1.5.0.6 and "Server not found" is still with us

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't think most of us have it to remove. From snatches of information I get from Google, it appears that: (1) the device was distributed in Win 2003 Net <i>Server</i> as part of IPv6 support; (2) it appears to be causing trouble; and (3) the Windows Help documents disavow the quality of IPv6 support.

Apparently you solved a Windows problem that most of us may not have.
diligentinquirer

Post by diligentinquirer »

VanillaMozilla or ???,

Seems as though there are two threads on the same basic subject. See: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=471312

My last message there has one solution (works for me)with a possible glitch. It might help others on this thread so thought I would let you all know. At least there is one solution, ya know?

If anyone can help more from that point, on this thread or that like (similar) thread, it would be appreciated by me and apprently quite a few others.

Thks, Diligent
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Sorry, in that thread you reported clearing the IE cache, and I don't think that had any effect on Fx.
Boogerhead

Post by Boogerhead »

I've got this problem, and have had it a long time. Now I have a fresh insight. I just read through 13 pages of suggestions and questions to get here, and my problem still wasn't fixed.

My IPv6 was removed a long time ago, though I only recently disabled it in Firefox per this thread. For kicks, I went back into the control panel and tried to add it back in, only to get an error. So maybe it hasn't been truly removed. A Usenet thread seems to address -that- issue:
http://tinyurl.com/ybkheh

... and it worked.

I will suggest, though, that while these client-side fixes outside of Firefox always get Firefox working ... other browsers simply don't have these problems. While there's something to be said about having Firefox working on a ... well, working computer, the other browsers seem to be a lot more fault-tolerant or resilient here. Even if it's not at all Firefox's fault, Firefox will look like the bad guy because it doesn't know how to play nice. It might be worth a try for a coder.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Boogerhead wrote:...other browsers simply don't have these problems.

<b>Are you sure? For some time now I have invited users to take a simple test to prove that point. So far I've only had one taker,</b> and that person found that he had a problem with Internet Explorer that he didn't know about. The problem had nothing to do with Firefox, and by making a small change, his Internet performance improved spectacularly. Here's an actual quote: "Well I'll be ********* ...Knock me over."

<b>If someone can provide strong evidence of a problem, we can file a bug report and get it fixed.</b> Otherwise I can't prove it to anybody and it won't get fixed. Here's the test: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 43#2567743 . All you have to do is wait until you have a problem, then load 20 links with two browsers. It's a simple test. Any takers?
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

No takers? I'll assume that Fx is working fine, then.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Boogerhead, I see on second reading that you were talking about the IPv6 problem. I don't know what to make of that one, since the Internet is supposed to be able to handle IPv6. The test is still on, though. Is it your contention that Fx does not perform as well as other browsers if it uses IPv6? Can you demonstrate this?
Boogerhead

Post by Boogerhead »

My system ran great after completely dismantling IPv6 ... until the next reboot. There's something very strange going on here.

I did run your test, by the way, and got 13 pages in Firefox and 18 of 20 in IE. IE may be handling it differently. Either way, I know my system still has problems. More testing to come to figure out a definitive solution here.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Thanks. That's helpful. Now let's see what it's related to. Wait until it's acting poorly, then use Trolly's tool to check some Web IP addresses. Try it just for addresses that you haven't opened recently.
Boogerhead

Post by Boogerhead »

I just tried a registry hack and reset some DNS stuff. I'll keep looking. I'd love to have some other possible fixes for folks trying to check this out.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

The firewall excuse is horseshit. I've been using the same firewall app without upgrading for some time now. FF started doing this relatively recently for me.

It's a monster pain in the ass on dialup. Generally it happens when I click the red X to stop loading my page. From my observations FF is giving every indication that it is continuing to load the page after I click the X, except it doesn't actually show the page loading. So, I still have to wait the same amount of time, but I don't get to see the page. After that I can load new pages fine.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.8) Gecko/20061025 Firefox/1.5.0.8
kellykelly

Post by kellykelly »

Hi! I have been searching around this evening for a solution to this issue, I have been dealing with it for sometime now. it definitely began after an update as it never happened in the past. unfortunately, aside from it possibly being my dns (and it does not happen with other browsers) none of the links posted here are helpful for me as i am running this on windows XP and MAC os 10.4.8. the version of firefox I am running is 2.0.0.1. proxy configs are the same across the board for all browsers: firefox, safari, and ie. i have no special firewall sw running aside from what is built into both OS', and no special configs there. I bought my dad a mac mini and didn't want to install firefox because of this issue and the phone calls it would result in, I ended up having no choice because he likes it better than safari, when the calls come I tell him to just hit try again! So, that is 3 machines, none with any special configs, especially my fathers, also with different dns servers and different providers.

any other ideas?

a few other buggy things worth mentioning-
if you have too many bookmarks, firefox does not want to load- seems to be more of an issue on xp.
also on my xp, when i download now, the download window starts flickering, still functions, but very very annoying. wont stop unless i close it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

"if you have too many bookmarks, firefox does not want to load- seems to be more of an issue on xp."

Do you mean that Fx doesn't start?
Does it work with the bookmarks if you start Fx in -safe-mode?
thedcman

server not found - possible solution and sugesstion

Post by thedcman »

Hi

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 8#2833108r

The above post under Mozilla Support may help. The topic is 'server not found' - a suggested solution'
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Boogerhead wrote:I just tried a registry hack and reset some DNS stuff. I'll keep looking. I'd love to have some other possible fixes for folks trying to check this out.

Registry hacks don't really help. You can disable Windows caching of negative domain-name lookups, but I've come to doubt that that is much of a problem. If you have a domain-name-lookup problem, the <i>only</i> solution is to find a DNS that works well. If you're using the phone and can't look up numbers reliably, there's nothing you can do but find a way of looking up the numbers.