RSS feeds won't update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
neave

RSS feeds won't update

Post by neave »

Hi there -- I'm having trouble with some of my RSS feeds that I have subscribed to under my News & Blogs account in Thunderbird. Most of the RSS feeds update fine, but some never update at all. If I delete the subscription and re-subscribe then it updates perfectly, but just clicking the 'Get Mail' for the News & Blogs account doesn't work. Any suggestions?

I'm also confused as to what the option 'Check this folder for new messages' means when you right-click and choose folder Properties. Surely all messages get updates as per the accounts settings, not individually?

Thanks for any help,
Paul.

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem, sort of. All of my RSS and newsfeeds simply stopped updating sometime this afternoon. Clicking on "Get Mail" -> "News & Blogs" doesn't work, and neither does restarting thunderbird. I have version 1.5. This happened before when I had version 1.0something, and it was only fixed when I reinstalled it or updated to 1.5. I do not really feel like reinstalling thunderbird, nor do I feel like resubscribing to all my RSS feeds. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
WebScud

Post by WebScud »

That makes three of us with this problem. :-P
SM Fusion

Post by SM Fusion »

Make that four. I also have this problem.
mechdrew

Post by mechdrew »

I have had this problem several times before and now have it again. The only way I could fix it last time was to unistall Thunderbird and delete everything associated with it. I thought that it had something to do with updating and the release candidates but this one has been the final 1.5 release from the start. I really do not want to do that again.
SM Fusion

Post by SM Fusion »

What I just did is go into my profile and delete/rename the "News and Blogs" folder (or whereever the feeds are stored). It seems to be working and checking feeds again, but I now have to re-add all of my feeds, and I have two "News and Blogs" listings on the "Get Mail" submenu...
mechdrew

Post by mechdrew »

I figured out a way to fix the problem! Here's what to try first:

Close Thunderbird. Find your profile and go to the Mail folder. Next, find the folder with your RSS feeds (News and Blogs or similar) and open it. Copy only the files with names similar to your feeds (i.e. not trash, msgfilterrules, etc.) and also copy feeditems.rdf to another folder. Next, open Thunderbird and remove the RSS account. Add a new account for RSS feeds and close Thunderbird again. Delete the old RSS folder in your profile (it should still have the old files in it) and then then put the copied files in the new RSS folder (it should only have two files in it). Restart Thunderbird. Check your RSS feeds and it will probably download every article within the feeds limit even if you already have that article. Done!

Mine is now downloading new articles again. If this doesn't work I have some more steps but I'm hoping they aren't needed. Also, if you need clarification just reply and I'll try to explain it better.

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure if this is directly related to this but I have a similar problem. For me it seems the "Get Mail" button stops working for the RSS Feeds after I resume my computer from hibernate mode with Thunderbird open. When I restart Thunderbird it works again. I'm running Thunderbird 1.5 on Windows XP.

Tobias

Post by Guest »

I have a similar problem - after having thunderbird open for a while my RSS feeds stop updating. I find if I close thunderbird and restart it, the RSS feeds are updated for a while until they stop fetching them again. My email (IMAP account) does not seem to be affected in the same way.

When I have to close thunderbird becuase of this, there seems to still be a process running which rapidly takes up 100% cpu usage that I have to manually kill.

I'm running thunderbird 1.5 (no extensions) on windows XP home and I do regularly compact my folders and keep my inbox empty. I've tried doing all the things advised in other forums like deleting the *.msf files but nothing seems to stop the cpu usage going up when thunderbird is closed after being open for a while.
Grim_Deeds

Post by Grim_Deeds »

Ack , this is painful... same problem here on WinXP Pro SP2, after returning from a trip, with all of my RSS feeds suddenly not updating as of 2/23/2006. Re-installing the feeds and TB 1.5 did not solve the issue.
mechdrew

Post by mechdrew »

Any luck with the method I posted? I know mine is still working thanks to it.

And I also have the CPU usage issue, but it is at least somewhat fixable.
Grim_Deeds

Post by Grim_Deeds »

It appears that just removing the feed.rdf and feeditems.rdf files from the "News and Blogs" folder re-enables updates to RSS feeds. I just closed TB1.5, deleted both of these files, then started TB1.5 and all of my RSS Feeds are now current from 2/23/2006, which is when they failed for me.

BTW... Both files get re-created when TB1.5 is re-started.
rincewind009

Post by rincewind009 »

ok mine seems the same as thiese problems but with a slight twist, i have 3 rss feeds coming in to thunderbird 2 work just fine but the third is well all i can say is strange, it shows that i have X-number of messages in the feed then when i open the feed there is nothing in it

using thundrrbird 1.5 if that is any help
BrianShannow

Post by BrianShannow »

Grim_Deeds wrote:It appears that just removing the feed.rdf and feeditems.rdf files from the "News and Blogs" folder re-enables updates to RSS feeds. I just closed TB1.5, deleted both of these files, then started TB1.5 and all of my RSS Feeds are now current from 2/23/2006, which is when they failed for me.

BTW... Both files get re-created when TB1.5 is re-started.

THis worked first time, my feeds had'nt updated since the 24th, thank you.
rincewind009

Post by rincewind009 »

i cannot find either "feed.rdf" or feeditems.rdf possibly because i cannot find the "news and blogs" folder on my system

i have found the profiles folder and found a few .rdf extentions but none named above

if anyone can give me a clue as to where the folder is located i would bve gratefull

i have searched my computer using XP's built in search and that is how i found the other rdf ext.