How to get SpellBound to work in 1.5RC1 - hacks

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
the-edmeister

How to get SpellBound to work in 1.5RC1 - hacks

Post by the-edmeister »

1.5RC1 Firefox - a working Spellbound for Windows OS's

Figured it out from notes I made when getting a SpellChecker working on 0.8 versions of Firefox {before the SpellBound extension even existed}.

Three main components are needed:

1) Spellbound 0.7.3 ..... GUID= {9EBEDB01-55DC-432b-7E4AF3230A24}
- which gets installed to the /D+S/~/AppData/~Profiles/profile_name/extensions folder
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=474&hl=spellbound
Grab the SpellBound front-end

You can also grab the SpellBound rear-end.

2) Mozilla SpellCheck Libraries 1.0.1.0 aka Win32_Components {rear-end)
- which gets installed to the ~/Program Files/firefox/components folder
the three files installed are: myspell.dll, spellchk.dll, and composer.xpt

As of 11/03/05 there is a problem with availablity of Win32_Components 1.0.1.0 from the extension authors' website; you can install the 0.8.1 version by using the Nightly Tester Tools to override compatibility, but you will need to replace the aforementioned files with the same files extracted from
Zip-archive versions of
Thunderbird 1.5 RC1 - myspell.dll and spellchk.dll
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2005-11-03-09-mozilla1.8/
SeaMonkey 1.1a - composer.xpt
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/2005-11-03-11-trunk/

{drag'n'drop the replacement files dated after approximately 10/25/2005 (I used 11/03/05 files) right into the /components folder replacing the files dated 07/19/05}

Note: the Win_Components will not show as an installed extension after forcing compatibility with Nightly Tester Tools, nor will it show as being installed after replacing the three files; SpellBound will work ok, it, the Libraries just won't show as an installed extension.

You will need to disable Spellbound 0.7.3 extension, close Firefox, and then re-open Firefox; enable that extension and you should have a working SpellBound in 1.5 RC1. [after following the next step]

3) a dictionary from mozdev
- which gets installed to the ~/Program Files/firefox/components/myspell folder
http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html

Any questions or comments, please PM me.

Ed

BTW, many thanks to Robert Strong for implementing the SpellBound extension for Firefox. He has saved me many hours of work getting a spellchecker working in Firefox 0.9 and 1.0 versions over the last year and a half.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

The site is back up.
swingkat75

Post by swingkat75 »

Although I've begun learning a bit about coding and such over the last three years, I have no clue you said in your directions. Would it be possible to create a walk-through that is easier for someone like me to understand? I installed the new 1.5 RC1 and I really like this. Much improvement over the previous release. However, when I installed the new version, my Spellbound came over automatically. However, when I right-click on a text field, I don't see the spell check option. Is something in developement to make it work with this type of build or is it already available? Thanks for your help. I love Spellbound.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

swingkat75 wrote:Although I've begun learning a bit about coding and such over the last three years, I have no clue you said in your directions. Would it be possible to create a walk-through that is easier for someone like me to understand? I installed the new 1.5 RC1 and I really like this. Much improvement over the previous release. However, when I installed the new version, my Spellbound came over automatically. However, when I right-click on a text field, I don't see the spell check option. Is something in developement to make it work with this type of build or is it already available? Thanks for your help. I love Spellbound.

Spellbound works but you need to go here to reinstall. A number of files need to be loaded into the FF app including the dictionary.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
swingkat75

Post by swingkat75 »

Great seems to be working fine! Thank you.