Search Engines Disappearing in 1.5 Beta 2

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
kmdavidso

Search Engines Disappearing in 1.5 Beta 2

Post by kmdavidso »

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my OS or if there is something wrong with the 1.5 Beta 2 build, but my search engines (google, imdb, etc.) disappeared and can't be added again. This is the case even when I go to the add engines site and click ok to add a particular site. Any ideas? I'm using OS 10.3.9. My apologies if this topic has already been covered - I searched but couldn't find anything on it. Thanks.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

The search engines are now stored in your profile directory in a directory named 'searchplugins'. Did you check there?
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
kmdavidso

Post by kmdavidso »

Looks like ther are src and png files in there, but they're not showing up in browser. Is this a bug I should report or is this something unique to my computer?
rschultz2002

Post by rschultz2002 »

kmdavidso, for me I use Windows and the 6 that come stock with Firefox are located in the Program Files>Mozilla Firefox>searchplugins. The ones you add on get placed in your Profile Folder in searchplugins. I do not know where the profile folder is on a Mac so I am no help with that.
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

kmdavidso
It happened to me and I believe there is a bug filed already, . . . let me check . . . . yeah, here:
http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/
Scroll down to 10/7 trunk build regression.

What happened with me I deemed to be MY fault . . . your "stock" plugins are in Programs/Mozilla. Ones you add go into App Data/Mozilla. So I routinely delete all in program folder and only have "my selections" in App Data. When I did this last, nothing appeared in window and re-downloading one didn't register either. It was as if once they went out of program folder but weren't "activated" or called upon FIRST, FX never saw them or saw them again.

I reinstalled - USED one or two of them from each place, and after that it was fine. But you're talking about "missing," not "deleting them and finding them missing." If you check that link, apparently it can be a problem of "finding them" at all. First thing I do now when installing a new branch is "use an engine" as if it "registers it" somehow; after that I can move things as I wish and have had no problems.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
heraldo

Post by heraldo »

rschultz2002 wrote:kmdavidso, for me I use Windows and the 6 that come stock with Firefox are located in the Program Files>Mozilla Firefox>searchplugins. The ones you add on get placed in your Profile Folder in searchplugins.
really? i have yet not seen a searchplugin folder in my profile folder. i use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051012 Firefox/1.4.1 ID:2005101205
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

modellmakt wrote:
rschultz2002 wrote:kmdavidso, for me I use Windows and the 6 that come stock with Firefox are located in the Program Files>Mozilla Firefox>searchplugins. The ones you add on get placed in your Profile Folder in searchplugins.
really? i have yet not seen a searchplugin folder in my profile folder. i use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b5) Gecko/20051012 Firefox/1.4.1 ID:2005101205

That folder will not be created automatically until you install a new search engine using the "Add Engines" source. I don't know what might happen were you to create the folder yourself. If you have search engines on your computer that you want to add to the folder, simply move them there once the folder itself exists.

I would not recommend moving the engines into the folder before it exists, however....
rschultz2002

Post by rschultz2002 »

Yes modellmakt that is how it is done. The folder is not created untill you install new ones. #-o
paulfox

Post by paulfox »

John Liebson said: "That folder will not be created automatically until you install a new search engine using the "Add Engines" source."
"I would not recommend moving the engines into the folder before it exists, however...."

Exactly the lesson I learned. Hopefully that good advice will come up in a search by others with same question. Thank you, John.
PentiumIII/W2K, Toshiba AMD laptop/Vista. FX 3 on both.
kmdavidso

Post by kmdavidso »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I ended up reinstalling beta 1.5 2. That didn't work, so I installed 1.0.7, then reinstalled beta 1.5.2 again. That seemed to do the trick. I'm sure there was an easier way. But this one worked.