MozillaZine

Bookmarks Synchronizer (FTP)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Torisugari
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:34 pm
Location: Kyoto, Nippon (GMT +9)

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 3:10 am

Bookmarks Synchronzier For Firefox 1.0PR
http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/addo ... 0_9_10.xpi

Mozilla Links - English Edition Issue # 14 - March 2, 2004 wrote:Bookmarks Synchronizer is a Mozilla Firefox extension that let you connect to an FTP server and synchronize your bookmarks that are stored in an XML file. Setup is easy; just write in your FTP server address, username, password and a name for the XML file (by default called xbel.xml). To start, press Upload to create the file on the server and set if you want to automatically download the file on startup or upload it when you close your browser.


Links
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=25480
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=30840
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=40859
Last edited by Torisugari on September 23rd, 2004, 3:29 am, edited 10 times in total.

nexx

User avatar
 
Posts: 736
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:23 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 3:53 am

cool idea!

i dont need it but im sure somebody will :D
<a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/nexx1/oxpmenu/" title="Office XP Menus">Office XP Menus</a> || <a href="http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/firefox-unofficial-branding.php"> Unofficial Firefox Branding</a>

Torisugari
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:34 pm
Location: Kyoto, Nippon (GMT +9)

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 3:59 am

nexx wrote:i dont need it but im sure somebody will :D

No, I don't, either. Though I often come across such a thread. Above three are some of those I've ever posted.

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 7:30 am

1) WAY SWEET. This is basically exactly what I was looking for.
2) I seem to have noticed a bug. I closed the last FBird window but the small dialog saying "uploading" wouldn't go away.

I'm still playing around with it, more to report shortly... :o)

mai9

User avatar
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: January 15th, 2003, 3:41 pm
Location: Barcelona

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 10:40 am

if I could disable some folders when uploading... :roll:

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 11:40 am

Of course since today is Saturday I am at home and won't be back to work until Monday, so I won't be able to test the roaming part of this. I did confirm that my bookmarks file was uploaded to my ftp site successfully, and that Fbird looks like it is uploading/downloading successfully though, so I am fairly sure that this is going to work as desired. One thing that just occurred to me though is that at my work we have firewalls blocking (MOST) FTP. Any thoughts on ways that could be gotten around? Do some form of http encapsulation or something?

bdeonline
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 5:19 am
Location: OK, USA

Post Posted December 20th, 2003, 4:55 pm

This sounds great sometimes I use 3 different computers in the course of a day. And to keep my bookmarks the same has been a challenge. This extention seems to be just what I have been waiting for.

Torisugari
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:34 pm
Location: Kyoto, Nippon (GMT +9)

Post Posted December 21st, 2003, 3:20 am

jreyst wrote:2) I seem to have noticed a bug. I closed the last FBird window but the small dialog saying "uploading" wouldn't go away.

Is this bug still reproducible with your machine? Anyway, please update to ver. 0.3.1 which is a bit error-safe.

David H
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: June 13th, 2003, 5:17 am
Location: Japan

Post Posted December 21st, 2003, 7:45 am

This extension looks really good. This is just what I've been needing now that I have FB running on my Linux box. But before I play with it, are there any problems using it when you have your bookmarks.html specified for a different location, such as when you share it between builds? IOW, how does it determine where the file is exactly? Also, could there be any conflicts with Bookmark Backup?

PS: Torisugari, since I doubt that many people here can read Japanese, perhaps you might want to replace your screenshot with an English version?

flatrabbit

User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 6:41 pm
Location: the land of kirk

Post Posted December 21st, 2003, 3:15 pm

This looks really good. I'll be able to test it out more on monday at work. So far it does a good job of uploading the bookmarks.html to my ftp though.
flatrabbit
-- A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
‡ [ home | give | game ] ‡

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted December 21st, 2003, 3:26 pm

I dont have a second PC at home so I had a friend (at his house) install this extension, and then gave him the ftp info of where I put my bookmarks. He said it didnt seem to do anything for him. I know thats very minimal info, but thats all I have now. When I get to work on Monday I'll see if I can test this myself. Unfortunately, I am afraid our firewall may be a big pain in my ass on this one :(

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted December 21st, 2003, 3:27 pm

Torisugari wrote:
jreyst wrote:2) I seem to have noticed a bug. I closed the last FBird window but the small dialog saying "uploading" wouldn't go away.

Is this bug still reproducible with your machine? Anyway, please update to ver. 0.3.1 which is a bit error-safe.

Yes, it happens every time. I have to rt-click on the taskbar button and kill it for it to go away.

Torisugari
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:34 pm
Location: Kyoto, Nippon (GMT +9)

Post Posted December 22nd, 2003, 2:07 am

David H wrote:This extension looks really good. This is just what I've been needing now that I have FB running on my Linux box. But before I play with it, are there any problems using it when you have your bookmarks.html specified for a different location, such as when you share it between builds? IOW, how does it determine where the file is exactly?

Your question is about browser.bookmarks.file, right? Don't worry about it.
David H wrote:Also, could there be any conflicts with Bookmark Backup?

I don't think it conflict with bookmark backup, but this may a little sensitive to the firebird version.

>jreyst
Please try the new version, 0.3.2 or 0.4.

flatrabbit

User avatar
 
Posts: 383
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 6:41 pm
Location: the land of kirk

Post Posted December 22nd, 2003, 9:32 am

well here's an update:

It does log in ok, and it creates the bookmarks.html file. But it seems to have a hard time uploading the file. I'm trying a few various things to see if it's on my end though.

Some additions would be nice:

1) An option to upload on quit or not, it seems to upload automatically even if the bookmarks file hasn't changed at all. This normally wouldn't be a problem but I'm on dial-up here and the bookmarks file tends to be pretty large. Maybe a button to upload manually could be useful too.

2) An english translation would help new users also (it doesn't bug me as much, I can read a bit of japanese and guess on the rest).

Hope I’m not asking too much. This is a very useful extension for those of us that use firebird at home and work and would like to sync the two boxes.
flatrabbit
-- A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it.
‡ [ home | give | game ] ‡

Torisugari
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 8:34 pm
Location: Kyoto, Nippon (GMT +9)

Post Posted December 23rd, 2003, 3:38 am

flatrabbit wrote:well here's an update:

It does log in ok, and it creates the bookmarks.html file. But it seems to have a hard time uploading the file. I'm trying a few various things to see if it's on my end though.

Some additions would be nice:

1) An option to upload on quit or not, it seems to upload automatically even if the bookmarks file hasn't changed at all. This normally wouldn't be a problem but I'm on dial-up here and the bookmarks file tends to be pretty large. Maybe a button to upload manually could be useful too.

Today, I implemented 1), but what's your "hard time" is like?
flatrabbit wrote:2) An english translation would help new users also (it doesn't bug me as much, I can read a bit of japanese and guess on the rest).

Oops, thank you for the info. Now English only version is available again. I guess this is probably a FB side bug...

Return to Extension Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest