Lousy Font Rendering in Camino

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

riven2000

Lousy Font Rendering in Camino

Post by riven2000 »

Ok, I've seen this before in Camino, but no one's really had any clear answer up to now - At ImageShack I've uploaded a shot of text from Camino's support page,

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2221/samples9jj.jpg

rendered in Camino, Safari, Shiira, and Omniweb. As you can see, three out of four browsers are pretty consistent. But Camino's text rendering SUCKS!!

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a font setting I missed? Any help would be appreciated. :D
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

How did you get the text to render so ugly?

This is what it looks like in Camino 1.0 on my Mac OS 10.4.5 system.
http://www.caminobrowser.org/support/

riven2000

Post by riven2000 »

I suppose it could be the font I'm using - but it _does_ show up clearly on the other browsers. AFAIK I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. :roll:
brutal

Post by brutal »

Maybe Camino has a built in Anti-All-Caps-Impact-font-blocker to save peoples eyesight?
Last edited by brutal on February 15th, 2006, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
riven2000

Post by riven2000 »

Yeah, there we go....
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

There are issues with bold and certain fonts (esp. on 10.4, iirc) in Gecko in general, so this might be one of them. The future switch to Cairo/CoreGraphics should clear them up.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
riven2000

Post by riven2000 »

I thought it might have something to do with Gecko. They're switching engines? Hadn't heard that. Any idea when?
aanhorn

Post by aanhorn »

I've noticed this too. One some websites, like macupdate.com, some text is crisp in Safari etc. and blurred out in Camino.
falling forward. | aanhorn.spymac.com
ldub

Post by ldub »

Yeah, I just noticed this this morning when I went to Apple's support discussions forum. The font is pretty nasty.
perardi

Post by perardi »

riven2000 wrote:I thought it might have something to do with Gecko. They're switching engines? Hadn't heard that. Any idea when?

Nah, they're not switching rendering engines. Cairo is, well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29

It's a cross-platform graphics layer that will be used on upcoming Gecko-based browsers. It'll replace the hoary old Carbon/ATSUI/cruft left over from way back when that Camino, as well as Firefox, still uses.

I think that's what's going on, correct?
riven2000

Post by riven2000 »

Cool. Either way, hopefully it'll do some good.:D
aanhorn

Post by aanhorn »

I also heard - once Camino leaves Carbon behind, that scrollwheel sensitivity/smoothscroll will be on par with Safari finally. Anyone know anything about this?
falling forward. | aanhorn.spymac.com
aptenergy

Post by aptenergy »

riven2000, does the same thing happen in Firefox?
riven2000

Post by riven2000 »

It's been awhile since I used it on the Mac, but I believe so. Pretty much all the Gecko-based browsers do that on my machine. That's why I'm now looking at Shiira and Omniweb (still don't like that $29.95 price tag though).
coldforge

Post by coldforge »

Basically, Camino/Gecko has trouble rendering nearly any font aside from the system-default ones, like Georgia or Baskerville. Many fonts it will not render at all, instead simply rendering the text in Lucida Grande—then others, like the one you've got there, it will render alright, BUT: rich styles, like bolding and italic, do not actually use the bold/italic face of the font, but rather take the default face and make it thicker/slant it. Thus they almost always look like crap. There's not much to be done until the switch (if the switch will in fact fix things), but to stick to the fonts that come with your machine.