MozillaZine

Firebird's got a new download manager! Help testing!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
bengoodger

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 12:30 pm

spark wrote:The biggest boost to downloading would be if Mozilla could do cross-session resuming (Pause a file, close Mozilla, reopen and continue downloading). Doubt it'll ever happen though :cry:

Don't doubt too hard, it may yet happen ;-) Darin and I are talking about it.

spark

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 12:31 pm

That would rock! We want to do this in Epiphany too, so if Mozilla supports it we can too :D

CeleronXL

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 12:51 pm

Screenshots?

bengoodger

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 1:07 pm

daihard wrote:[snip]user_pref("browser.download.dir", "/home/dtoyama");[/code]
So yes, this does seem to be a bug. By default, the same entries should be present in prefs.js that point to "/home/dtoyama/Desktop".

Don't be so quick to edit your prefs file. You should (unless there's a bug) be able to pick any dir you like from the UI, using the dropdown list (choose "Other..." to select). This is not new though, it's been in FB since before 0.7.

Pike

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 1:16 pm

The reason I can't use Firebird's download manager is that everytime my connection wobbles a bit (which it does a lot) the file being downloaded stops as if it had completed. It ends up in my downloads dir but only partially complete. Is there a bug # for this, or any hope it may be fixed?

TheOneKEA

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 1:45 pm

I get the same problem. The drivers I use for my wireless card tend to get a bit flaky in poor signal environments, and when my AP link drops so does my download. Amazingly, though, after kicking the drivers a few times, I have seen my downloads resume.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618

Steffen

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 2:14 pm

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/qa/downloads.html wrote:Completion Notification - when all downloads are complete a mail-biff style notification appears in the bottom right of the screen (Windows). The link in the notification is clickable if the completed downloads are still present in the download manager list, that is, if the retention policy is not set to "Remove upon successful download".

The link is clickable, but it doesn't work (retention policy = manual).

Colin Ramsay

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 2:30 pm

Ben, I would kiss your face repeatedly if you implemented download statusbar functionality. That would be ace beyond words.

I can hope :)

Downloading my first new FB build since 0.7 to test this new functionality.
http://colinramsay.ath.cx - Mozilla, CSS, .NET

daihard
Folder@Home

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 2:33 pm

bengoodger wrote:Don't be so quick to edit your prefs file. You should (unless there's a bug) be able to pick any dir you like from the UI, using the dropdown list (choose "Other..." to select). This is not new though, it's been in FB since before 0.7.

Actually, I edited my user.js. I have all my personal preferences in user.js so when I install a new nightly, copying user.js to the fresh profile will always bring back all my preferences. No need to touch the GUI. ;)

My point, though, is that by default, prefs.js should have the entry to point the default download directory to "Desktop" because that's what the Tools/Options dialog box shows. If no default download directory should be specified, the "ask me where to save every file" option should be checked by default instead. What do you think?
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)

nexx

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 3:50 pm

as long as the download statusbar extension still works!
<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/nexx1/oxpmenu/" title="Office XP Menus">Office XP Menus</a> || <a href="http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/firefox-unofficial-branding.php"> Unofficial Firefox Branding</a>

PhoenixNostalgia

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 5:19 pm

bengoodger wrote:
spark wrote:The biggest boost to downloading would be if Mozilla could do cross-session resuming (Pause a file, close Mozilla, reopen and continue downloading). Doubt it'll ever happen though :cry:

Don't doubt too hard, it may yet happen ;-) Darin and I are talking about it.

OH PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN BY 0.8 FINAL. The new download manager sounds nice, but its gotta have cross-session resuming for people to love Firebird even more. Many would be able to finally have a manager seeing as many third party download managers don't support Firebird just yet with the exception of one good manager out there. This feature is a must.

Also, maybe I'm asking too much, but will there be any kind of "accelerator" feature which would emulate the kind of multiple connection downloading that Getright, Download Accelerator, Gozilla, Netleech, and pretty much every download manager supports? I know it seems kinda much to do by 0.8, but if team Firebird can accomplish this by version 1.0, it would be absolutely incredible for people with a broadband connection.

Thumper

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 5:44 pm

Acceleration is a niche feature which belongs in dedicated download managers (few people download linux iso images with their web browsers). Resume across sessions is a killer feature on dialup though, especially considering that currently there really aren't any high-quality, cross-platform and open source implementations of this kind of thing with good Mozilla integration. (not that that's asking a lot, obviously.)

- Chris

TychoQuad

Post Posted November 27th, 2003, 8:08 pm

I agree, cross session resuming and crash/connection loss recovery is a must. I will check out this latest update with great intrest though :) EDIT: When i can get a 27th build that is...

While i'm waiting, could somebody land me a screenshot of this new change in action? I don't fully understand how it is supposed to look/work.

scratch

Post Posted November 28th, 2003, 12:05 am

thumperward wrote:Acceleration is a niche feature which belongs in dedicated download managers

...or extensions.

scratch

Post Posted November 28th, 2003, 12:09 am

i agree that you should get a dialog asking if you really want to exit if you hit file -> exit, but if you "exit the app" by closing all windows, I think that FB should stay loaded in memory and finish the downloads, then exit when they complete. or, alternately, maybe the download manager should pop up?

Return to Firefox General