IE icon instead of Firefox icon

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Khane

IE icon instead of Firefox icon

Post by Khane »

Suddenly an Internet Explorer icon appears on my desktop instead of a Firefox icon when save a web page.
Maybe the cause is that earlier today I messed my desktop while playing around with WindowBlinds which by the way caused me some trouble installing and changing themes and extensions ( problem solved now after I made a new Firefox installation).
It may sound stupid but I forgot the way to change an icon ( IE icon back to a Firefox icon in my case ) :oops: ; I right click on the icon but there is no "change icon" option. I guess, it maybe something in the Control panel -> Folder options.

Thanks in advance.
Recall

Post by Recall »

Tools > Options > tick default browser > restart > yes make default.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Khane

Post by Khane »

Recall wrote:Tools > Options > tick default browser > restart > yes make default.

Thanks Recall but Firefox is already my default browser , so the problem must be somewhere else.

Khane
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Try to set IE as default and the Firefox again as default. In start > prog access & defaults.
Khane

Post by Khane »

FatJohn wrote:Try to set IE as default and the Firefox again as default. In start > prog access & defaults.

Thanks FatJohn. Did that twice. No change :cry:

Two other problems :

1- I decide to uninstall an extension (Download Status Progress Bar ) and restarted Firefox but the extension was still there. I did that twice without any success. I had to reboot my machine to make the extension disappeared.

2- I also tried to change my Firefox theme , restarted Firefox and was surprised to find that the theme did not changed and that "Restart Firefox to use" was still under the new theme I wanted to use. I did the same process a few times but nothing changed. Only after I did a reboot of my machine and opened Firefox I was surprised to see that the new theme was installed.

Khane
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

Khane wrote:
Recall wrote:Tools > Options > tick default browser > restart > yes make default.

Thanks Recall but Firefox is already my default browser , so the problem must be somewhere else.
Khane

read: Guide: Making Firefox the default browser
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 368#949368

later, Richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
Khane

Post by Khane »

rtmjr50 wrote:read: Guide: Making Firefox the default browser
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 368#949368

Thanks for the link. I followed instructions and downloaded the SetBrowser tool. I bet that Firefox was my default before but anyway after I used the SetBrowser tool I was sure that Firefox was definitely my default browser. Anyway I still get a IE blue icon with my saved web pages.

I think that I solved the second problem , the one with extensions and themes that did not uninstalled but only after reboot.. I think that problem could be that in spite that I closed Firefox after I uninstalled a theme or extension I had a Firefox preloader running.

Khane
Canyonero

Re: IE icon instead of Firefox icon

Post by Canyonero »

Khane wrote:Suddenly an Internet Explorer icon appears on my desktop instead of a Firefox icon when save a web page.
Maybe the cause is that earlier today I messed my desktop while playing around with WindowBlinds which by the way caused me some trouble installing and changing themes and extensions ( problem solved now after I made a new Firefox installation).
It may sound stupid but I forgot the way to change an icon ( IE icon back to a Firefox icon in my case ) :oops: ; I right click on the icon but there is no "change icon" option. I guess, it maybe something in the Control panel -> Folder options.

Thanks in advance.

Changing icons for documents is under Folder Options (you can open an istance of Explorer and select that from the Tools menu) -> File Types -> Pick the file type you want -> Advanced. Actually by default Windows just takes whatever application is the default association with the document and puts its icon inside another little 'piece of paper' icon. You might check if FF is set as default there, or you can just change the icon to something else entirely.
Mr Fiddler

Post by Mr Fiddler »

Sometimes the icons in Windows do seem to go screwy. There's a repair/rebuild icons option in the 'Tweak UI' powertoy which you could try:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... rtoys.mspx
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

I've been working on this same problem for a while now. I think I've found a solution. Try this fix:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article04-405

Hope it helps.

Sonny
Soul Stealer

Post by Soul Stealer »

Does it still do this if you perform these steps:

1. In Firefox under Tools -> Options -> Main Tab -> Check the box that makes Firefox check to see if it's the default browser. Close Firefox.
2. Load IE and set it as the default browser then close it out.
3. Open Firefox and it should say it is not the default browser and would you like to make it so. Do that, allowing FF to set itself as the default browser.

??
It's like I said.
Sonny ReVerb

Post by Sonny ReVerb »

Yes, I tried the default browser fix before, but that did not fix the icon problem for me. I even went through the registry and replaced every reference to an Explorer icon I could find with a Firefox icon. The only fix I've found that 'stuck' is the one in the link in my earlier post. It seems the 'key' is the deletion of the IconHandler key. That sinister 'e' was very persistent.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Did you both notice that the original post is over two years old? :?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"