MozillaZine

A Better Thunderbird

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Post Posted August 15th, 2006, 6:03 am

First, try the extension you referred to earlier -- http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2626

richard_leeds

Post Posted August 15th, 2006, 6:07 am

DanRaisch wrote:First, try the extension you referred to earlier -- http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2626

aha - that's the one ... been searching but not finding it

thanks

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 15th, 2006, 6:32 am

You're welcome.

Marcelo Boufleur

Post Posted August 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm

If you don´t mind me going with the thread, there´s also one more thing atop of the quote format of replies todays. It´s the replies themselves...

It´s incredible how people tend to use e-mail (I thought of saying "today", but I guess it´s always been like this), and not cut the e-mail´s body to enshorten the message or just to keep the necessary parts or replies to make the whole context understandable.

Noooo sir, they have to leave it all quoted for several e-mails regardless of the ongoing message size´s and not to mention the waste of space for storage in most cases.

So resuming, organizing quoting and reply formating is essential, but is there an extension that could separate new e-mail from replies and organize all the messages (sort of like Gmail could do)?

PS: And even if it wouldn´t be an extension for it, how about an extension that could at least scan all my e-mails and format them all (quoting and headers) and apply my preferences to formatting issues?

richard_leeds

Post Posted August 16th, 2006, 1:51 am

Marcelo Boufleur wrote:It´s incredible how people tend to use e-mail (I thought of saying "today", but I guess it´s always been like this), and not cut the e-mail´s body to enshorten the message or just to keep the necessary parts or replies to make the whole context understandable.

Noooo sir, they have to leave it all quoted for several e-mails regardless of the ongoing message size´s and not to mention the waste of space for storage in most cases.

Quoting in full means those who are offline downloading or using a Blackberry have the past correspondence to hand.

Yes the cost of storage is huge, but the cost of wasted employee time searching for past correspondence is greater, and the cost of lawsuits when we can't find the smoking gun email is yet another order greater. Sorry, in my workplace, top posting above full quotes is essential!

However...... what would be good would be a routine that compares two emails saved in the same folder and realises that one is a reply which quotes the first in full, hence the earlier email can be deleted. Conversely, if someone replied to me with selective quoting, then the original email would be kept. The idea is that there is always one full transcript of the conversation and only duplicates are deleted.

Marcelo Boufleur

Post Posted August 16th, 2006, 10:15 am

That would work wonderfully! How difficult would it be to achieve such function?

(Plus the reformating of quote formats...)

JamesIsIn

Post Posted August 17th, 2006, 2:11 pm

richard_leeds wrote:
... err .... what does "collected adresses" mean ???

Actually, collected addresses are all address that Thunberbird has seen in any e-mail. The option to save outgoing addresses to your [choose one] address book is separate.

Also, BTJustice, I used to work for the country's largest public research institution (University of Washington--they wrote Pine) and once Thunderbird turned 1.0 the central computer support group began supporting it. Thunderbird use was already pretty rampant by then. It has only increased since.

I would encourage you to participate in the Calendar project (Sunbird). It's at .3 and it's coming along nicely. Once Sunbird is fully functional there will be much lower motivation for folks to insist upon Outlook/Exchange. (I agree that the lack of calendaring is a real bummer for Thunderbird.) Download it and start using/testing it. I am and I don't code.

Lastly, in response to Richard again, I would not want to see quoted messages deleted (it may be useful to see a timeline picture) but perhaps something where duplicated lines are compressed and remembered could be of the same service.

James

Marcelo Boufleur

Post Posted August 21st, 2006, 8:56 am

JamesIsIn wrote:Lastly, in response to Richard again, I would not want to see quoted messages deleted (it may be useful to see a timeline picture) but perhaps something where duplicated lines are compressed and remembered could be of the same service.
James

There is already an extension for Thunderbird that does it: quote collapse
Although not perfect (because it can´t correctly identify certain replied e-mails), it does its job.

