CVS from ~0815am PST:
*New 30-Jan notes on build environment: (glibc update again today) I updated to fedora core 2 beta (all development) so builds are all **gcc-3.3.2-8**, **glibc-2.3.3-7**, kernel *2.6.2-rc2-mm2* (akpm branch) , *gtk2 2.3.2-2*, *gconfd-2 updated again*, XFree -> 4.3.0-45.0.1 as well which changes the Xft.h equation yet again :)
30-Jan: I might stop uploading builds because I'm running latest builds of gtk2/gconfd/gcc/glibc and compatibility has slipped away for many who aren't also doing the same. Before I give up, I made static build for today. Its a little larger for download than the rest, but may have enough built-in libs from my system to run. If anyone wants to try it out and let me know, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll just stop uploading. Thanks. PS: Its very difficult to see why a static build would help in linux because of the way they make it. If pmap -x showed that libraries were shared in the dynamic builds, but not in the static builds (which isnt' what it shows), then it'd be promising, but until I hear from someone else on another system, I have no idea how this'll go.
29-Jan: Still testing but stable so far
28-Jan: Working well for me, but a report of incompatibility near the end of this thread, having to do, probably with pthreads, and how gtk was built on the user's system vs. mine. (I think :))
27-Jan: Feels solid so far. Have used with tbe + skypilot theme without a problem yet. (yet, is the keyword :))
26-Jan: Nothing of note, all seems to work ok, and sometimes that's pretty good news. I'm still able to use tbe with it, but I have no idea about any other extensions. I also am testing skypilot with this build and it works very well.
24-Jan: Nothing of obvious note yet.
23-Jan: Same as 22'nd to outward appearances. Will update if I find anything as I use it.
22-Jan: Seems fine, but I've got little time to test anything right now. TBE works ok, all built-in functionality works ok, that's about it for now. I updated my build environment with a newer gcc again, but will update this later.
19-Jan: Only thing I've noticed new is that the right edge of 'create in'on the add bookmarks dialog has a 1/4" beveled plain edge that has no arrow to indicate what it's for, although the one that brings down the full bookmarks addition page (rather than the quick bar) works fine. This is cosmetic, so no big thing.
18-Jan: Same as yesterday. Re extensions: These'll be flakey or not work at all until they catch up. TBE appears to hierachically get between many previously working extensions and the trunk code. If you install prefbuttons without TBE, it works. If you install it with TBE, it gives the XBL bindings error. The same cheap trick I used to fix this for TBE won't work for prefbuttons or the other few I tried. I feel sorry for the extension guys who are actually trying to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of this rapidly modified browser.
17-Jan: Much like yesterday's, See my reply in this thread for TBE troubles:
It feels like some change was made in rendering images, and there's a checkin about tiling some areas quicker. I can never be sure about these subjective things, but it does seem a little quicker on pages that have a lot of images, like a newspaper, or THG. I've no idea if that's because of that checkin or if its all in my mind :)
- there was also some print-preview problem with the skypilot theme yesterday which either misaligned the <>^ navigation arrows upon closing print preview, or forgot to restore the BTF shortcuts. This problem isn't there for me today.
16-Jan: Yesterday's and today's builds seem to have crossed another boundary for some extensions.
- All the built-in functionality (venkman, domi, pageinfo, etc) works well today.
- Prefbuttons, the only extension I use, which is about 3k in length, and makes no reference to Widgets :), no longer works. I tried to debug it, but I was testing tabextensions for someone and realized that prefbuttons 'rebreaks' tab extensions in some cases. It causes tbe to die on it's usual can't bind xbl error, so as of the 14-jan build, something has taken another turn.
- TBE: I'd hacked up a working version and was using it, but updated it to the most recent version today, which works fine after you get the initial XBL bindings error (or it just exits on you), and you go into ~./chrome/chrome.rdf and find "Widgets" and replace it with "Bindings" (sheesh.. ) I think this is still around because maybe netscape uses it differently.
But, since I usually use no extensions and have only recently taken to using tbe and that just for the 'undo last close tab' feature, this build seems fine to me. Prefbuttons will probably be easy to fix given an hour or two.
ps: I ran this build in debug trying to figure out my initial problems, and I think with all of the relocating of cvs branches, that there's at least double the usual warnings and errors starting up and loading a page. This may be making it run more slowly for the moment. Then again, this is always a tough call.
14-Jan - uploaded.
- print preview and double-headers on tools/pageinfo are both working, but not working correctly today. This seems to be an intermittent problem.
- Most of the complaints I had about yesterdays source were fixed today, like printing being broken, and print-preview, and some missing images on each complex page. The tbe I hacked (see forum fb bugs) still works fine with this one, but by this time, the regular tbe may work fine as well. I haven't tried that. I'm working on the view-source/save page functionality.
- one thing about tools/pageinfo is that it displays the menu twice across (repeats once). I've a feeling this is my fault since I worked on the original pageInfo.xul bug. Will look into it.
- looks like help/about is reading v1.7a and 0.8.0+ today.
- Code: Select all
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse"