MozillaZine

How do I make Firebird and Thunderbird work together???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kersten78

Post Posted November 25th, 2003, 11:08 pm

Hello everybody!

Quick question from a Firebird/Thunderbird newbie.

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 with Firebird 0.7 and Thunderbird 0.3 as my browser/email progs.
All I really want is for them to work together.
For example, when someone emails me a link, I want to click it and have Firebird respond by opening the link. Currently, when I hover over the link in Thunderbird, the address is displayed in the status bar, but nothing happens when I click it.
In addition, when I come across an email link while browsing with Firebird, I want to click it and have Thunderbird respond with a compose mail window. Currently all I get is the following error:
Alert! mailto is not a registered protocol

Is there a simple fix to make these programs work together? or am I dreaming....

Thanks for the help,
Kris

frease

Post Posted November 25th, 2003, 11:32 pm

Old Persist

Post Posted November 26th, 2003, 9:33 am

This is fixed in <a href="http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2003-11-19-trunk/thunderbird-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2">this build</a> of Thunderbird, the current testing build. When you click on a link in an email it will launch whatever you have set as your default browser in Gnome. Gnome Control Centre> Advanced> Preferred Applications. If you don't use Gnome try this workaround http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... c&start=90
As for the mailto links try the mozex extension. I don't use it myself as I don't send Emails to webpages. Well, not often enough to make it worth the hastle as right click, copy and paste work well enough.

Return to Firefox Support