Bon Echo (Fx2) List Extentions that work by modding maxver

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Matt A. Tobin

Bon Echo (Fx2) List Extentions that work by modding maxver

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

Well I think for us earlybirds or should i say earlyfoxs that have Bon Echo or Ocho or w/e should make a list of extentions that work just dandy in FX2a just by modding the maxver in the install.rdf...

The first one I tried is IE Tab then Forcastfox

NOTE by editing the rdf you can install the extention but it could totaly break your profile....
and as far as i know these here do infact work fully and correctly...

------------------------------------------- LIST OF WORKING
IETab
ForcastFox
Last edited by Matt A. Tobin on March 21st, 2006, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toad King

Post by Toad King »

Generated: Tue Mar 21 2006 21:10:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/1.6a1
Build ID: 2006032106

Enabled Extensions: [45]
- Adblock Plus 0.6.1.2 - Ads were yesterday!
- Add N Edit Cookies 0.2.1.0 - Cookie Editor that allows you add and edit session and saved cookies
- All-In-One Sidebar 0.6.4 - Quickly switch between sidebars, view dialog windows such as downloads, extensions, and more in the sidebar, or view source or websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.
- ChatZilla 0.9.72 - A clean, easy to use and highly extensible Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client.
- ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 - Advanced Eyedropper, ColorPicker, Page Zoomer and other colorful goodies.
- Configuration Mania 1.06.2006013101 - More Advanced (hidden) configures & Chrome Uninstaller
- Console² 0.3.3.3 - The next generation error console.
- CustomizeGoogle 0.44 - Enhance Google search results and remove ads and spam.
- CuteMenus - Crystal SVG 0.9.9.71 - Adds icons to all menu items.
- DOM Inspector 1.9a1 - Inspect the DOM of HTML, XUL, and XML pages, including the browser chrome.
- Download Statusbar 0.9.4 - View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownThemAll! 0.9.8.7 - The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Fasterfox 1.0.3 - Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.
- Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) 1.0 - Create backup of installed extensions
- FireFTP 0.90.1.1 - FTP Client for Mozilla Firefox.
- firefusk 1.2 - images were meant for lookin'
- FOXlinks 0.10.2 - Improves browsing of a site that doesn't exist.
- FoxyTunes 1.2 - Control any media player from Firefox and more...
- FxIF 0.2.2 - View EXIF data in image properties
- GameFOX TK 0.5.2 - Improves browsing of the GameFAQs message boards!
- Google Safe Browsing 1.1 - Warns you about fraudulent web pages.
- Google Toolbar for Firefox 1.0.20051122 - Take the power of Google with you anywhere on the Web!
- Greasemonkey 0.6.4 - A User Script Manager for Firefox
- IE Tab 1.0.8 - Enables you to use the embedded IE engine within Mozilla/Firefox.
- InfoLister 0.9c - Lists installed extensions and themes
- JavaScript Debugger 0.9.85.jw2
- keyconfig 20050908.2 - Rebind your keys.
- Linkification 1.2.3 - Converts text links into genuine, clickable links.
- Live HTTP Headers 0.12 - View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing.
- Mozilla XForms 0.4 - XForms support for Mozilla (Gecko v1.9a1 - 2006030908)
- MR Tech Local Install 4.3.2 - Local Install power tools for all users.
- NoScript 1.1.3.9 - Extra protection for your Firefox:
- OpenDownload 0.2.3 - Allows you to open any file from the internet into the OS assigned program.
- OperaView 0.4.1 - Open pages in Opera from Firefox, Mozilla, Flock and Netscape 8 context menus.
- Rainbowpicker 0.4 - Pick any color of the rainbow!
- Remove It Permanently 1.0.6 - Permanently hide items from the Context Menu
- SiteAdvisor Firefox Extension 20.0 - A SiteAdvisor Firefox Extension for safe searching
- SpellBound Development 0.9.8.20060108 - Adds spell checker support to web forms and extensions.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.602 - Tab browsing with an added boost.
- Talkback 1.6a1 - Submit a crash report to Mozilla.org.
- Text to Image 1.1.1 - Convert text URLs and links to images into thumbnails of the said image.
- UI Tweaker (Formerly Toolbar Cleanup) 1.6.8 - This extension allows you to tweak various aspects of the browser's UI.
- Update Channel Selector 1.0.1 - Allows you to change the application update channel.
- View Background Plus 0.9 - Opens background image of any HTML element.
- Web Developer 1.0.2 - Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.

