MozillaZine

MR Tech's Link Wrapper Lite 2.2.1 Released

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

Post Posted May 10th, 2006, 3:55 pm

MR Tech's Link Wrapper Lite 2.2.1

Homepage: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/
UMO Download: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2547/
Main Download: http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/link_wrapper_lite.xpi
Test Page: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/link_wrapper.html
Supported: Firefox 1.0-3.0, Netscape 8.1, Flock, Seamonkey & Mozilla Suite
E-Mail: mrtech [at] gmail.com

Wraps long links to spare you from having to scroll left and right. This is basically a very modded and severely hacked version of the bookmarklet code that's out there.

This is the same build as Link Wrapper 1.3, Link Wrapper 2.0 introducing statusbar, options dialogs and all the bells and whistles, this version just does it's job and shuts up.

To test Link Wrapper visit this page before and then after install the extension:
http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/link_wrapper.html

If Link Wrapper doesn't appear to work for you can:
- for faster computers disable the character check by setting the "link_wrapper.charLimitEnabled" preference to false.
- or bump the limit amount "link_wrapper.charLimit" preference to something higher than 15000

Note: Link Wrapper will force Linkification to only highlight part of a text link, version 1.2.2 of Linkification adds a "Thorough Mode" which is disabled by default that will resolve this, or you can just double-click on the unhighlighted text on the right of the text from a link to have it open properly.

Hidden preferences:
<li> length to wrap: link_wrapper.wrapLength, default value is "15"
<li> Sites to ignore: link_wrapper.ignoreList, default regex value is "mail.google.com|mail.yahoo.com|hushmail.com"
<li> html tags to ignore: link_wrapper.ignoreTags, default regex value includes tons of tags
<li> Enable page character limit to improve performance on large pages: link_wrapper.charLimitEnabled, default value is true
<li> If enabled use this character limit: link_wrapper.charLimit, default value is 15000

2.1 Release Notes:
<li> Added: "blog.myspace.com" & "webmail.aol.com" have been added to the exclude list of domains (please reset preference to default for future updates)
<li> Updated: "mail.google.com" is now "google.com" as Google appears to handle long lines/links well on their own
<li> Updated: Character limit checking is now disabled by default, if you experience performance problems on older computers, re-enable this
<li> Updated: Bumped Netscape version support to 8.1.2, bumped SeaMonkey version support to 1.5a

2.0 Release Notes:
<li> Updated: Link Wrapper Lite is the trimmed down original version of Link Wrapper 1.3, Link Wrapper 2.0 adds more customization and options.
<li> Updated: Increased character limit setting to 30000.
Last edited by mrtech on June 18th, 2008, 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

Omar456C

Post Posted May 11th, 2006, 2:14 pm

I'm using Netscape 8.1
After installing the extension I'm having problems.
There's a message under the status bar (and it's taking a lot of space)
Now there's no way the extensions window opens in order to uninstall it.
When I go Tools/extensions options/mr tech link wraper 2.0 a yellow backgrounded window pops up, which reads:
(in bold black letters) XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line number 30, column 3:

(in smaller red letters) <comment id="link_wrapperPrefHolder" prefRoot="&link_wrapper.prefRoot;"/>
--^
I have the screen image, but don't know how to attach it to this message or an address to send it to you.
How can I solve this problem?
Last edited by Omar456C on May 11th, 2006, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrtech

Post Posted May 11th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Omar456C wrote:After installing the extension I'm having problems.
There's a message under the status bar (and it's taking a lot of space)
Now there's no way the extensions window opens in order to uninstall it.
When I go Tools/extensions options/mr tech link wraper 2.0 a yellow backgrounded window pops up, which reads:
(in bold black letters) XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line number 30, column 3:

(in smaller red letters) <comment id="link_wrapperPrefHolder" prefRoot="&link_wrapper.prefRoot;"/>
--^
I have the screen image, but don't know how to attach it to this message.
How can I solve this problem?

yes, I'm sorry I fixed that with the "Link Wrapper" build for 1.0-1.5 builds, I will have a newer version available hopefully tonight on UMO, thanks.

