[Ext] Unified Back-/Forward Button 0.6 [Aug 25]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
old zeniko

[Ext] Unified Back-/Forward Button 0.6 [Aug 25]

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="http://mozilla.zeniko.ch/unibafo.xpi">Unified Back-/Forward Button</a> provides a double-button with just one menu for navigating back and forward [screenshots].

The features of this extension are:
<li>The current page is highlighted in bold print and the pages are listed in inverse chronological order.
<li>If the list is too long, fast-rewind/-forward entries are shown at top and bottom.
<li>The buttons and the menu items support all clicking subtleties (e.g. middle-clicking opens the selected page in a new tab).
<li>You get the page's URLs as tooltips to the menu items.

Note: If the button doesn't look good for your theme, please contact your theme's author. I only use the default theme and won't be able to help you.

Download
<a href="http://mozilla.zeniko.ch/unibafo.xpi">Unified Back-/Forward Button 0.6</a>
<li>After the update, you might have to move the two buttons provided by Firefox to where the combined button used to be. Also any further customization through userChrome.css will have to be adapted.
<li>The original Back and Forward buttons are merged now (a separate button is no longer provided).
<li>The button parts can be individually added/removed from the toolbars.

This release works for Firefox 2.0 (mainly tested with the Winstripe theme).

Customization
The maximum length of the unified menu can be changed by creating a new Integer pref called <code>browser.sessionhistory.unified_length</code> in about:config and setting it to a value different than 11 (the default).

Styling
The button could be styled further through userChrome.css. E.g. to make it easier to hit with the mouse:

Code: Select all

/* Fitts' Back Button - bigger target on the icon-only toolbar */
toolbar[mode="icons"] #back-button > [anonid="button"] {
   -moz-box-orient: horizontal !important;
}
toolbar[mode="icons"] #back-button > [anonid="button"] > label {
   display: -moz-box !important;
   margin: 0px 2px 1px 2px !important;
   -moz-margin-start: 5px !important;
}

And if you prefer the history to be ordered in reverse (earlier visited entries at the top):

/* Order the drop-down menu in the same way as the Forward button's menu */
#back-button[unified] > menupopup scrollbox > box {
   -moz-box-direction: reverse !important;
}

Accessibility
Back and Forward are as usual [Alt]+[Left] and [Alt]+[Right]. To access the drop-down menu, you can use the following keyconfig macro ([Esc] closes the menu):

document.getElementById("back-button").open = true;

Revisions
~~ 0.5 ~~~~
<li>Updated for Firefox 2.0
~~ 0.4.5 ~~~~
<li>Reversed the page list order (last to first)
<li>Reduced the default list length to 11
~~ 0.4 ~~~~
<li> Dropped support for specific themes in favor of a solution which should look OK with most themes
~~ 0.3.4 ~~~~
<li> Supports also miniFox, miniFoxFlat, iFox, iFox Graphite, iFox Orange
~~ 0.3.3 ~~~~
<li> The last history entry can now also be reached through fast-forward
~~ 0.3.2 ~~~~
<li> Clicking on a disabled button acts as if clicking on the dropdown marker
~~ 0.3.1 ~~~~
<li> Bug fix: clicking on the disabled button resulted in an empty popup menu
~~ 0.3 ~~~~
<li> Bug fix: an entry could appear both as a normal and as a fast-forward entry
~~ 0.2.2 ~~~~
<li> Supports the following themes: Qute, Noia (Extreme), Apollo, Safire, Eternal Aqua, iFox Smooth
~~ 0.2.1 ~~~~
<li> Highlight the active page additionally with a bullet
~~ 0.2 ~~~~
<li> Added fast-rewind/-forward menu items (inspired by this 'Places' draft)
<li> Made the menu length customizable through about:config (extensions.unibafo.*)
~~ 0.1 ~~~~
<li> Initial release 2006-03-06
Last edited by old zeniko on September 7th, 2007, 9:12 am, edited 26 times in total.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Oooh, very nice!

