Lightning 0.1 release candidate 1 has arrived

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
Sipaq

Lightning 0.1 release candidate 1 has arrived

Post by Sipaq »

Hi guys,

we've got release candidate bits that are close to final for Lightning 0.1 (a Mozilla calendar embedding for Thunderbird 1.5), and we're looking for help shaking out any final showstoppers.

Check out the <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning:0.1:Release_Notes">Lightning 0.1 Release Notes draft on wiki.mozilla.org</a> for details and download instructions.

Lightning 0.1RC1 identifies itself as 0.1, but has a build ID of 20060307xx for some values of xx. The build ID is visible from the extension manager. Chances are good that there will be at least one more release candidate before we declare ourselves done.

A huge thanks to the entire Mozilla Calendar team and everyone who has contributed to making Lightning's first real release happen!
Sunbird/Calendar project webmaster
Visit the Calendar developer blog
djst

Bug

Post by djst »

I can't create a calendar! I come to the step where you enter a name for the local calendar and select the color, but the Next button does nothing.

I tried it from Linux (Ubuntu Dapper 6.04) and downloaded the Linux .xpi of course. Thunderbird identifies itself as: version 1.5 (20060307) Here's some output from the JS console:

Error: [Exception... "Invalid ClassID or ContractID" nsresult: "0x80570017 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CID)" location: "JS frame :: file:///home/djst/.mozilla-thunderbird/p0s5kqbe.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/components/calItemModule.js :: initBaseComponent :: line 65" data: no]
Source File: file:///home/djst/.mozilla-thunderbird/p0s5kqbe.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/components/calItemModule.js
Line: 65

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://calendar/content/calendarUtils.js :: getCalendarManager :: line 46" data: no]
Source File: chrome://calendar/content/calendarUtils.js
Line: 46
Old ssiter

Post by Old ssiter »

Hello,

I'm running a test version of Ubuntu 6.04 too. I installed Thunderbird via apt-get and the version identifies as 1.5 (20060307) too.

I then installed the lightning.xpi from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8/ and everything works fine.

Have tried using a clean profile?
djst

Post by djst »

ssitter wrote:Hello,

I'm running a test version of Ubuntu 6.04 too. I installed Thunderbird via apt-get and the version identifies as 1.5 (20060307) too.

I then installed the lightning.xpi from http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/latest-mozilla1.8/ and everything works fine.

Have tried using a clean profile?

Very strange then. Yes, new profile, same version of Thunderbird, same lightning.xpi.
mvl

Post by mvl »

Even if you have the same version of thunderbird, it can be a different compiler. Because lightning uses components written in C++, it's picky about the compiler. You need the build from mozilla.org (or at least compiled with the same version of gcc)
djst

Post by djst »

ssitter just said he was using the exact same version of Thunderbird as I am, so I don't see why there is a difference.
djst

Post by djst »

Took the time and did a fresh Windows install (Thunderbird 1.5 english) and then installed the Windows version of lightning.xpi, and this time it doesn't install at all:

Thunderbird coult not install the file at [path here] because: Unecpected installation error. Review the JavaScript Console log for more details.

Ok, let's look at the console output:

Code: Select all

Error: installLocation has no properties
Source File: file:///C:/Program/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/components/nsExtensionManager.js
Line: 3395

Not my lucky day?
djst

Post by djst »

Update: I cleared the extensions subfolder in the Windows profile and now it installed, and creating calendars work. So, the inability to create new calendars seems to be restricted to Linux (and me?).
Old ssiter

Post by Old ssiter »

As said, works for me on ubuntu 6.04 test build.
Do you use a 32 or 64bit system? I have installed the PC (Intel x86) install CD version of the Flight CD 4 + a dist upgrade. Maybe this can be the reason of different compilers used?
djst

Post by djst »

Where is the actual calendar(s) stored anyway? I found a file called storage.sdb, is that it? However, copying it from the Windows profile to the Linux one didn't copy over the calendar...
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

djst wrote:Where is the actual calendar(s) stored anyway? I found a file called storage.sdb, is that it? However, copying it from the Windows profile to the Linux one didn't copy over the calendar...

The calendar is just an extension and stored in the Tb\Profile\extensions folder.

Folder labeled: {e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}

storage.sdb is the calendar database.
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
djst

Post by djst »

GrailKnight wrote:storage.sdb is the calendar database.

But storage.sdb doesn't seem to be enough to backup your calendar since copying that file to the linux installation didn't import my calendars. Any other files needed?
GrailKnight

Post by GrailKnight »

djst wrote:
GrailKnight wrote:storage.sdb is the calendar database.

But storage.sdb doesn't seem to be enough to backup your calendar since copying that file to the linux installation didn't import my calendars. Any other files needed?

You could try copying the whole extension folder plus storage.sdb.

Here is the info page for all things Lightening.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact". - Sherlock Holmes
mvl

Post by mvl »

djst wrote:But storage.sdb doesn't seem to be enough to backup your calendar since copying that file to the linux installation didn't import my calendars. Any other files needed?

That's likely because lightning doesn't work on linux. Or did you solve the problems you saw? The errors indicate that the components can't be loaded, so nothing works.
mvl

Post by mvl »

GrailKnight wrote:You could try copying the whole extension folder plus storage.sdb.

That won't work, because lighning uses components written in C++. Those components are compiled for a specific platform. Copying from windows to linux won't work at all.