Linux Static: 30-Jan-04-AXP-SSE-GTK DOMi/Venkman

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Yek

Linux Static: 30-Jan-04-AXP-SSE-GTK DOMi/Venkman

Post by Yek »

Here's the build: http://pryan.org/firebird/yek/FB-Static ... SD.tar.bz2

CVS from ~0815am PST:

*New 30-Jan notes on build environment: (glibc update again today) I updated to fedora core 2 beta (all development) so builds are all **gcc-3.3.2-8**, **glibc-2.3.3-7**, kernel *2.6.2-rc2-mm2* (akpm branch) , *gtk2 2.3.2-2*, *gconfd-2 updated again*, XFree -> 4.3.0-45.0.1 as well which changes the Xft.h equation yet again :)

Obvious Changes:

30-Jan: I might stop uploading builds because I'm running latest builds of gtk2/gconfd/gcc/glibc and compatibility has slipped away for many who aren't also doing the same. Before I give up, I made static build for today. Its a little larger for download than the rest, but may have enough built-in libs from my system to run. If anyone wants to try it out and let me know, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll just stop uploading. Thanks. PS: Its very difficult to see why a static build would help in linux because of the way they make it. If pmap -x showed that libraries were shared in the dynamic builds, but not in the static builds (which isnt' what it shows), then it'd be promising, but until I hear from someone else on another system, I have no idea how this'll go.

29-Jan: Still testing but stable so far

28-Jan: Working well for me, but a report of incompatibility near the end of this thread, having to do, probably with pthreads, and how gtk was built on the user's system vs. mine. (I think :))

27-Jan: Feels solid so far. Have used with tbe + skypilot theme without a problem yet. (yet, is the keyword :))

26-Jan: Nothing of note, all seems to work ok, and sometimes that's pretty good news. I'm still able to use tbe with it, but I have no idea about any other extensions. I also am testing skypilot with this build and it works very well.

24-Jan: Nothing of obvious note yet.

23-Jan: Same as 22'nd to outward appearances. Will update if I find anything as I use it.

22-Jan: Seems fine, but I've got little time to test anything right now. TBE works ok, all built-in functionality works ok, that's about it for now. I updated my build environment with a newer gcc again, but will update this later.

19-Jan: Only thing I've noticed new is that the right edge of 'create in'on the add bookmarks dialog has a 1/4" beveled plain edge that has no arrow to indicate what it's for, although the one that brings down the full bookmarks addition page (rather than the quick bar) works fine. This is cosmetic, so no big thing.

18-Jan: Same as yesterday. Re extensions: These'll be flakey or not work at all until they catch up. TBE appears to hierachically get between many previously working extensions and the trunk code. If you install prefbuttons without TBE, it works. If you install it with TBE, it gives the XBL bindings error. The same cheap trick I used to fix this for TBE won't work for prefbuttons or the other few I tried. I feel sorry for the extension guys who are actually trying to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of this rapidly modified browser.

17-Jan: Much like yesterday's, See my reply in this thread for TBE troubles:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=45948

It feels like some change was made in rendering images, and there's a checkin about tiling some areas quicker. I can never be sure about these subjective things, but it does seem a little quicker on pages that have a lot of images, like a newspaper, or THG. I've no idea if that's because of that checkin or if its all in my mind :)

- there was also some print-preview problem with the skypilot theme yesterday which either misaligned the <>^ navigation arrows upon closing print preview, or forgot to restore the BTF shortcuts. This problem isn't there for me today.

16-Jan: Yesterday's and today's builds seem to have crossed another boundary for some extensions.

- All the built-in functionality (venkman, domi, pageinfo, etc) works well today.
- Prefbuttons, the only extension I use, which is about 3k in length, and makes no reference to Widgets :), no longer works. I tried to debug it, but I was testing tabextensions for someone and realized that prefbuttons 'rebreaks' tab extensions in some cases. It causes tbe to die on it's usual can't bind xbl error, so as of the 14-jan build, something has taken another turn.
- TBE: I'd hacked up a working version and was using it, but updated it to the most recent version today, which works fine after you get the initial XBL bindings error (or it just exits on you), and you go into ~./chrome/chrome.rdf and find "Widgets" and replace it with "Bindings" (sheesh.. ) I think this is still around because maybe netscape uses it differently.

But, since I usually use no extensions and have only recently taken to using tbe and that just for the 'undo last close tab' feature, this build seems fine to me. Prefbuttons will probably be easy to fix given an hour or two.

ps: I ran this build in debug trying to figure out my initial problems, and I think with all of the relocating of cvs branches, that there's at least double the usual warnings and errors starting up and loading a page. This may be making it run more slowly for the moment. Then again, this is always a tough call.

14-Jan - uploaded.

12-Jan

- print preview and double-headers on tools/pageinfo are both working, but not working correctly today. This seems to be an intermittent problem.

- Most of the complaints I had about yesterdays source were fixed today, like printing being broken, and print-preview, and some missing images on each complex page. The tbe I hacked (see forum fb bugs) still works fine with this one, but by this time, the regular tbe may work fine as well. I haven't tried that. I'm working on the view-source/save page functionality.

- one thing about tools/pageinfo is that it displays the menu twice across (repeats once). I've a feeling this is my fault since I worked on the original pageInfo.xul bug. Will look into it.

- looks like help/about is reading v1.7a and 0.8.0+ today.

Code: Select all

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse"
ac_add_options --enable-jsd
ac_add_options --enable-xft
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
Last edited by Yek on January 30th, 2004, 9:32 am, edited 77 times in total.
mariuz

Re: Unofficial: Linux-FB-21Nov03-AthXP-SSE-GTK DOMi/Venkman

Post by mariuz »

Yek wrote:I've been building these things but there's so many people building them that I forgot to post anything in the forums lol. There's probably the last 15 days worth of builds (all built as in the subject) sitting on Pryan's site.