Do you know if it's possible to hide the windows hover effect from not only the buttons on this extension, but the default ones as well? (just the hover effect from the back/forward pulldown menu) With the windows theme I use, they kind of clash when you hover over the pulldown menu

EDIT: instead of making the selected page bold, what if you put one of those dots to signify that, like the History/Go menu has to identify the same thing

edit by moderator SKopischke:
This topic is continued at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=594325
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I'm not sure what precisely you want to hide. If it's just the raised-looking rounded border which appears when you hover over the popup menu, the following CSS will help (otherwise I'd be glad for a picture describing what you want to achieve):

toolbarbutton[open="true"] { -moz-appearance: none !important; }

As for the dot: IMO you recognize the active page more quickly if it's printed in bold. Furthermore I use chevrons in lieu of dots for the new fast-rewind/-forward entries which I prefer not to be mistaken for a dot. Still, I'll play somewhat more with the indicators and see what I like most.

UPDATE: I've added a bullet to the entry for version 0.2.1. Still not sure whether it's really needed, but as long as the entry remains bold as well, the bullet doesn't harm...
ArtifexAmando

Post by ArtifexAmando »

This looks very interesting, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but the button is the same size as two regular buttons, perhaps?

In my mind, one of the reasons for having a unified back-/forward button would be to save toolbar space. Thinking of this, I would use this extension if the button were the size of one regular button, and I would propose to use the default theme's refresh button, but instead of blue, it should be green, like the regular back-/forward buttons. Firstly, because it has two arrows in it, secondly, because I love green. :)

With hope that you, zeniko, will consider this, and thanking you for the work you've already done,

· Artifex ·
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

The button is somewhat smaller than Back and Forward button together, but reducing the size isn't the main intent. The problem with reducing the two buttons to one is: what action would that one button have, going back or going forward or something else? And should you want to button parts with the dimensions of one regular button, the parts will become too small a target for real use.

One thing you could do is simply hide the Forward button part and just use the menu (which is also available through a right-click) for the few cases you want to go forward. To do so, add the following line to your userChrome.css:

#unibafo > toolbarbutton[anonid="button2"] { display: none !important; }
ArtifexAmando

Post by ArtifexAmando »

Yes, hiding the forward button works excellent! :) (You could add that code at http://userstyles.org/ , as it works in Stylish, too.)

I only had the back-/forward buttons visible for the right-click menus, anyway, as I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to navigate back and forth one page at a time. Hence me not realizing the problem you explained.

Excellent extension! :)

· Artifex ·
alta88

Post by alta88 »

excellent. bullet and bolded active is perfect for an 'eye-catcher'. tooltip is great for full url - any way to not truncate long urls or wrap them (don't recall if this is a fx bug).
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:any way to not truncate long urls or wrap them (don't recall if this is a fx bug).

The lack of multi-line or overlong tooltips without major hacks is a bug in Gecko, sorry.
cricketmilki

Post by cricketmilki »

IE7 has something similar to this.
Like if you mouse over to a listing it shows a back or forward symbol to indicate where
Even the greatest fool can accomplish a task if it were after his or her heart. But the intelligent ones are those who can convert every work into one that suits their taste.

http://www.vivekananda.org/quotes.aspx
FireManiac

Post by FireManiac »

Could you make this compatible with iPox?
I have an annoying habit of correcting people.
(But that's okay since I am always right)
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Unified Back-/Forward Button works in these installed themes for me:

- Crystal Dream 1.0.2
- Firefox (default)
- HaikuFox 0.3.8
- QuBranch 1.0.20060308
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

I don't seem to get it to work. It is installed... But nothing shows up. It's just the same old buttons. Any idea?
jj44

Post by jj44 »

customize the toolbar and add the button (took me a while too ;) )
Fx|3.1b2 -- OS|Win 7 Build 7000
Sekerob

Less Realestate Plz!

Post by Sekerob »

Whilst the name suggested a single icon, it seems in fact to use the Theme buttons, using an equal amount of space as the separate buttons. All together it works for me, but the edge would be to remove the tails from the arrows and or move the little dropdown button in between - underneath - the 2 tails of the arrows. Would come natural to me. Compared to the other extension, where the drop down arrows not existed, just clicking on the right side or left side of the up/down, it would produce a list of either. The integrated page list is great. Remove the bolded line of present page and sub with a like separation line. The 15 up or down is more than enough, who in this tabbed browsing environment goes further on the same tab! I'll give it a swirl on the next update....its bookmarked in my extension tracking list.

ciao
The Dutch-Italian

ivanii

Post by ivanii »

It works on Linux, but with Firefox 1.5 and default theme buttons are wider than normal, so toolbar also widens.
Get ready for revolutionary File manager!