MozillaZine

Saved fields being wiped clean when I quit Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
herschelg

Post Posted February 9th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I have the newest version of Firefox on a new PC running Windows XP. Since I updated to the newest version of Firefox, my web browser has lost the ability to remember what I have typed into search fields. For example, if I am in google and I type in "fish," then the next time I am in google and type "f", fish should appear as an option. My Firefox does not do that anymore. I have the Saved Forms box checked in the options, meaning it should always save them. In the clear private data, I have the box unchecked that says to clear that data when quiting. So, unless there are other options, this should work, and it is frustrating because it worked prior to Firefox version 1.5. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I dont really want to start erasing profiles and making drastic changes.
Thanks
Herschel

dickvl

Post Posted February 9th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Try to rename or delete formhistory.dat in your profile folder. It might be damaged or corrupted.

Go to your Profile Folder:
Start > Run: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
Go to the ********.default folder (random name), that is your profile folder.

Delete (or rename to test) formhistory.dat with firefox closed.

Post Posted February 10th, 2006, 9:17 pm

dickvl
Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested, but it did not work.
I tried this on my own. I started Firefox in Safe Mode. Then I typed a few words in google. When I quit safe mode and restarted in safe mode, all those words were still in google. I then quit and started Firefox in normal mode, and all those words were still there. When I typed new words in normal Firefox, quit and started again, those words were not there. So I went back into Safe Mode and typed some searches in other websites, and when I go back into Firefox normal, all of them held. Any suggestions? Are there other user preferences that hold this information?
Thanks for any suggestions you have.
Herschel
P.S. At this point, I would be happy to try any suggestions by anyone.

dickvl

Post Posted February 11th, 2006, 6:23 pm

If it works in safe-mode then it's an extension that causes it.
You can disable an extension in Tools > Extensions (right-click: Disable, also possible in safe-mode).
You have to find the one that's causing it and see if you can find an update or keep it disabled/uninstall.

You can check this: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365156 (#3)

MotoVT

Post Posted February 11th, 2006, 7:09 pm

I had this very same problem with the tab mix plus extension. Once I removed it and used Tab Fx, the search history stayed saved.
Firefox 5.0 WIN XP SP 3

4BoltMain

Post Posted February 11th, 2006, 9:55 pm

If you have the cache set to 0 MB (TOOLS--OPTIONS--PRIVACY--CACHE) you will experience the same issue regardless of the extensions you have installed.
"The more precisely the position is determined,
the less precisely the momentum is known" WH

Herschelg

Post Posted February 12th, 2006, 12:11 am

dickvl
I only had two extensions...one of them was Google Toolbar for Firefox. When I disabled it, everything worked the way it was supposed to! Thanks for the tip. My guess is when I upgraded to Firefox 1.5.0.1, it created a conflict with a setting inside Google Toolbar. I dont mind disabling it since I never use it.
I also checked my cache setting and it is set to 50 megs, which I think is default.
Thanks for your help, and thank you everyone who posted here. I am glad things work as normal.
Funny, I should know all about extensions...I have been working with MACs at works for years! :)
Herschel

dickvl

Post Posted February 12th, 2006, 1:14 am

Glad it's fixed and you're welcome! :)

Post Posted March 6th, 2006, 11:04 pm

i have a similar problem...... i dont want the book marks tool bar so when i open mozilla i unchecked bookmarks toolbar and also i put new tab button in my menu bar but when i restart my browser these changes are not there !!!!

plz can any one help??

michebekk

Post Posted March 7th, 2006, 7:29 pm

I deleted google toolbar but I still have the problem with not being able to save form info

Post Posted March 10th, 2006, 8:58 am

You have Update Notifier 0.1.2 ?
With me apparent the cause.

supernova_00

Post Posted March 10th, 2006, 9:19 am

This is a Firefox bug, I don't know which number but seems that some extension tickle the bug or shall we say expose it. Nothing wrong with the extension though.

Feierfox

Post Posted March 11th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Where can I find these on Bugzilla?? I found nothing. I lose the NEW(!!) form data since the update on UN 0.1.2.

Morac

Post Posted April 8th, 2006, 9:18 pm

I don't know if there is an older bug report, but I've posted most of what I found in Bug 331276 which documents the same problem.

thexder

Post Posted May 14th, 2006, 5:58 pm

I have exactly the same problem!

By myself I already traced extension "Update Notifier 0.1.2" as one of the "saved forms" trouble makers. Later on I will try to disable extension Tab Mix Plus to see if TMP is also making "saved forms" problems.

I don't know if it is allowed here, but I will mention another problem which I've discovered on my Firefox 1.5.0.3 for Windows.

The Situation:
In Tools>Options>Privacy>Passwords I have "Saved Forms" checked,
in Tools>Options>Privacy>Passwords Firefox does not "Remember Passwords", and
in Tools>Options>Privacy>Download History the (Firefox) "Download Manager" removes its download history when Firefox exits.

My Problem & My Question:
In my "Clear Private Data" window, Save Passwords and Download History are always grey and not changeable.
How come? And how can I change that? It is very annoying working this way!

Return to Firefox Support