AOl mail

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
EnglishGyt

AOl mail

Post by EnglishGyt »

Can Thunderbird check AOL mail? I've been told AOL runs on IMAP and that Thunderbird can work with IMAP. I'm not a tech type, can they work together? If so how? Apologies if this has been asked before elsewhere...
The Gyt
XeF6

Post by XeF6 »

TBird doesnt do AOL mail although its based on IMAP which TBird does.
User-Agent: Thunderbird/2.0 Alpha 1 0808

Jabber IM:XeF6@jabber.org
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

scratch

Post by scratch »

i'm pretty sure i've seen relay servers similar to yahoopops for aol mail, but i can't remember the names.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Gideon007

Post by Gideon007 »

to get your AOL-mail via any IMAP-capable client use the IMAP-server name: imap.de.aol.com, username=aol-name, password=aol-password

Even though the server address looks very german (.de) it is usable by any AOL-user.

(someone should add this to the FAQ)
zadig

Post by zadig »

Has anyone used this (imap.de.aol.com to retrieve AOL mail using an IMAP client) recently? I can't get it to work, using Thunderbird or other clients (such as OS X Mail.app). The authentication always claims to fail...

I'm wondering whether AOL has perhaps closed this to any IP address that appears to be non-German, or (perhaps more likely) to non-German AOL accounts.

Thanks.
Gideon007

Post by Gideon007 »

I'm pretty sure it is not limited to germany. First I'm using this mainly from out of Austria and it works there as well as in Germany (tested).
And I will now test with an American account I have access to...
Stand by....

...hm, seems you are right. I cannot access imap.de.aol.com with that American AOL-Name (I can login fine with the aol-software). When I change it back to my aol-name it works again...

Damn. I'm sure I got it working once, though...
mstockman

Post by mstockman »

I was trying to get that to work, too... thanks for checking that. Guess we're out of luck until AOL rolls this out for all members. <sigh>
Gideon007

Post by Gideon007 »

yet another proof of AOHELL
Phoebus

works for me

Post by Phoebus »

I just used the German version (imap.de.aol.com) and im right here proud in Minnesota with an American account. i would try it again, maybe they fixed it, or possibly aohell made a mistake, finally in my favor
mscott

Post by mscott »

Thunderbirds are Go!
InvisiBill

Post by InvisiBill »

From http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/#3rd-party...

Then, on April 5, 2004, things changed drastically as AOL announced Open Mail Access -- IMAP and authenticated Authenticated SMTP servers available to its membership. (These functions were introduced over time first to users of CompuServe 2000, then to foreign AOL markets.)

The .de one probably is a German server, though they may not actually limit it to Germany. But they have standard IMAP and SMTP servers to use now.

http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#aol lists the servernames too. I don't now if it actually works, because I don't use AOL. Netscape and ICQ are closest I get. =)
ssgelm

Post by ssgelm »

Actually, the .de is pointless, because all of the respective countries simply link to imap.aol.com. From http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/:
AOL also offers IMAP and SMTP servers in its foreign markets in their respective localities. There is no difference between these servers (in fact, a DNS lookup will show they're all actually the same servers: imap.imap-r.rotors.cs.com and smtp.cs.com) and they should work interchangeably.

So, you can see it doesn't make a difference what you use.