Archived Flash Discussion II

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Post by Guest »

I am having a similar problem to several people who have posted here recently: often when loading pages with flash (espn.com does it almost every time) I get a window that pops up saying a problem has occurred with Flash, suggesting I restart. The browser occasionally crashes on pages with flash as well. I DO have adblock installed but this occurs even in safe mode. Anyone come up with a solution yet?

I will be using flashblock until then!
alanbo

Re: Having problems with Flash?

Post by alanbo »

Hendikins wrote:Use the latest Macromedia Flash Player
Using the latest Macromedia Flash Player can reduce the numbers of problems you have, as well as containing security fixes. The latest versions of Macromedia Flash Player at the time of writing are:
Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003: Flash Player 8.0r22

The 'r' in 8.0r22 seems to be crucial. I updated to FF1.5 and it was crashing regularly when opening after booting up. When I checked Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer /Application/Error, it quoted module npswf32.dll as the problem every time - this is the Flash plugin. Haviing checked http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=365156, which says that Flash plugins can cause problems if not updated, I checked my version (on Flash content - right click/About Macromedia Flash) and it was 8.0.22, which according to the Flash site is the most up to date. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash anyway and discovered that I'd upgraded to 8.0r22. about:plugins quoted the version as 8.0r22. However, right clicking on Flash content still quoted the version as 8.0.22 - with no 'r'. This solved the problem of FF crashing. Because of this people may not realise that their Flash plugin is not up to date.

New module is NPSWF32.dll - i.e in upper case - don't know if this makes a difference.

XP Pro SP2
Firefox 1.5
richardakam

Quick and easy...

Post by richardakam »

Thanks - removing click on Flash was easy... Cheers Richardakama
francisco_argentina

Post by francisco_argentina »

tengo un probema con QUICK TIME , los archivos flash (de "www.canalmensajero.com") se ejecutan con el y no andan... uso firefox en español

I have probem with QUICK TIME , the archives flash (of "www.canalmensajero.com") are executed with and they do not run... i use firefox in spanish
ginker

>.<

Post by ginker »

I dont know if this is a flash problem or a javascript problem, but when i open a page with flash on it in firefox, IE pops up with the message javascript:window.location+"__flashplugin_unique__"__flashplugin_unique__

Which ive googled and cant find anything
please email me with a solution if you have one
*******@gmail.com
ginkner

Post by ginkner »

ginkner @gmail.com
Stanwilliams

Post by Stanwilliams »

I have the latest Flash Player but still can't get Flash or Quick time on my Firefox but otherwise is great, I will try the examples above,
Thanks.
tphat

Post by tphat »

PROBLEM WITH MIC SHUTTING OFF AND BROWSER LAGGY IN FLASH VIDEO CHAT ROOM

Mic cuts out when in flash video chats. Why is nobody responding to me in this forum i have an issue with this browser with flash chat rooms and no one replys so i have chose to post here cause its flash related. Anyways when i am in SaramNET or Userplane video chat rooms the mic stops working in under 2 minutes. Another problem that only happens in Userplane video chat is the browser gets so laggy it freezes sometimes. And i know this is a browser issue cause avant browser has no issues likes these. Here is the link to the sites so you can help me with this problem. Thanks

SaramNET @ http://avchat.saramnet.com/

UserPlane @ http://www.userplane.com/chatlite/directory/ Just choose one of the more active rooms under > show all > most popular.

Post by Guest »

Hello,

your hints haven't fixed my problem which also exists in safe mode. Some embedded Flash objects aren't shown, at their position i only see white space. If I request the same swf in the address bar, it works.

In about:plugins is everything also right.
Leky

Post by Leky »

FireFox 1.5
NT 4.0
Flash Player 7.0r61

With a fresh out-of-the-box install of FireFox 1.5 (no upgrade) the

* Open the Adblock preferences (Tools -> Adblock -> Preferences)
* Click on "Adblock Options", and untick "Obj-Tabs"

do not even exist but I still have Flash Player crashes. I find absolutely no settings anywhere in the base install of FireFox concerning Adblock or it's settings. I am still experiencing FireFox crashes at some pages though, such as http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlin ... index.html

I tried to access this page a number of times yesterday and today with installs of FireFox 1.5 and 1.0.7 but experienced a crash every time. I was able to access the page with IE and Maxthon without difficulty.

I then installed AdBlock Plus. Presto!!! FireFox handled the page ( and many others I've had difficulty with ) without difficulty.

What I am getting to is this:

I am getting the flash-related crashes without any install of Ad Block at all but once I installed Ad Block Plus the crashes stopped. Why am I concluding from that, that AdBlock "is not" the problem although AdBlock Plus is the solution? Is AdBlock Plus actually fixing a problem that FireFox has in the way it handles flash?

Example URL to posting of last anonymous guest

Post by Guest »

Hello,

your hints haven't fixed my problem which also exists in safe mode. Some embedded Flash objects aren't shown, at their position i only see white space. If I request the same swf in the address bar, it works.

In about:plugins is everything also right.

An example: http://www.nur-games.de/online/snowboard.htm

Post by Guest »

I was the original above poster - I have since fixed my problem, doing three things:

1) uninstalling flash from firefox using the uninstaller downloaded from macromedia
2) installing flash player 8.5 alpha (I had to search around for it - it installed as part of a developer's package. I'm sorry I don't have a link)
3) I also added 1GB RAM to my system.

I like to think it was the alpha flash player that fixed it, but I can't be sure it wasn't a memory problem (had only 256K prior to this upgrade). No crashes yet in 72 hours.
swtfman

Post by swtfman »

I'm having a problem with sites that use pop-up menus and flash. If the menu pops up into an area that has flash content the flash content covers the menu. To see an example go to dishnetwork.com and point your cursor to Get Dish. The menu that pops up is obscured by the flash content below it. If anyone knows what causes this or how to fix it please let me know.

-Thanks
swtfman

Post by swtfman »

I forgot to add that I'm running SuSE Linux 9.0 on one machine and SuSE Linux 10.0 on another machine and both have the same problem.
charetjc

Flash content reloads in my tab replacing the webpage.

Post by charetjc »

I'm having a problem with my flash plugin.
The flash works fine, but when I visit certain sites, FireFox will display flash content in the same tab all by itself.
I must press 'Back' to return to the page that I wanted to view and the flash content that once filled the page is now properly occupying it's space on the webpage.
When this problem occurs, there is no trace of any other data from the webpage.
The problem is quite unique and I doubt I can properly explain it.
However, I can recreate it by...
  1. visiting the link at movies.yahoo.com.
  2. if the problem doesn't occur, I cycle through the production photos, pausing to let the page fully load.
  3. when the page loads a flash ad, the page disappears and the ad fills the tab. Firefox's title bar also changes and says something along the lines of
    "0605_020_C_728090_F.swf (application/x-shockwave-flash Object) - Mozilla Firefox".
  4. the occurrance of this problem is completely random.
I have the latest release of FireFox from the 'check for updates' option and installed Flash 8.0r22.

I'm not sure whether this problem is a result of some Flash feature or Firefox mishandling the plugin (my mime definitions have Firefox open swf files with the plugin). I can use Opera without this problem occurring.

I figure Flashblock will solve this issue for me and will install it.