MozillaZine

PLEASE TEST 0.8 BUILDS!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
bengoodger

Post Posted December 18th, 2003, 9:33 pm

I expect to have a release candidate by tomorrow PM. Please test the builds in latest-0.8 on the ftp site.

Due to limited testing resources I have disabled trunk Firebird win32 builds for now so we can focus our testing effort on the bits that will ship this month!

alanjstr

Post Posted January 2nd, 2004, 11:06 am

I snipped off the discussion because it went off-topic. Please continue to test the 0.8 branch builds. If you uncover any problems, first check <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?product=Firebird&resolution=---&remember=1&remtype=asnamed&newqueryname=F+Open&tofooter=1">the list of open bugs</a> (more than 1000). Only critical bugs will targetted for the milestone. That does not mean your favorite bug will never be resolved, just not right now.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

joeg

Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Post Posted January 3rd, 2004, 10:26 am

I've downloaded / installed / uninstalled / re-installed (on my second hard drive in a new folder - that I had created in advance - called "D:/MozillaFirebirdOfficial") the following build:

Index of ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/f ... dSetup.exe (6328 KB - 03.01.04 - 02:59:00).

I did not make a new profile.

I'm running the extensions Adblock, mozex, things they left out, text/edit, chrome edit, and - most important - smooth wheel. The scrolling problem I had yesterday w/ in Mr. Ebrahim's build hasn't appeared. Hmmm.

I've also copied and pasted my plug-ins (Java, Real Player, Quicktime, Flash, and M$ Medialplayer 6.4); they all work.

Guess what! Everything works fine on my machine
\:D/

I know Ben and the gang have taken some s--t so far in the run-up to 0.8, but at least from where I'm sitting (in the north central part of Berlin, but w/o any cats on my desk at the moment) it looks like this one's good. I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers 0.8+ soon.

Good job folks, and thanks.

Joe
Although every day is Judgment Day, I nonetheless feel like a room without a roof.

bla

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 2:35 am

I download the latest 0.8 with the date, 02-Jan-2004 21:59. When installing it says: You are about to install Mozilla Firebird 0.7.". Shouldn't it say 0.8?

Edit: I had Mozilla (not Mozilla Firebird) open when installing Firebird. The setup showed a warning that Mozilla Firebird was open and would be closed. Clicked OK and Mozilla windows were closed. Opened again Mozilla and it warned the profile was already in use. I guess that the installer didn't really closed the Mozilla process... Well and it shouldn't in the first place, close any Mozilla windows and process, as Mozilla ins't Firebird.

Zip builds, please come back....

johnleemk

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 3:59 am

It's still technically 0.7+, so the 0.7 is correct, for now.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+

bekkra

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 8:05 am

I installed with the installer but with too much care.... into an empty directory and with no previous profile. The installation went without surprises; however:

1) The installer placed an icon on my desktop without asking me
2) A program group was created in the "All users" folder without my permission - I feel that software I install should be for me, not for everyone else; and an installation by me should of course not affect any other user on the computer....
3) The icon of the executable is still the "old" fireplace :D Shouldn't it be the new globe with the F ?

On to

A) Test
B) Install over a previous version
C) Test plug-ins
D) Check the bug list as advised

//

michaell522

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 8:10 am

bekkra wrote:I installed with the installer but with too much care.... into an empty directory and with no previous profile. The installation went without surprises; however:

There's a bug filed for that (at least there is for Mozilla)
2) A program group was created in the "All users" folder without my permission - I feel that software I install should be for me, not for everyone else; and an installation by me should of course not affect any other user on the computer....

Again, would be nice to have an option. I think there may be a bug for that as well (again, relating to Mozilla)
3) The icon of the executable is still the "old" fireplace :D Shouldn't it be the new globe with the F ?

No, the "new" icon isn't going to be used - there's going to be another new icon instead. Because of that, they changed back to the old icon for 0.8, so that users of releases won't see 2 changes of icon.

alanjstr

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 8:23 am

bekkra wrote:I installed with the installer but with too much care.... into an empty directory and with no previous profile. The installation went without surprises; however:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225641
bekkra wrote:2) A program group was created in the "All users" folder without my permission - I feel that software I install should be for me, not for everyone else; and an installation by me should of course not affect any other user on the computer....

They can access it anyways, so why not create shortcuts for them?

michaell522

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 8:37 am

alanjstr wrote:
bekkra wrote:2) A program group was created in the "All users" folder without my permission - I feel that software I install should be for me, not for everyone else; and an installation by me should of course not affect any other user on the computer....

They can access it anyways, so why not create shortcuts for them?

They can access it assuming things are set up with defaults. If you choose to install it somewhere that's not accessible to all users on the machine, or some users on the machine don't have permission to access everything under "program files", then they'll get icons that won't work.

And just because they can access it, doesn't necessarily mean they want to either. If one has to make an assumption one way or the other, creating the icons for all users is probably best (when the user doing the installation has access to do that). But it's still an assumption that will be wrong in some cases - some installers offer an option.

alanjstr

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 8:43 am

True, for a default installation then it is ok. A custom installation should ask if this is for "me only". File a bug, post the number here, and I'll confirm it.

michaell522

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 9:03 am

alanjstr wrote:True, for a default installation then it is ok. A custom installation should ask if this is for "me only". File a bug, post the number here, and I'll confirm it.

I would have thought it was covered by bug 225641 and bug 28174 already. Maybe a comment could be added to bug 225641, which doesn't have any detail at the moment. In terms of options for icon choices, it's not the priority...

bekkra

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 9:13 am

alanjstr wrote:True, for a default installation then it is ok. A custom installation should ask if this is for "me only". File a bug, post the number here, and I'll confirm it.
I think this should be done within the scope of http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225641 ( as referred to above ). As the bug says, Firebird should ask where to put icons; what we are discussing here is a further modifier of the behavior or the priority set.

sdiver7

Post Posted January 4th, 2004, 6:25 pm

I have just downloaded it and have re-applied the add-in/plug-ins (such as Flash, etc) and have had no problems. I have attempted to peruse the Comcast website (notorious for bloated imagery) as well as some university websites. All appears/seems to be working very similiar to the previous version. I cannot say that it is faster or cleaner than the older version. However, please keep up the good work. It is a truly "smokin" application.
Chris Smith

Christopher

Post Posted January 5th, 2004, 2:44 am

Sure i want to try it out. If there was branch builds for MacOS X;)

jarmoni

Post Posted January 6th, 2004, 4:26 am

I'm testing the newest build, previously I was using the 0.7 milestone.

It's faster!!! ;-)

Return to Firefox Builds