MozillaZine

Thunderbird preview pane

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TomBC

Post Posted September 7th, 2006, 9:31 am

Is there a way to disable Thunderbird preview pane so that it does not open EVERY time I open Thunderbird? I do not want to use it, but would prefer not to have to use F8 every time.

I reinstalled and the problem persists. When I first started using Thunderbirdpreview pane was never open. Suddenly it came up and stays up. I deleted all Firefox extensions.

Thanks,
Tom

Old Limpet235

Post Posted September 7th, 2006, 10:09 am

Try > view > layout > message pane. :D L.

TomBC

Post Posted September 7th, 2006, 11:11 am

[quote="TomBC"]Is there a way to disable Thunderbird preview pane so that it does not open EVERY time I open Thunderbird? I do not want to use it, but would prefer not to have to use F8 every time.

I reinstalled and the problem persists. When I first started using Thunderbirdpreview pane was never open. Suddenly it came up and stays up. I deleted all Firefox extensions.

Thanks,
Tom[/quote

Tools>layout>message pane is only a toggle; I would like to disable it so that it never comes up.
Thanks
Tom

Old Limpet235

Post Posted September 7th, 2006, 11:26 am

TomBC, all I can say is, it works fine in my T/Bird. I can turn it off, close, reopen & it stays off & vise versa...:shrug: Maybe a mod can assist....:D L.

TomBC

Post Posted September 8th, 2006, 6:32 pm

First post of problem did not find help. I am plagued by preview pane. I do not want it to open, at all, ever. I turn it off with view>layout>uncheck messagepane. This closes it, but it recurs every time I open Thunderbird. Pervious to a recent reinstall there was no problem.

In effort to correct problem, I uninstalled Tb, did a search both on "C" and in regedit and deleted everything pertaining to Tb before reinstalling. The message pane is still there except for being able to toggle off-on. Off lasts only for this time opening Tb; preview pane is back when I next open Tb.

Thanks,
Tom

thissux

Post Posted September 22nd, 2009, 2:46 pm

This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.

makaiguy

Post Posted September 22nd, 2009, 6:14 pm

See if this article helps: Preferences not saved - MozillaZine Knowledge Base:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win7 Home Prem (64bit): FF 38.0.5, TB 38.0.1║ Android 4.2.2/4.4.2: FF 38.0.5, no Android TB available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

ineuw

Post Posted November 29th, 2009, 1:53 pm

thissux wrote:This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.

On a lighter note, and don't be (too) offended, but this kind of announcement is akin to threatening the world and letting everyone know that you're going to the bathroom. :D On a more serious note, you're using free software.
Windows 7, Xubuntu 14.04 with the latest FF & TB releases -ASUS P5B-E 2 core 32bit 2.4Ghz MB 2GB RAM, Nvidia GT 620 1GB video, LG V2500 22", 1536 x 864 @96dpi.

FrontierDK

Post Posted May 21st, 2010, 5:25 am

I have checked the knowledgebase article, and it doesn't apply to me. I can easily save/change the file, and even before touching the prefs.js file, I noticed that the date/time of the file was the same as when I last closed Thunderbird.

I have yet to see Thunderbird NOT show the message preview pane on any Windows 7 x64 PC...

Ed1

Post Posted May 21st, 2010, 5:42 am

I have TB 3.0.4 running on Win7 64-bit. About 99% of the time, Preview pane stays off for me if toggled off. Very rarely, TB opens with Preview pane showing. I just toggle it off (I have a toolbar button for this, so it's easy), and it stays off.

Post Posted June 10th, 2010, 9:00 am

ineuw wrote:
thissux wrote:This sux and I am ceasing to use tb as a client due to this problem.

On a lighter note, and don't be (too) offended, but this kind of announcement is akin to threatening the world and letting everyone know that you're going to the bathroom. :D On a more serious note, you're using free software.

Maybe so, but that kind of post is a waste of everybody's time. Cease and desist. We're looking for solutions here. Tell us something we DON'T know.

LoudNoise

Post Posted June 10th, 2010, 11:37 am

You are replying to an elderly thread (started 2006) . Locking.
Post wrangler
"If you lock this, the Pentium IIs win." - anonymous

Return to Thunderbird Support