MozillaZine

Problem opening mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
andybroc

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 10:10 am

I keep getting an "Alert" message box when I click to read my mail.
The message I get is:

"The file /C|/Documents and Settings/SLB#1/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/v2fbdkks.default/Mail/Local Folders/Inbox?number=39476 cannot be found. Please check the location and try again."

Does anyone know why I am getting this message?

I run Thunderbird on all of my machines and I have never had this problem.

I can get my mail OK ..... I just can't read it...

thx in advance!

Freee!!

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 10:13 am

Some more general info that might be helpful is:
- Thunderbird version
- Operating system
- Extensions installed (if any)
- Themes installed (besides the default)
- Firewall
- Anti virus

And let's not forget the usual suspects:
- Have you recently compacted your folders? (The correct answer is yes, see also Compacting, why it is a good idea.)
- How many read messages are there in your Inbox? (The correct answer is none.)

andybroc

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 10:36 am

- Thunderbird version

- Operating system
XP Home

- Extensions installed (if any)
None

- Themes installed (besides the default)
None

- Firewall
On the network ... don't know what tho

- Anti virus
None

And let's not forget the usual suspects:
- Have you recently compacted your folders? (The correct answer is yes, see also Compacting, why it is a good idea.)
No

- How many read messages are there in your Inbox? (The correct answer is none.)
None

Hope that helps!

andybroc

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 11:43 am

Thx for your help so far Freee but I'm still having that problem despite doing what you suggested.
I have also:
- done a clean install
- created a new profile

Freee!!

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 11:46 am

You're still getting a similar error message?

How did you move the contents of your old profile to your new one? You may have imported the corruption too.

andybroc

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 11:50 am

I didn't move anything.
I don't have any mail in this new account.
I'm starting fresh. I just have a few test messages.
I can email you a screen shot of the message I'm getting ... if that helps

Freee!!

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 11:55 am

If you get that error message on a fresh install with a clean profile, there is something seriously wrong. I am right out of my depth now. I suggest you take this straight to Bugzilla.

Daifne

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Did you create a new profile or a new account? You create a new profile with the profile manager.

andybroc

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 5:20 pm

I created a new profile using the profile manager

Daifne

Post Posted August 29th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Did you set the profile to be somewhere else other than where Thunderbird wanted to put it?

andybroc

Post Posted August 30th, 2006, 8:54 am

I've tried both: default and using my own folder

Daifne

Post Posted August 30th, 2006, 9:00 am

Hmmm. The error is saying that Thunderbird can't find the inbox in Local Folders. This means that you are using the Global Inbox in Local folders. I think you should create another new profile this way. Let Thunderbird use the default locations.

Close Thunderbird and open the profile manager. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Create your new profile, naming it something other than "default", and setup your accounts. Make sure it's working including for sending and receiving mail.

Then I want you to install this extension: Mboximport: http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link and choose "Save Link As...". Then open Thunderbird, in Thunderbird go to Tools->Extensions->Install. Find the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.

When it's installed, you will have a new menu item in Tools called Import/Export Mbox and under it, Import Mbox File. Select it and when you get to the Windows file navigation window, find your OLD profile and get the files with no extension that you want from Mail/*account*. Example: there are two files and 1 folder in your profile for your inbox. Inbox.sbd is the folder, inbox.msf is the index and inbox (no extension) is the actual message file. The last one is the one you want. Do this for each folder that contains messages that you want to bring in. You can bring in more than one at a time. Use Ctrl+Click to select a group of mbox files in a folder. If you have subfolders, these files are in the .sbd folder for the parent folder. The messages will be in a new folder named for the original with three numbers, ex: Inbox123, which you can then move the messages out of and sort as you want.

For this next bit, you will need to find your profile: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder#Thunderbird and to do so, you need to set Windows to "View hidden files and folders" and to not "Hide extensions for known file types". See this for easy instructions for how to do this: http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272

For your address books, Close TB. Find your old profile and in the top level of it you will find some files with the .mab extension. TB creates two, abook.mab and history.mab. These are your main address books. These files can be just copied right into your new profile at the same level if you haven't added any new ones to the new address book. Let them copy over any existing files. If you do have addresses in the new address book already, then rename the old ones and copy them in that way. If you created any of your own please let me know, they will also be named with the .mab extension, but they won't be automatically picked up.

If you have any filters set in your accounts, the files you want to copy is msgFilterRules.dat This goes in the Mail/*account* folder. For Junk controls training, the file is training.dat and it is kept in the top level of the profile folder.

When you have completed this, compact your folders now and regularly in the future. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

That should be everything. Let me know how it turns out.

andybroc

Post Posted August 31st, 2006, 1:11 pm

Figured it out.

It wasn't working because there was a "#" in the path.

Thx for all of your help!

Freee!!

Post Posted August 31st, 2006, 1:32 pm

andybroc wrote:Figured it out.

It wasn't working because there was a "#" in the path.

Thx for all of your help!

Aaaaargh, should have seen that Image

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago when the MboxImport extension didn't want to import a file with a "#" in the name.

Thanks for the update.

Return to Thunderbird Support