think of the interface, people are fooled by it regularly, and I'm not sure I could avoid this trap.

Nitin,
No one cares how it's going to be fixed, as long as it's fixed. Is the bug going to be fixed or isn't it? Is the UI really going away? Read on.

Various bug reports have been filed, dating back several years. The oldest one I am aware of was assigned to someone and ignored. The others have been marked as WONTFIX, INVALID, or DUPLICATE. If there was a relevant plan to fix the bug, a single comment to that effect in any bug report or elsewhere would have been cheerfully received. Instead, the remarks by the Mozilla principals in the bug reports and elsewhere have been openly antagonistic, in my opinion.

In fact, in bug 302087 the module owner presents a begrudging but <i>open invitation to fix it,</i> without any mention of another remedy. I actually asked about fixing it, and I was not informed about any conflicting plans. I specifically asked again about plans for the UI in connection with bug 214675. I was informed that the UI is <i>not</i> going away, but will no longer pop up spontaneously -- and go ahead and fix bug 302087 if I wanted, or feel free to pay someone to fix it. It could be checked in in time for version 2. I assume this means that the bug will remain unless 302087 is fixed.

Was I being misinformed, or just misused? Was he encouraging me to waste my time on this, or did he suspect that the bug was not going to disappear? Even though a fix for 214675 has been checked in for some time, it doesn't block anything, and the drivers have ignored requests for information on priority or timing. And I'm not at all sure what it does -- whether it will fix the bug or not. The official position is to keep users away from the Profile Manager. Whether they will be successful, and whether it will actually solve the problem, I have no idea.

If you have solid information on this, please let us know. I have made other inquiries, but I have not received answers. Meanwhile, people continue to lose data over a simple polish bug.

Return to Firefox Bugs