A - Firefox Extension Backup Extension (FEBE) - https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2109/
B - MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird - http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
C - BackupFox - http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=291258
D - Backup your profile - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
2) Create a new Profile with 188.8.131.52 (or whatever you have now), but don't start 184.108.40.206 with that new Profile; after creating the new Profile and being returned the to the Choose User Profile dialog box, click Exit.
3) Install 2.0b2 using the Custom Installation option, but don't launch it at the end of the installation process. On the last Installation window un-check the box that says Launch Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Beta 2 now, then click Finish.
4) Go to the new desktop icon for 2.0b2 and Right-click > Properties; on the Target: line add the following:
space hyphen p space "profileName"
-- so it looks like this (but with the name of your new Profile):
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\~\firefox.exe" -p "profileName"
5) Now you can launch 2.0 b2 with its' own Profile.
Additional steps you may want to do:
6) Copy user files from old 220.127.116.11 profile to the new profile.
You can share the same bookmarks.html file between both Profiles, even if you are running 2 versions simultaneously.
Code: Select all
// relocate Bookmarks.html file:
7) Install either the Nightly Tester Tools extension or Mr.Tech's Local Install extension to "override compatibility" for older extensions not yet updated for 2.0beta2.
OR about:config = add the Preference - extensions.checkCompatibility as a Boolean set to false
Note: Either method will allow older extensions to be installed, but those extensions won't necessarily work correctly. There have been changes (which are still on-going in the Branch nightly's) to the default theme for the Toolbars and the Tab bar, and to the Options dialog window (Downloads tab has been eliminated, plus other Preferences move around), so any extension that modifies those areas of Firefox may not work correctly. Updated versions of specific extensions and themes are spread out in both the Builds and the Extension/Theme Releases fora. Some 2.0b2 extensions are located here: http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html
Check the extension/theme author's own websites for the most recent versions to see if a 2.0 b2 compatible version is available, or check AMO or TEM.
8) Want to be able to have both 18.104.22.168 and 2.0b2 running at the same time?
A new Command Line argument for both Firefox 2.0 and Minefield 3.0 to 'invoke' the MOZ_NO_REMOTE Environment Variable is -no-remote . Like this:
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\~\firefox.exe" -no-remote -p "profileName"
Additional info from Vectorspace, edited by Ed:
9) Make sure that whichever version is set as your Default browser, that the corresponding Profile is the profile selected by default in Profile Manager; IOW, it is "illuminated" when you run the Profile Manager. (You can also inspect the profiles.ini file, that it shows Default=1 for that particular Profile - profiles.ini is a text file, use Notepad or other text program to view, and edit if you are courageous.)
This is to make sure that whenever Firefox is started from another app (like link in e-mail program) which launches the Default browser, that your Default browser is launched with the corresponding (correct) profile. [If you screw this up and run 2.0 with the 22.214.171.124 Profile, that Profile may get b0rked, in which case your backup will be needed.]
10) The version launched from going Start > Run and typing firefox.exe is the version most recently installed, and will also launch with the Default profile. If install order is 1.5 then 2.0 beta, 2.0 beta will be launched through this with the Default Profile. If 1.5 is default and 1.5's profile is default, running Firefox like this will start 2.0 with 1.5's profile. IOW, it is probably best using 2.0 as your Default browser, with the new Profile as the Default Profile; unless you modify the Registry key or re-install 1.5.0.x so it is the newest installation!
You can control which version is launched in this manner using the path to firefox.exe in this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > App Paths > firefox.exe
Or, reinstall whichever version is to be default.