Anyway: Here's the build: http://pryan.org/firebird/yek/FB-21Nov0 ... SD.tar.bz2

thanks for the build , gonna test it , to see how it works ...:)
Any of here have seen how slow is mozilla firebird when loading flash pages ?
For example when i browse the nvnews forum http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/ the flashes are loading really slow (remeber the old days when waiting for a java applets to load on a system with only 16M of memory - is the same feeling )
Yek

Re: Unofficial: Linux-FB-21Nov03-AthXP-SSE-GTK DOMi/Venkman

Post by Yek »

thanks for the build , gonna test it , to see how it works ...:)
Any of here have seen how slow is mozilla firebird when loading flash pages ?
For example when i browse the nvnews forum http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/ the flashes are loading really slow (remeber the old days when waiting for a java applets to load on a system with only 16M of memory - is the same feeling )

Sure thing. I haven't noticed the flash slowness, and nearly everything seems to use it, but I used to noticed it. I wonder if it has anything to my switch to gcc 3.3.x and then finding a plugin that'd work with it? I wound up beta testing the plugins that you can get from here: http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html , which are packaged in a way to force install-time registration and hit most of the likely firebird install spots. I don't know if that'll help, but they've got several distro's covered there with the latest flash (not so late for linux users :)) While you're there , maybe send off a note to macromedia telling them you're interested in flash 7 for linux, since they'll supposedly produce a beta for linux if ~20k users whine about it enough lol. I did, so now only 19,999 users are needed.

The really cool thing I was looking forward to with builds starting on 21-Nov was this supposed ability to click on a link in thunderbird and have firebird popup to handle it. (this is without any typical desktop clipboard interactions or definitions), but so far, this hasn't worked for me.
teksaver

flash problems

Post by teksaver »

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=219625

The problem only occurs with gtk2 builds and the cause is not defined yet.. might you add your vote and contrib to the bug !!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031216 Firebird/0.7+ (Optimized for Athlon XP SSE by Yek)
Yek

Re: flash problems

Post by Yek »

teksaver wrote:http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=219625

The problem only occurs with gtk2 builds and the cause is not defined yet.. might you add your vote and contrib to the bug !!

I added a vote to the bug, but the funny thing is that I can't replicate it at all on any flash site. I recently started using Togami's linux flash-plugins from this site ( http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html ) and in particular the one for fedora-core-1. I did some beta testing on this, and flash looks the same to be as it does on win32 on this setup. I don't get the funny lines on this setup either. Does that say its something in the environment causing this in conjunction with gtk2 builds? What else is in the environment? Only about 3 zillion gconf2 'registry' entries that I don't understand :)

What distro, desktop, flash-plugin version, type of install (an .rpm? a tgz? ) and kernel are you running? I'll post something about this to the bug as well.

inf:
Flash plugin: http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/apt/ ... 2.i386.rpm
Flash install type: a scripted .rpm that registers itself with the browser (this was broken on flash for awhile)
Distro: Fedora core 1
desktop: today, it's kde 3.1.4, often xfce
Kernel: 2.6.0-test10. (fresh off the stove), built with gcc 3.3.2-2
glibc: 2.3.2-101.1

When I first started running fb, ( many moons back), I thought the flash plugins were hugely slow, and that was on a gentoo beta (and also a slackware) distro and the flash/shock .tgz tarball from the official flash site.

Anyway: I'll keep up with this bug since, for once, I don't seem to have it. :?

**edit**
I posted some /etc/gconf and xpti.dat info from my install to the bug you mentioned. Might be worth checking that on your own install.
teksaver

Post by teksaver »

I had the bug when I first installed firebird7.. but then I tried it on a redhat machine and it didn't appear.
I think the bug happens with an old version of the plugin.. after all the RPM that is downloadable is a RPM version2.. maybe the first one was faulty, or compiled with gcc2.x
I actually suspect the .tar.gz on macromedia website to be faulty
Anyway flash now works for me too :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031216 Firebird/0.7+ (Optimized for Athlon XP SSE by Yek)
Yek

Post by Yek »

Well, glad you got it working :)

There's another updated build for today (in case you want to break it again lol).
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

I posted to Bugzilla. I experience the same problem and will try the beta plugins.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Yek

Post by Yek »

TheOneKEA wrote:I posted to Bugzilla. I experience the same problem and will try the beta plugins.

Did those plugins ever begin working ok for you?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

No. Some Flash movies play at what feels like a normal speed, but others, like the movies on nV News, still lag and play very slowly. I'm using this now:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031203 Firebird/0.7+ (andrew; XFT+GTK2; optimized P4/SSE-2)
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
Yek

Post by Yek »

TheOneKEA wrote:No. Some Flash movies play at what feels like a normal speed, but others, like the movies on nV News, still lag and play very slowly. I'm using this now:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031203 Firebird/0.7+ (andrew; XFT+GTK2; optimized P4/SSE-2)

Have you got a url for the nvnews slow flash stuff? I've been trying to get this to happen to me and I don't see anything on nvnews.com.
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

WOW!
Under SuSE Linux 9.0 this build works very fast.
Greatly!!

Heinrich Witt
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040309 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040304)
Yek

Post by Yek »

TeddyBerlin wrote:WOW!
Under SuSE Linux 9.0 this build works very fast.
Greatly!!

Heinrich Witt

Oh - cool. Thanks for the feedback, also another update today. D/L mgr is a little closer to working as advertised.
Yek

Post by Yek »

Updated build.
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

Great work!!
I use now only yours builds.

Heinrich Witt
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040309 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5+ (20040304)