Disabled Extensions: [1]
- Html Validator 0.7.9 - Adds HTML validation to the View Page Source of the browser. The validation is done by Tidy from W3c.

Total Extensions: 46

All of the following work fine, except for the Html Validator, which just leaks memory like crazy for some reason.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060617 Firefox/1.5.0.4 - Build ID: 2006061719
Matt A. Tobin

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

those work in Bon Echo? Firefox 2 alpha 1 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1

???????
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

You're probably better served just listing what extensions are broken. I would think that list would much smaller. And probably more helpful to extension developers as well. Mainly it will be bookmark/history and maybe sidebar related extensions like Sage and Bookmarks Sychronizer are broken as far as I know so far.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

ya, most extensions that i have run across work just fine by bumping the maxversion, its very rare to find one that doesnt. on the other hand, pretty much all themes will have to be reworked for 2.0.
ckjnigel

some stuff works better!

Post by ckjnigel »

Some stuff works better!
Greasemonkey 0.64 often balked at installing scripts in Ff 1.6a and Evernote WebClipper 1.0.0.42 didn't work at all in 1.6a builds.
There is a later development build of TabMixPlus and that extension's developer seems dedicated to ensuring it works -- the crash recovery option is indispensable in testing this fox. But, Sakura's Tab Browser Extensions is most definitely broken.
There is also an alternative theme, QuBranch, that you'll find links to in its own thread around here.
jofta

Post by jofta »

Sage is the only that doesn't work one from my list of 37 extensions
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1 ID:2006032102
Matt A. Tobin

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

very cool :)
but alas the more work that goes into bonecho the more broken extentions there will be buty hey all the good ones are maintainedand some seem like the are updated almost daily :)
DNAtsol

Post by DNAtsol »

not to sound like an idiot but where do I locate install.rdf??
"Canadians are generally indistinguishable from Americans and the surest way of telling the two apart is to make this observation to a Canadian." -- Richard Starnes
DNAtsol

Post by DNAtsol »

Nevermind. I found them :)
"Canadians are generally indistinguishable from Americans and the surest way of telling the two apart is to make this observation to a Canadian." -- Richard Starnes
kermalou

Post by kermalou »

i am a total newb to this stuff, which install.rdf file and how do i chance the maxversion?

thanks, shawn
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

kermalou wrote:i am a total newb to this stuff, which install.rdf file and how do i chance the maxversion?

thanks, shawn

Download the extension - Right-click: Save link as...
Open the XPI file with WinZip or WinRAR or whatever zip editor you use...
You will see several files, you want: install.rdf
Open install.rdf with 'NotePad'
Look for a line that looks like:
<em:maxVersion>1.0</em:maxVersion>

The 1.0 in this case was version 1.0 of Firefox. You will want to edit that line by changing the value, most likly you will see something like: 1.5.0.*

Change it to 2.1 and use File Save
Close out of Winzip, you will prompted to save the changes.. click OK...

Now you should be able to install the extension, drag and drop the xpi into the Extension Manager Window.

BE WARNED: This may or may not work for all extensions you use.!
Matt A. Tobin

Post by Matt A. Tobin »

and it may totaly break your profile too so become aquanted to 'firefox.exe -profilemanager'

btw when i use notepad the formating is all messed up i have to use wordpad...
TeamOverload

Post by TeamOverload »

How did you get this method to work. it allowed me to install the extension, but i still get an error when booting Bon Echo, that says The Following Extenstions are not compatible with this version of Firefox, and the one I edited is one of the ones listed
Fight the evil Microsoft, get Firefox today!
LilAznCultivator

Post by LilAznCultivator »

TabMix doesn't seem to work..

Because I changed teh Max Versiona nd it seems to be working BUT then when I restart it seems as if the Settigns for it Resets.

Also after editing all the options they do not seem to work such as:

When you Right Click on the Tab/TabBar ALL the options appear even after you disable them int eh Options.