MozillaZine

Easy Fix for Mozilla conflict with McAfee

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
buckeyefan

Post Posted August 10th, 2006, 7:00 pm

I want to comment on the procedure suggested on the MozillaZine to solve the problem of Firefox not starting due to a issue with McAfee. I have literally spent days (well, a few minutes each day this week) trying to resolve this problem, which started when a McAfee update was automatically installed onto my computer (Dell Inspiron 4100 with Windows 2000 SP2)
The problem is caused by a conflict between Firefox and McAfee's Site Advisor. Firefox worked fine when I completely uninstalled McAfee, so I knew McAfee was the problem. After reading MozillaZine, I again went to uninstall McAfee, but this time, I only uninstalled the Site Advisor. Firefox worked as soon as I restarted my computer!
So, if Firefox doesn't appear to open, try uninstalling McAfee Site Advisor.
I tried McAfee's Live Chat with their Technical Support and they were completely clueless. Nor could I find this solution on the McAfee Knowledge base. McAfee Site Advisor is a nice feature, but it doesn't do anything to protect your computer from viruses or hackers. So you might as well ditch it.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 6:12 am

Somewhere on the McAfee Web site there is information on this problem. It tells you essentially what you have already found out.

kygin

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 6:55 am

Ihave been running McAfee's SiteAdvisor for about a month, but as a Firefox extension, not as a part of McAfee's Security Center. Works perfectly.

tonka2

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 8:30 am

I've been using CallingID that was recommended in other posting, and it seems to be working very well. It's a free download if you care to try it:

http://callingid.com/Default.aspx

Good luck............
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 - Build ID: 2007030919

SandyPoints

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 6:53 pm

I was very surprised when the McAfee live chat tech essentially forced IE down my throat in order to update my VirusScan. Here's the puchline from the chat session:

McAfee Tech Support: Which browser are you using? (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla)
Sandy: I've got both IE and Firefox up, but I understand I am supposed to use IE with you guys.
McAfee Tech Support: Yes, correct.
McAfee Tech Support: This issue can occur when certain settings of Internet Explorer is not properly set on the computer.
Sandy: That wouldn't be surprising. My IE gives me BS run error messages all the time. Yes, I'm ready, what shall I do first?
McAfee Tech Support: Lets go ahead and correct the settings of Internet Explorer.

(Tech then walks through a series of steps to reset IE to default, Delete all Cookies, all offline contents, objects, all History, Passwords, Override Automatic Cookie handling, always allow session cookies, and Reset Web Settings followed by updating VirusScan.)

McAfee Tech Support: The DAT version for VirusScan should get change to 4827.
Sandy: Yes, 4827 is now the DAT version
McAfee Tech Support: Excellent!
Sandy: Now, does this mean that I have to leave IE as my default browser?
McAfee Tech Support: Yes, you need to.
Sandy: ???!!
McAfee Tech Support: The McAfee online services use ActiveX Controls, a technology that allows online applications to interface with your PC through a browser. ActiveX technology is not supported by Netscape or Firefox. Internet Explorer does supports ActiveX technology. That is the reason, we need to set Internet Explorer as the default browser.
McAfee Tech Support: Your reference number for this chat session is 19731404.

kygin

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 7:05 pm

I understand that with VirusScan 11 it is no longer necessary to have IE as default. I'm reporting what I read, not what I know firsthand.

NewMozUser29A

Post Posted August 11th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I used McAfee VirusScan for a year (it was pre-installed and free for 1 year) but never had IE as default browser because I configured McAfee in its 'advanced' options to update automatically from the System Tray. All I had to do was make sure ActiveX and Safe scripting was allowed in Control Panel > Internet Options > Security but I never used IE browser itself for any virus updates at all. I had to make one program update and got a McAfee Netscape Plug In which enabled me to do that via Firefox. I uninstalled the McAfee Firewall/Privacy Service/SpamKiller/Shredder the moment I got the system because I don't think any of those are much good and I got free versions better.
When the year of free Mcafee VirusScan came up for renewal I just uninstalled it and started using Grisoft AVG 7 that was recommended here.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 6:38 am

NewMozUser29A wrote:I used McAfee VirusScan for a year (it was pre-installed and free for 1 year) but never had IE as default browser because I configured McAfee in its 'advanced' options to update automatically from the System Tray. All I had to do was make sure ActiveX and Safe scripting was allowed in Control Panel > Internet Options > Security but I never used IE browser itself for any virus updates at all. I had to make one program update and got a McAfee Netscape Plug In which enabled me to do that via Firefox.

