Firefox copy/paste issue

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
dax702

Firefox copy/paste issue

Post by dax702 »

So I've done every possible thing I can think of and then some to get this cut/copy/paste issue resolved and NOTHING works. A bug like this can definitely be the end of the line for Firefox. Because of this, I'm not forced to abandon the browser entirely and go to another provider. Never knew how valuable copy and paste were until they were gone for good... If anyone out there has a workable solution to this, PLEASE let me know as I've spent ALL DAY trying to fix it...
Last edited by dax702 on April 15th, 2006, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost User 168225

Post by Lost User 168225 »

what exactly are the steps you are doing?
thefoxx

Post by thefoxx »

What dax702 is refering to is not the usual Copy/Paste Bug that's been going in for years (the one where copy/paste doesn't work sometimes and then works again), but a new one after the 1.5.0.2 upgrade. For some users (including me) the copy functions is not working at all. Crtl-C, right click menu or Edit-Menu - no copy command has any effect on the clipboard (but they are not grey). Same for "Copy Link Location". You can still paste from other applications.

I tried downgrading to 1.5.0.1 and upgrading to 2.0a but the problem persists. And of course I checked for new.net and haven't installed any new software except FireFox 1.5.0.2.

I can understand dax702, this thing drives you nuts. Help, please!
Paraclipse

Post by Paraclipse »

Copy/Paste Bug has also has been an issue here for a few days and I have finally had enough of this very frequently used facility.

My solution is now to complete remove the FireFox application, perhaps may look into it again in the future.
thefoxx

Post by thefoxx »

The strange thing is that I've never had this regular Copy/Past Bug. Everything was always working perfect. But now nothing works at all.
dlogic

Post by dlogic »

even i cant cut copy ............but i can paste if i have copied something from outside of firefox. i cant even drag and drop images
i have created a similar thread here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=405181
dax702

Post by dax702 »

thefoxx, sounds like we have the identical problem indeed... If this bug should "spread," it really could mean the end of the adoption of this browser. I do believe it's that serious of a problem because the cut/copy/paste thing, well, we take it for granted and then when it's gone it frustrates the hell out of us (at least me?)

I think the programmers should make this bug priority #1 as I've already made the dreaded switch back to Internet Explorer (never thought I'd say that).. I even tried deleting all traces of firefox, I installed that Minefield 3.0 build, same thing..I simply cannot get the clipboard functions back...I did notice that this happened immediately after upgrading to 1.5.0.2, but like everyone else, I took it out completely, put the old one back in, nada.

I've run 4 diff spyware programs, registry cleaners, antivirus, repaired any winsock issues... nothing works to fix this bug =(
thefoxx

Post by thefoxx »

dax702, same thing here. I tried everything you tried and now I have to use IE for copy (IE View Plugin). It sucks.
dax702

Post by dax702 »

Well I fixed it (at least for now anyways)
How I did it, I'm not sure, but I did uninstall the recent windows updates that were installed in the last few days.
I also got this Ashampoo WinOptimizer program and ran all it's various features, including deleting a lot of DLL files...whatever I did, it worked...We'll see for how long though I guess!
nudda

Post by nudda »

not fixed for me ... having to go back to IE ... very upset !!!!!
camarosource

Post by camarosource »

I am having the EXACT same problem!!

It's as if the COPY function won't CAPTURE anyone that you attempt to COPY when in a Firefox window.
I can copy something anywhere OTHER than a firefox window and can Paste that into firefox. HOWEVER, if I copy anything from FIREFOX, and paste. The text that pastes into firefox is what I copied from SOMETHING ELSE rather than firefox's window.

Example:

Internet Explorer: Copy "TEXT1"
Internet Explorer: Paste: = TEXT1

FireFox: Copy "TEXT2"
Firefox: Paste : "TEXT1" (Text2 was not copied.. Text1 from IE from saved..)
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

This perennial copy/paste bug was _supposed_ to have been stamped out here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133439

If one reads carefully they will see that the bugfix is not yet on the MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH, but is on the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH. Ergo, Firefox 1.5, 1.5.0.1 and 1.5.0.2 DO NOT HAVE THIS BUGFIX!!!

Instead of moaning and hollering about it, you should send reasoned and concise e-mails to the Mozilla developers requesting that the patch be taken for the MOZILLA_1_8_0_BRANCH, thus allowing the fix to show up in Firefox 1.5.0.3, when that is released. Don't comment in the above bug, as that will NOT get it included.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
thefoxx

Post by thefoxx »

I said it before and I say it again. The is a complete NEW Copy/Paste Bug and has NOTHING to do with the old bug, because it effects Win and Mac und is permanent.
camarosource

Post by camarosource »

thefoxx wrote:The strange thing is that I've never had this regular Copy/Past Bug. Everything was always working perfect. But now nothing works at all.

Exactly! I've been using Firefox for at least years and I've NEVER had this.. This suddenly started up around 3 days ago and I've made absolutely no changes..
roxiegin

copy paste issue

Post by roxiegin »

everyone is having the same prob it started with the upgrade to 1.5.0.2 now nothing works you also can't customize your toolbar . these worked fine before and I have NEVER had any issues with mozilla or firefox before.