Unresponsive Script???

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
RobertJ

Unresponsive Script???

Post by RobertJ »

I keep getting a dropdown that says "Unresponsive Script". The pages all seem fine and I have never seen this before.

What is it?
How do I get rid of it?

I've been running 1.5rc1 since the weekend and only started seeing this today.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Probably an excessive amount of Greasemonkey scripts with their target urls set to * wildcards.

- Chris
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thumper wrote:Probably an excessive amount of Greasemonkey scripts with their target urls set to * wildcards.

- Chris

Thanks.

Is there something in about:config that I can set to avoid the dropdown?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Not to my knowledge. It's for your own protection. Try limiting your userscripts to relevant sites.

- Chris
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

There was another thread about this same issue, which also occurs with the ieview extension, a workaropund is to go into about:config and change dom.max_script_run_time to 30 (30 was recommended in the other thread but I don't know if that is excessive or not)
"It burns like hygiene!"
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

dom.max_script_run_time

oooh. Thanks.

- Chris
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Mine was at 5. Bumped it to 10.

Thanks
Chris Granger

Post by Chris Granger »

I've been seeing this error a lot using 1.07 but hadn't seen it before. I'm not using Greasemonkey or the IEview extension. It's very annoying, but I'll try the max_script_run_time hack...
jqp

Post by jqp »

Chris Granger wrote:I've been seeing this error a lot using 1.07 but hadn't seen it before. I'm not using Greasemonkey or the IEview extension. It's very annoying, but I'll try the max_script_run_time hack...

Remove the Yahoo! Toolbar and Google Toolbar extensions, if you have either.
It could be caused by another extension.

If it doesn't happen on random pages, but always happens on a specific webpage, then it's a problem with the webpage.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

jqp wrote:If it doesn't happen on random pages, but always happens on a specific webpage, then it's a problem with the webpage.

I've seen this problem on two web pages. They are both very long with many scripts. Since I bumped dom.max_script_run_time from 5 to 10 I haven't seen it again.
irs009

Post by irs009 »

I've had the problem and it was Adblock or Adblock Plus that caused it. Disable Obj. Tabs and Check DIV elements and see if that helps...Jack
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

name already taken wrote:There was another thread about this same issue, which also occurs with the ieview extension, a workaropund is to go into about:config and change dom.max_script_run_time to 30 (30 was recommended in the other thread but I don't know if that is excessive or not)

I'm having serious trouble with this problem at the moment... it's never happened before, I've been using Firefox for about four years.

I have two computers and Firefox is continually updating on both (one is a fresh load anyway). Both are now getting this 'unresponsive script' problem.

I really would like to stop the automatic updates as well. They are the bane of computer use, they change your computer, they take over your computer, they stop you working! And now, it seems, they introduce settings that stifle the computer.

Problems I now face:

1. How to get rid of this. It slows the computer to a crawl, then it stops and this warning comes up. Even when stopped, the computer is not as fast as it should be and nothing I can do seems to resolve that. Rebooting doesn't even fix it... and bear in mind, Firefox is virtually the only program running!

2. How to understand the way this is explained in the quoted post. Where do I find 'about:config'? What is an 'ieview extension'?

3. How do I recover the 30 or so hours of my life that this has claimed over the past week?

Thanks guys...
The stories of youth, of the burden of time, and the death of devotion. HCK
Racer

Post by Racer »

Do you have any extensions installed? What version of Firefox do you have? What OS?

Have you tried Firefox Safe mode?
Here is some info on about:config. I suggest NOT using it unless you know what you are doing.

P.S. Please do not resurrect 1+ year old threads. Often, the information in old threads is out of date and can confuse more than it helps. In this case, it did.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

Okay... thanks for trying to help, but I've been roasted before for not searching out similar questions.

I don't know what 'safe mode' is.

I have no doubt I can work my way around 'about:config' if I need to. My question was 'where is it?'

I use Win XP Pro. What are 'extensions'? Firefox 2.0.0.8

Any chance I can find out what I need to know? I've got to be honest about this, I followed the link to find 'about:config' and this is where the trail ended:

There is plainly no 'config' there anywhere, so which part of the English language don't I understand?

Please help me, I cannot work on this computer, I have pressing deadlines that have to be met and I must stop this happening.
Ray Bell

Post by Ray Bell »

Just to show how inconvenient this is...

This was two or three minutes into clicking on the 'stop' button. It was a further couple of minutes before it went away, it was back before I could get Irfanview open to enable me to save the screen print, all of this taking close to half an hour before I could get things to a point where I could post this.

And during that half hour I should have been working!