That's good news for McAfee users, for those who want to figure out how to get it working. Nevertheless, I do not recommend McAfee products as long as they specify the default browser or require special procedures to keep their software working.

kygin

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 7:26 am

VanillaMozilla wrote:I do not recommend McAfee products as long as they specify the default browser or require special procedures to keep their software working.

From David Juche, McAfee Defelopment Engineer:

"With the new version [Security Center 7 inclucing VirusScan 11], install/download should occur with any default broswer and with Active X disabled."

At least McAfee is backing off its requirement of IE as default, but don't go rush out and get it. Right now VirusScan 11 has more quirks and problems than anything McAfee has ever released on the unsuspecting public.

NewMozUser29A

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 10:47 am

VanillaMozilla wrote:
NewMozUser29A wrote:I used McAfee VirusScan for a year (it was pre-installed and free for 1 year) but never had IE as default browser because I configured McAfee in its 'advanced' options to update automatically from the System Tray. All I had to do was make sure ActiveX and Safe scripting was allowed in Control Panel > Internet Options > Security but I never used IE browser itself for any virus updates at all. I had to make one program update and got a McAfee Netscape Plug In which enabled me to do that via Firefox.

That's good news for McAfee users, for those who want to figure out how to get it working. Nevertheless, I do not recommend McAfee products as long as they specify the default browser or require special procedures to keep their software working.

I wouldn't use any McAfee products either except in the one instance where the VirusScan came freely downloaded for a year. However, even though their Tech Support people have always said 'make IE the default' I never ever had to for the reasons I gave earlier and because I easily got hold of the McAfee Netscape Plug In for core program updates. So I just wish that the advice here to users who have it was consistent in enabling them to use it without making IE default. Continuing to actually back-up McAfee's eroneous advice about IE needing to be the default browser when it never has to be, is just plain unhelpful.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 11:43 am

Thanks for clarifying that. I have no way of verifying anything about McAfee products, and this forum is not a good place for support on third-party products. The best way to improve that situation is for the manufacturers to do the job and to do it accurately. If their users come to us for support, we are not likely to be sympathetic to those manufacturers.

NewMozUser29A

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 11:48 am

I agree with you with the proviso that Firefox users who have also successfully used McAfee VirusScan without using IE be the best people to give advice. As you can appreciate as helpful as users want to be, giving advice or making statements that they don't know the veracity of is best avoided. :)

Alice

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 11:54 am

VanillaMozilla wrote:Somewhere on the McAfee Web site there is information on this problem. It tells you essentially what you have already found out.

Firefox will not start after installing SiteAdvisor
http://support.siteadvisor.com/support- ... rating=yes

These MozillaZine KB articles link to the above:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 12:00 pm

NewMozUser29A wrote:...Firefox users who have also successfully used McAfee VirusScan without using IE be the best people to give advice.

There don't seem to be a lot of them doing that, but thanks for supplying the good info on the other thread. For the record, I think the information Alice and I supplied in this thread was correct.

If I do see more reports of misinformation or misleading information from McAfee support, however, I will feel free to comment.

bobch

Post Posted August 12th, 2006, 12:07 pm

NewMozUser29A wrote:I agree with you with the proviso that Firefox users who have also successfully used McAfee VirusScan without using IE be the best people to give advice. As you can appreciate as helpful as users want to be, giving advice or making statements that they don't know the veracity of is best avoided. :)

I can't agree more! :D
And as a long time McAfee user with NO complaints about the product until their new Internet Security Suite upgrade; so from my personal experience with their past products I would have recommended them - but as for the new upgrade the jury is still out!!!

Return to Firefox Support