[Ext] IMDb Preview 0.6.3 [2010-04-30]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Geva Zeichner

[Ext] IMDb Preview 0.6.3 [2010-04-30]

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Author: Geva Zeichner
Description: Preview movie & actor posters when hovering over their IMDb links. Also integrates MyMovies to the movie page.
First release: 2006-04-22
Latest release: 2010-04-30

Preview:

About:
The extension is useful if you too sometimes encounter on IMDb (or other sites), a movie title or an actor that you can't recognize by name. Instead of going into its full details page, you can now just stand on the link, and quickly see a preview of the poster right next to your mouse.
  • The movies preview includes: poster, title, rating, number of votes, top 250 rank, cast members, plot.
  • The persons preview includes: poster, name, birth year, birth country, latest movies, mini biography.
  • The fields are shown only if exist.
  • Unwanted fields can be disabled.
  • Clicking the poster hides all the information fields.
  • The preview works from any site, as long as the link points to a valid IMDb page.
  • Preview's show & hide times are changeable.
  • You can determine how many actors/films will be in the preview.
  • Preview's background color is now also changeable.
  • New - MyMovies integrated to IMDb's movie pages.

Links:
Topic version index:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version: 0.1a
Size: 3KB
Date: 2006-04-22
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.2
Compatibility: Firefox 1.5 - 1.5.0.*

Install v0.1a

Description:
Hi, this is my 2nd extension. :)
It previews IMDb posters of movie titles, when you hover over a link that leads to an IMDb title page.
The idea is that when you are viewing long lists (search results, "my movies") of movies on the IMDb site, you don't always recognize the movie by its title. You usually go into that page to see the poster to help you recognize the movie. So, instead of entering each one you can now preview the poster.
That's the basic and main idea why I needed the extension. But I'll probably add more information to the preview (ratings, plot, etc), for those of you (incl. my brother) who will appreciate viewing such info, when browsing other sites who link to a movie on IMDb.

Release Notes:
I wanted to see what do u think about the idea, while I'm fine tuning things for a 0.1 release. Please note that this is only an alpha release. It's not "pretty" yet, it just do what it says it does, everything is still hard coded. Consider it proof of concept.
Please post what do u think about it. Feel free to suggest things for v0.1, even if I'm probably already working on them.

Thank you.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on October 2nd, 2014, 3:28 pm, edited 69 times in total.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
Hide Tab Bar 1.0dev.2 | IMDb Preview 0.6.2 | Gmail RTL 0.1.1
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.1

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.1
Size: 4.6KB
Date: 2006-04-29
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.2

<a href="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/imdb_preview/imdb_preview-0.1-fx.xpi">Install v0.1</a>

Main Changes:
  • Added prefs window
  • Added loading indicator
  • Preview only shows when on the link
  • Preview is positiond relative to page/mouse
Known Issues:
  • Loading indicator doesn't show with some themes. No problem with default theme.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on May 5th, 2006, 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gilad Shalit is Free! Was held captive by terrorists since June 2006 for 1941 days. Was only 19 y/o when kidnapped.

My Extensions:
slyfox

Post by slyfox »

Good job for second extension!
May the source be with you

[EXT] Splash Screen - 1.2 (100%), 2.0 (10%)

[EXT] Slyfox - The Firefox logger - alpha (3%)
DoctorMaligno

Post by DoctorMaligno »

Hi, as a huge movie fan, and also a big IMDb fan, i have to congratulate you for such a great idea. That's pretty useful.

Otherwise there's a little bug i found. I use to access IMDb website from spanish.imdb.com or akas.imdb.com, cause there you can also find the international titles for the movie. The problem is that your extension is not working with those websites. Sadly :(

Hope to help. I guess this is not a very difficult thing to fix, isn't it?

Thanks for this great extension,
bye
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.2

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.2
Size: 13.3KB
Date: 2006-05-07
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.3

<a href="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/imdb_preview/imdb_preview-0.2-fx.xpi">Install v0.2</a>

Added:
  • You can now also preview actors and other movie personal.
  • Shows "Poster Not Submitted" when poster isn't availible.
  • Shows "404" when target is N/A.
  • Pref window tooltip.
Changed:
  • Debug dumps are now optional and false by default.
  • Default halt time decreased to 200ms.
Bugfixes:
  • Moving to another page while a preview is shown caused the extension to fail.
  • Loading indicator will show regardless of theme.
  • All IMDb subdomains are now valid. (Noticed by DoctorMaligno, tnx)
  • Links not ending with "/" are now also valid.
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on May 22nd, 2006, 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Extensions:
iBoRDarU

Post by iBoRDarU »

Great initiative!

But I'll probebly add more information to the preview (ratings, plot, etc), for those of you (and my brother) who will appreciate viewing such info, when browsing other sites who link to a movie on IMDb.

That would be fantastic.
Silent Wolf

Post by Silent Wolf »

thanks.
I can't download the 0.2 version of this extension... why?
it doesn't seem to work for all links... (in example for the links in the central page of imdb.com)
iBoRDarU

Post by iBoRDarU »

@Geva Zeichner could you upload v0.2 somewhere else maybe? Perhaps Rapidshare or megaupload.
Bazikcho

Post by Bazikcho »

yes i want 0.2 version to ....
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Silent Wolf wrote:thanks.
I can't download the 0.2 version of this extension... why?

