MozillaZine

Native widgets (Classic) + kde styles = xsession errors

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Old incognu

Post Posted April 12th, 2006, 2:28 am

I've been having errors show up in the konsole when running SeaMonkey with the Classic theme (or a theme using native widgets) and applying KDE styles to gtk apps. These also show up in .xsession-errors.

Builds tested include official builds of 1.0, 1.1a, and 1.0.1:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060130 SeaMonkey/1.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060409 SeaMonkey/1.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060411 SeaMonkey/1.1a
as well as my own builds. All are gtk2.

These builds are run from a directory in which I have write permissions, although they are not run as root.

The os is Debian stable, with KDE 3.3.2 and QT 3.3.4.

KDE styles used include Plastik, Keramik, .net, Active Heart, and KDE Classic. Window decorations used during the tests were Glow, Plastik, and Keramik.

Tested with fresh profiles and newly extracted builds, no extensions.

While working on my own themes, I traced these to native styles for radio, menulist-dropmarker, and urlbar dropmarker. I don't get the errors using Modern, but putting this in userChrome.css causes the errors to appear even with Modern:

Code: Select all
.radio-spacer-box {
   -moz-appearance: radio !important;
}

.menulist-dropmarker {
   -moz-appearance: menulist-button !important;
}

#urlbar > .autocomplete-history-dropmarker {
   -moz-appearance: menulist-button !important;
}

Sample errors from one test:
(Gecko:13830): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed
(Gecko:13830): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
(Gecko:13830): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_bits_per_sample: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
(Gecko:13830): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
(Gecko:13830): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `pixbuf!= NULL' failed
(Gecko:13830): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
(Gecko:13830): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(Gecko:13830): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_from_drawable: assertion `gdk_window_is_viewable (src)' failed
This is repeated; I'm only giving a snippet. There are no other types of errors in the konsole.

I haven't noticed any instability or visual bugs that I can tie in with this (although some weird things happen with scrollbars when applying kde styles to native scrollbars). The builds run fine; were it not for the errors in the konsole, I wouldn't have noticed this.

Nor have I found any bugs directly relating to this in Bugzilla. 317208 discusses similar errors, and crashing, at a website.

However, I found some discussion here, regarding FX and TB, sometimes involving failure to start:
forum link 1
forum link 2
forum link 3
forum link 4
forum link 5 (in which "guest" suggests that his/her problem disappeared after replacing gtk-qt-engine 0.6.1 with gtkgtengine 0.5-2)
and forum link 6 (in which robw810 suggests a permissions issue was involved in FX not starting.)

I found some discussion of this issue with FX at linuxquestions.org and dslreports.

Can others duplicate this with SM? And how serious a problem is it?

Joe1962

Post Posted April 14th, 2006, 3:56 pm

Well, I found some confirmation that gtk-qt engine is broken, in the pgadminIII FAQ:

Crash on Linux: Qpixmap: Invalid pixmap parameters

When running on a machine with gtk-qt-engine installed, pgAdmin III will crash with a segmentation fault. A console will print "QPixmap: Invalid pixmap parameters".
This is caused by a broken gtk-qt-engine; not only pgAdmin III suffers from this.
To fix, remove the broken gtk-qt-engine or install a fixed version if available.

Old incognu

Post Posted April 14th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Thanks, Joe1962. Looks like more of an issue with the gtk-qt engine than with SeaMonkey.

I tested with a few other gtk apps. Got the same sort of thing with Mozilla 1.7.12, Galeon ... even an old copy of Firebird 0.7 I have lying around.

Joe1962

Post Posted April 15th, 2006, 12:50 pm

As there is no release of gtk-qt-engine beyond 0.6, I decided to build the latest cvs source. This adds the following new option:
Firefox and Thunderbird
Scrollbar buttons may sometimes be displayed incorrectly in Firefox and Thunderbird. This can be fixed by installing some files into your Mozilla profile.
Then a button: "Install scrollbar fix...".

I decided to go ahead and try it and it said it had done something in my Mozilla profile. I checked there and as far as I can tell for now, it added the following in userChrome.css and userContent.css in the Firefox default profile (yes, this distro comes with Firefox, so the profile was there, though i don't use it, lol.):
# The following four lines were added by KDE
scrollbarbutton[sbattr="scrollbar-up-top"] { display: -moz-box !important; }
scrollbarbutton[sbattr="scrollbar-down-top"] { display: none !important; }
scrollbarbutton[sbattr="scrollbar-up-bottom"] { display: none !important; }
scrollbarbutton[sbattr="scrollbar-down-bottom"] { display: -moz-box !important; }

I can't test this for sure, as most scrollbars where misteriously working after a lot of theme changing and qt updates and downgrades I was doing recently, but I hope it helps.

Old incognu

Post Posted April 15th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. Looks like it addresses the problem of the thumb sliding over the up-bottom scrollbarbuttons, but in a different way: by eliminating those scrollbarbuttons. I had been using a bit different approach in an attempt to make it work.

But that further indicates that the problems with scrollbars as well as the errors in konsole were caused by a faulty gtk-qt engine, which has problems correctly rendering some native widgets.

Joe1962

Post Posted April 15th, 2006, 4:12 pm

On further study, I notice that this cvs version fixes the missing scrollbar down-arrow in other apps, like xchat (it would dissappear on reducing the height of the window beyond a certain point.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.

Return to SeaMonkey Bugs