Bittorrent plugin for Firebird?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ronincyberpunk

Bittorrent plugin for Firebird?

Post by ronincyberpunk »

Currently I have Bittorrent installed but to use it I have to download the torrent file and then run it to activate bittorrent. Is there a plugin or a how-to to get Bittorrent to work with FB?

Thanks
quanta

Post by quanta »

It should just work. Methinks that the server you are downloading torrents from have their MIME types incorrectly set; ergo, FB thinks it is ASCII text instead of "application/x-bittorrent".
<a href=http://www.silentblue.net/>Silentblue.net</a> - Firefox 1.0 by day, Mozilla 1.75 by night
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yep. The BitTorrent howto on the official site clearly states what has to be done to get torrents to work correctly. The problem is that the majority of torrent link sites are run by IE-using warez kids.

- Chris
savedlatin

Post by savedlatin »

Yeah, except the ones using Bittorrent to distribute linux dists.
javyn

Post by javyn »

i use bit torrent and the only difference i've noticed from ie, is when i click on a torrent, the firebird download window pops up with what to do with the torrent file. "open with bit torrent" is already selected for you, just click OK, and the bit torrent save as window will then pop up like normal.
Brian Puccio

Post by Brian Puccio »

savedlatin wrote:Yeah, except the ones using Bittorrent to distribute linux dists.

I now have spilled my coffee on my keyboard :lol:
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I still like the idea of a bittorrent plug-in though. Especially if it was integrated well and had features such as having files appear in the download sidebar, and using my default download directory etc.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Woodwizzle wrote:I still like the idea of a bittorrent plug-in though.

Such a plugin still wouldn't work with files served as text/plain. I wish that they'd fix forcecontenttype :)
Dave88

Post by Dave88 »

I too use Bittorrent with Firebird and it works fine for me just select open with "Bittorrent default" and it will load the torrent into the client automatically.

I use the ABC [Yet Another Bittorrent Client] and during install it gives the option to "make default" so it associates with torrent files which is I guess the reason why it works with firebird and it's "open with" function.

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

All bittorrent clients have this functionality.

I personally would also like to see (i guess you could call it) native bittorrent support in firebird, even if it was just an extension. It would appear as if you were downloading a normal file, exept it would be doing everything bittorrent does as well.
javyn

Post by javyn »

strange, but some torrents do not after all work with FB but do with IE. I doubt this is a prob w/ FB though, probably a screwup on the torrent page.