User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled Thunderbird. For some unknown reason it won't launch. I double click the icon, and even try manual launch and the application just won't launch! Help Please!
* What happens when you try to launch it?
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What operating system?
* What is the exact wording of the error message you are receiving if any?
* Do you have any extensions installed?
* Do you use a theme other than the default?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? It is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
When I try to launch it NOTHING happens-no response whatsoever.
I have the latest version of Thunderbird.
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
There is no error-program simply will not launch.
Just installed the program and it won't launch or even show timer cursor.
What version. Latest version tells me nothing. There is the latest full release of 1.0.7 and the latest test version of 1.5RC2.
If you bring up the Windows Task Manager, is Thunderbird.exe running under processes?
I believe it is the 1.0.7 version. The executible does not show up in the task manager when it is supposedly "launched".
Does Thunderbird Safe Mode bring it up? Start>All Programs>Mozilla Thunderbird>Thunderbird (Safe Mode)
Try to install TB 1.5. Get it from the TB builds forum. I had the same problem but resolved it when I uninstall the 1.0.7 and install 1.5.
Ok, SafeMode of 1.0.7 doesn't work, neither does 1.5. But get this-Portable Thunderbird works like a dream!
Do you have data in your profile that you want to keep? If so, backup your profile now. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup We are going to try a compete clean install.
1. Backup profile to a safe place and then uninstall TB using Add/Remove Programs http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
2. Delete the entire Thunderbird folder from C:\Documents and Settings\*user name*\Application Data\Thunderbird (For XP) See this about the profile and locations: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird and then also delete the Mozilla Thunderbird folder in your Program Files.
3. Run CCleaner to get the leftover bits: http://www.ccleaner.com/
5. Reinstall a new downloaded copy of TB. Might as well use 1.5 since it is in full release as of today.
6. Create new profiles and accounts
7. Migrate messages and addressbooks back to TB. When we get to this point you can either follow the instructions under the Profile Backup link or I can walk you through another method that I like.
Ok, I uninstalled the program, but there's a left over folder in my programs-should I manually delete it?
I uninstalled tb, and reinstalled again-right before completion an error came up saying that a previous install did not complete properly.
Yes, manually delete that folder. I mentioned that in step 2
I have exactly the same problem. TB 1.5 will just not launch. I have tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling
Deleting the Thunderbird directory in docs_and_settings>user_name>application_data
disabling my firewall (Zone Alarm)
disabling my virus scanner (NOD32)
trying to run in safe mode (still doesn't run)
When I try to launch TB, if I look in the task manager processes, I see thunderbird.exe appear for about 1/2 second and then it disappears again.
I tried uninstalling 1.5 and reinstalling 1.0.6 again and it works fine as it did before.
BTW I am running FF 1.5 also. Just installed it. Don't know if that might have anything to do with it? But anyway, TB 1.0.6 is working fine with FF 1.5
OK fixed it.
Tried uninstalling again and manually deleting the Program Files>Mozilla Thunderbird directory. Also cleared out Windows>Temp. Tried reinstalling and it works fine now.
Thanks for the feedback.
Ok-this is me(the first Guest).... Everything's fine again-got it to work! Thanks for the help-now I've just got to figure out how to sync my tb and my portable tb...sigh...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests