Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
phubert

Error launching browser window: no XBL binding for browser

Post by phubert »

after unzipping 11-23-2003 build ....

**Edit

Replaced with latest milestone build & no problems.
phubert
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

I'm guessing you're using TBE? If so, that's what is breaking.
phubert

I'm guessing you're using TBE? If so, that's what is breakin

Post by phubert »

TBE?? Well, the latest milestone worked fine...

But what is TBE?? Ahhh..."Tabbed Browsing Extensions" .. right?

Hmm... doesn't seem an extension should prevent the browser from executing ..doesn't sound like a very good design in handling the functions of extensions.
phubert
frease

Re: I'm guessing you're using TBE? If so, that's what is bre

Post by frease »

phubert wrote:TBE?? Well, the latest milestone worked fine...

Hmm... doesn't seem an extension should prevent the browser from executing ..doesn't sound like a very good design in handling the functions of extensions.

Read this:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=36207
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

In upcoming milestones we're going to be making some changes that will probably prevent TBE from working as a "standard extension."

TBE does some terrible things including replacing core browser files, and the Firebird dev team does not recommend using it unless you are prepared to have your browser break every few days. The only exception is if you tend to use a release build (rather than nightlies) and that release build is explicitly supported by TBE.
phubert

Post by phubert »

thanks for the info .. I'll make it a point to remove it!!
phubert
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

bengoodger wrote:

In upcoming milestones we're going to be making some changes that will probably prevent TBE from working as a "standard extension."

TBE does some terrible things including replacing core browser files, and the Firebird dev team does not recommend using it unless you are prepared to have your browser break every few days. The only exception is if you tend to use a release build (rather than nightlies) and that release build is explicitly supported by TBE.

ben,
are there plans to incorporate some of the essential features in TBE (the ones that are responsible for SO many people using it), such as single window mode, into the core? i have heard discussions about this but they all contradict each other.
thanks.

p.s. it really would be truly wonderful if i didn't have to have that extension installed to use single window mode. it slows down the browser so, so, SO much, and i would much rather run the application cleanly and without any extensions at all.
phubert

development platform?

Post by phubert »

However, aren't extensions part of the philosophy of Mozilla to begin with?

I think extensions are great, and would be even greater if I could learn XUL and write extensions for my own use!

It DOES seem, from what I'm reading here, that extensions can exceed the proper boundaries and wind-up breaking the app, itself. THAT isn't exactly cool.

I DO like some of the TBE features and noticed it immediately this morning after I had disabled it. I don't see a means for UNINSTALLING extensions...
phubert
Quack

Post by Quack »

bengoodger wrote:TBE does some terrible things including replacing core browser files, and the Firebird dev team does not recommend using it unless you are prepared to have your browser break every few days. The only exception is if you tend to use a release build (rather than nightlies) and that release build is explicitly supported by TBE.

But is this not one of the more popular extensions?? It may also be terrible that the developers give no indication of trying to incorporate into or give encouragement to others to fix the problem areas. And i hate to say this . . . but it smacks of MS's attitude of 'we know whats best for u!'
" oh no!!! . . . it's a beta . . . it will jump outta ur computer & stab u, ur family and ur pets !!!" lol
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Well, about the only useful functionality I see in TBE is recovering tabs from a crash(with fuxxors your browsers' speed) and putting all pages in the same window. Otherwise, TBP and Session Saver work fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

I'm sure some of this can be done sans-TBE, but nonetheless:

With TBE you get to force Firebird to load URLs in new tabs, in the background, so you can browse around other programs firing off links to your heart's content, without cluttering up your taskbar or having to play whack-a-mole to minimise them all.

You can activate tabs just by pointing at them (zero-click activation!); auto-reload via the context menu; tab duplication via the context menu; you can move the tab bar to the bottom of the screen.

You can eliminate the need for the New Tab toolbar button (and keyboard shortcut) by forcing the tab bar to always stay open and just double-clicking it. If you accidentally middle-click a tab to shut it, you can just middle-click again to reinstate it (or do one of numerous other configurable actions with a single middle-click). You can use bookmark names in tabs instead of page titles. I'm sure TabGroups are great fun, too, though I've never used them.

You can choose where in the tab bar new tabs should open; change the colours of tabs; recycle blank tabs; lock tabs so all links open in new tabs; save tab auto-reloading and locking to bookmarks automatically.

The majority of feature requests at n.p.m.wishlist result in "get TBE"; Robert Mohr added it specifically to the wishlist FAQ.

Changing Firebird for the better, with no regard for TBE (which is what I presume and hope you're doing) is fine by me, but changing it in order to hurt TBE is not on, and would indeed smell vaguely of µsoft.

...aaaaand relax!
phubert

Post by phubert »

I especially liked being able to open tabs by just pointing at them .. but there are other features as well .. I don't see anything that provides the range of features TBE does.

move tab bar by it's drag and drop
show scrollbar in the tab bar
special actions in tabs
context menu of tabs

...and many, many more ...
phubert
nirvana

Post by nirvana »

johnleemk wrote:Well, about the only useful functionality I see in TBE is recovering tabs from a crash(with fuxxors your browsers' speed) and putting all pages in the same window. Otherwise, TBP and Session Saver work fine.

no... TBP virtually never works -- supposedly it used to work for 0.6.1, though i personally have never seen it do a single thing. and besides, even if it did work with most copies of firebird, it would provide next to nothing in terms of features.

as for functionality of TBE, there is quite a bit that makes it an important extension, such as single window mode (this feature is the most important. without this, i wind up with a bunch of separate browser windows open, sort of defeating the purpose of tabs. of course this is only how i feel, though i know many people agree.), and confirm when closing browser window with more than one tab open. its clear from the forums that many, many people find this tool useful, if not necessary. i know i do.

as for things that i think SHOULD be extensions, something like "tab colors" is a good example, as well as "restore tabs after crash". colors are NOT a necessary core feature for functionality, but rather a nice little extra that some people may want, and restore tabs is a pretty heavy addition that does not strike me as a core component.

if things like that are kept as extensions, but the features that are most essential in TBE are coded into the browser, then people would not HAVE to use an extension that virtually consumes and takes over the entire app. i hate tbe, but i need it. :(

phew, that was a bit long...
frease

Post by frease »

nirvana:

single window mode ...

Put this your user.js (create it and put it in profile folder> xxxxxxxxx.slt> (put here) :

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.block.target_new_window", true);
Waldo

Post by Waldo »

The features I used to use TBE for:
  • On close of a tab, focus previously selected tab (FLST does this, tho) - worth noting that this has been by my thinking incorrectly WONTFIX'd in Bugzilla - this is one option that should be a preference
  • Single-window browsing (for some reason the user_pref() thing hasn't worked correctly for me)
  • Drag-and-drop tabs

I've become lazy and don't install it any more (ever since it broke for a while about a month ago).