I guess an user could have options for different situations. If it is really necessary to keep replies, one could simply reformat the incoming e-mail´s body and apply quote formating to their likes (as one would wish then to be, and not like these are today with several e-mail clients applying their own quote format), or one could just have a function that would search through previous e-mails at the moment of message receipt, and give the user the chance to erase the previous replies from the body - or the previous messages.

Just remembering: I´m not a programmer, so I´m really not sure how difficult it would be to achieve such solution. I´m just trying to make an analogy to something that I first saw in GMail... :)

richard_leeds

Post Posted August 21st, 2006, 9:39 am

Marcelo Boufleur wrote:one could just have a function that would search through previous e-mails at the moment of message receipt, and give the user the chance to erase the previous replies from the body - or the previous messages.

That's what I was thinking of.

Unfortunately it's only an academic thought since I only really need this for work and that's firmly in the grip of Outlook.

Canyonero

Post Posted August 22nd, 2006, 7:11 am

Just remembering: I´m not a programmer, so I´m really not sure how difficult it would be to achieve such solution. I´m just trying to make an analogy to something that I first saw in GMail...

I'm all for a big rewrite to create a more GMail like, conversation system too. Something that can take the last 100 emails(w/ and w/out attachments) between me and my bosses, some stored locally, some on the IMAP server, etc. and create a coherent set of messages. Unfortunately... well, I'm not sure it has any chance of happening.

RiponEric

Post Posted August 23rd, 2006, 9:52 am

Re: See DanRaisch's reply above in this thread on adding code to the user.js file so reply headers can be altered:

On a Mac, the [date] function actually picks up date and time of the original message. When set to '2', reply headers then look like this (copied from a sample message; editing the text in option #3 actually will change the text when the option is set to 2 - not sure if this is a tiny bug):
On 8/22/06 3:14 PM John Smith wrote:

Could this be built in as a user option via menu selection or preferences instead of via the more cumbersome user.js file? Would be more user friendly.
TB version 2.0.0.6 + Camino 1.5 on Mac G4 Dual-800 10.3.9 in Central Wisconsin

leishirsute

Post Posted September 17th, 2006, 6:14 am

dtobias wrote:The traditional netiquette for reply formatting is to trim down the original message to the minimum needed to establish context, and then reply contextually beneath each relevant piece. The use of a compact attribution line instead of the big honkin' hunk of crap used by Outhouse, and the prefixing of quotes with angle brackets, make sense in this context.

Sample:

Code: Select all
Jane Doe said:
> Why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side, of course.

> And why is it a chicken and not a turkey?

Because turkeys are too dumb to cross roads by themselves.  They're a lot like M$ Outhouse users and top-posters.

Traditions get outdated. Business auditing and etiquette require that email replies contain the prior headers to show if cc's and to's lists were modified. "user wrote" doesn't cut it. TB, Mozilla and SeaMonkey email remain toys with that lack of business acumen.

If somebody wants to see the entire past history of the thread, they should look at the earlier messages directly instead of expecting them to be wastefully attached in full (headers, trailers, and all) to every subsequent message.

http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/

leishirsute

Post Posted September 17th, 2006, 6:15 am

"If somebody wants to see the entire past history of the thread, they should look at the earlier messages directly instead of expecting them to be wastefully attached in full (headers, trailers, and all) to every subsequent message.

http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/"

Someone added to an email thread will not have the past history. This is a thoughtless suggestion.

leishirsute

Post Posted September 17th, 2006, 6:18 am

richard_leeds wrote:
Marcelo Boufleur wrote:one could just have a function that would search through previous e-mails at the moment of message receipt, and give the user the chance to erase the previous replies from the body - or the previous messages.

That's what I was thinking of.

Unfortunately it's only an academic thought since I only really need this for work and that's firmly in the grip of Outlook.

I agree. I love the concept of opensource TB but it's features are not ready for primetime large business concerns and this is a key need of mail tracking.

WileyDog

Post Posted October 6th, 2006, 5:39 am

Is there a way to format this "Change the reply header" override to include the headere box that appears when you Forward a message. It seems to have all of the details most would need

Return to Thunderbird Features