Link Wrapper Lite should work for you in the interim.

mrtech

Post Posted May 11th, 2006, 7:49 pm

I've just poste the update on my site, just click here for more information, if you are using the lite version please uninstall that one and install the regular one, thanks.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 16#2259316

Omar456C

Post Posted May 12th, 2006, 6:36 am

I have the regular extension installed.
There's no way I can uninstall ANY extension because the extensions managing window does not open.
Should I just uninstall the browser application AND START IT ALL OVER AGAIN? (Please, don't say YES!)
Again, I'm using Netscape 8.1

Thank you

mrtech

Post Posted May 12th, 2006, 8:48 am

Omar456C wrote:I have the regular extension installed.
There's no way I can uninstall ANY extension because the extensions managing window does not open.
Should I just uninstall the browser application AND START IT ALL OVER AGAIN? (Please, don't say YES!)

Thank you

Try updating to the newer version found here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=343106
http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/link_wrapper.xpi

I think it might be an issue with Local Install, do you have that installed? I should have a fix tonight that causes the extension manager not to open in Netscape, thanks.

XerBlade

Post Posted May 12th, 2006, 10:59 am

Omar456C wrote:I have the regular extension installed.

Thank you

Uninstalling the browser wouldn't fix it anyway, nor would it force you to start all over again. With Netscape 8.1 this is especially more obvious than would be to a relatively new Firefox user.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps

fedoracore

Post Posted October 4th, 2006, 11:20 am

hey-- installed this extension on Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060913 Fedora/1.5.0.7-1.fc5 Firefox/1.5.0.7 pango-text - Build ID: 0000000000, and it's not working-- in fact i think it's caused problems, as others have reported here.

Failure recognized so far:
  • Bookmarks: Available, and 'clickable', but no action-- as if nothing was clicked, or a "blank" bookmark is clicked.
  • NoScript: only "About", and "Options" are listed in the context menu (no choice of URL's to un-block)
-- i didn't try anything else-- only noticed the noscript cause of the MrTech site.

so-- do you have a recommendation for Firefox-Linux users? thanks!

edit: oh, and i noticed no "wrapping" of any kind-- but maybe i don't know what a wrapped link looks like. ;)

mrtech

Post Posted November 8th, 2006, 9:32 am

2.1 is now available on my site: http://www.mrtech.com/msgboard/link_wrapper_lite.xpi

2.1 Release Notes:
<li> Added: cs-CZ, fi-FI, nl-NL, pt-PT, sk-SK & zh-TW locale translations
<li> Added: "blog.myspace.com" & "webmail.aol.com" have been added to the exclude list of domains (please reset preference to default for future updates)
<li> Updated: "mail.google.com" is now "google.com" as Google appears to handle long lines/links well on their own
<li> Updated: Character limit checking is now disabled by default, if you experience performance problems on older computers, re-enable this
<li> Updated: Bumped Netscape version support to 8.1.2, bumped SeaMonkey version support to 1.5a

UncleFu86

Post Posted December 16th, 2006, 3:14 pm

If it is ok, I'd just like to ask, if with this extension also the URLs in the addressbar are wrapped??
This is the only part, where I would like to use it for, otherwise, it doesn't bother me.

mrtech

Post Posted December 16th, 2006, 7:17 pm

UncleFu86 wrote:If it is ok, I'd just like to ask, if with this extension also the URLs in the addressbar are wrapped??
This is the only part, where I would like to use it for, otherwise, it doesn't bother me.

unfortunately no, just long links and long joined characters are split. the address bar remains the same.

nettrotter

Post Posted March 6th, 2008, 8:16 am

incompatible with firefox 3.0 beta 4. Do you have the idea of update?

mrtech

Post Posted March 6th, 2008, 8:41 am

there's a bug that I need to fix with 3.0, should be released soon.

Return to Extension Development