Hi, v0.2 is availible now. It wasn't before because it was pending for approval by UMO.
Silent Wolf wrote:it doesn't seem to work for all links... (in example for the links in the central page of imdb.com)

Yes, I've notinced it too. It happens only on the main page of IMDb, and only for some specific ones on that page. I couldn't find what differentiate them from the others that would cause it. I'll appreciate it if you could help me with that.

@iBoRDarU
I've linked to UMO because I wanted the downloads from here, would also be counted on UMO. Next time I'll post the release post, only after it's availible on UMO, so you won't have to wait.

My Extensions:
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.2.1

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.2.1
Size: 14KB
Date: 2006-05-25
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.3

<a href="http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/imdbpreview/IMDb_Preview_0.2.1.xpi?download">Install v0.2.1</a>

Changes:
25/05: Added change log to xpi.
25/05: Decreased default halt to 100ms.
25/05: Added time stats. Dumped to console. (for comparison with the upcoming v0.3)

P.S.
I've linked to my server. Got tired of waiting for UMO to aproove it... I'm almost finished with 0.3 and UMO still didn't aproove 0.2.1!
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on July 2nd, 2006, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Extensions:
Geva Zeichner

IMDb Preview 0.3

Post by Geva Zeichner »

Version: 0.3
Size: 22.4KB
Date: 2006-06-04
Tested On: Firefox 1.5.0.4

<a href="http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/imdb_preview/imdb_preview-0.3-fx.xpi">Install v0.3</a>

Changes:
04/06: error_404.png got bigger.
04/06: Poster timeouts after 3000ms. Changeable.
03/06: Improved check html.
03/06: Will load only jpg/gif/png posters.
03/06: Added a new "unknown error" icon. Hopes not to use it ;)
03/06: Preview will not terminate when hovering over it.
03/06: Poster doesn't "jump" anymore when mouse isn't in the upper-left screen
03/06: Added a nice background to loading indicator
03/06: Added detailed tooltips to options window.
03/06: Can disable movie and/or actor links with -1.
03/06: Can control movie and actor delays separately.
03/06: Last load time stats are availible from the options win too.
03/06: Can control "check html" from the options win.
29/05: Dumps more times allowing you to compare speed performances.
29/05: Check html - Loads only the html it needs. Saves some loading time. (saved me up to 50%)
27/05: The extension now has its own icon. :-)

Known Issues:
  • Previews doesn't appear ontop of the new trailers flash IMDb put on their main page. (if you use adblock, you can block that flash)
  • Preview doesn't work properly on Amazon.com and Google's results. (tell me if u need it fixed)
Last edited by Geva Zeichner on June 11th, 2006, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Extensions:
iBoRDarU

Post by iBoRDarU »

Wow, loading time is indeed much faster.
extensionbob

One bug though..

Post by extensionbob »

BUG :

The 'loading' icon (which was a rotating circle in the earlier version) doesn't load for me.. I get no image now in place of the rotating circle, :(..

SUGGESTIONS :

1. Also, for the extension icon - won't the current imdb icon with the word 'preview' below it, be a better icon? and if there are copyright issues, how about "iprev" instead of "ipre"..? Cos' "ipre" doesnt convey anything..

2. Could you offer a spruced up version with more features - as in, for movies, it could show atleast the rating and rank of the movie.. Cos' I think most users see the rating and rank.. and maybe even any awards it's got.. and maybe for actors, include a really short abstract of their bio? I know it's a little work but it would be really cool to see, for example, the rating and rank of a movie beside the poster..

COMMENTS :

And yeah, great work on improving the loading time..
Geva Zeichner

Post by Geva Zeichner »

extensionbob wrote:BUG :

The 'loading' icon (which was a rotating circle in the earlier version) doesn't load for me.. I get no image now in place of the rotating circle, :(..

SUGGESTIONS :

1. Also, for the extension icon - won't the current imdb icon with the word 'preview' below it, be a better icon? and if there are copyright issues, how about "iprev" instead of "ipre"..? Cos' "ipre" doesnt convey anything..

2. Could you offer a spruced up version with more features - as in, for movies, it could show atleast the rating and rank of the movie.. Cos' I think most users see the rating and rank.. and maybe even any awards it's got.. and maybe for actors, include a really short abstract of their bio? I know it's a little work but it would be really cool to see, for example, the rating and rank of a movie beside the poster..

COMMENTS :

And yeah, great work on improving the loading time..
About the bug: from which version did you upgrade? does reinstalling helps? does completely unistalling, and only then reinstalling, helps?

1st sug: I agree, I'll try to find something else. (How about IMP?)
2ns sug: Adding ratings could be very nice indeed, and shouldn't increase the loading time too much (because it's physically close to the poster). Rankings will probebly not be added as it's a PRO feature... (most ppl don't have access to imdb-pro i think. am i right?)

comm: thanks :)

My Extensions: