History

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
idfubar

History

Post by idfubar »

A better way to sort the history tab would be every day having its history stored together, e.g. every day is stored under a distinct heading rather than all history being stored under 'Greater than 6 days ago'.

Searching history greater than 6 days old can become a bit unwieldy with the current design. Is there any reason for lumping older history together under a 'greater than 6 days old' heading?
idfubar

Post by idfubar »

A bump for my original request.

Additionaly, selecting a history period of 36500 days (~100 years) seems to break the history function, and causes the browser to retain history for "today" only.
Last edited by idfubar on January 27th, 2004, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

What about the leap years? :)
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
idfubar

Post by idfubar »

revised; bump for a (serious) problem
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I never missed this, because I have my history set to 7 days, but you could ask in the extensions forum if anybody's willing to give it a shot, and if not you could file an RFE in bugzilla.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
idfubar

Post by idfubar »

Please see:

(1) <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=208795">this bug (old)</a>
(2) <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=233773">this bug ('new')</a>
(3) <a href="bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=126621">this bug (related)</a>
as well as
(4) <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=438219#438219">this forum post (Firefox Support->History By Date)</a>
and
(5) <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=46597&highlight=">this one too (Firefox Support->History Toolbar Not Sorted?)</a>
techead

Post by techead »

I just dont like this IE History look. I liked the netscape look with all of the columns in its own window. sort by anything you want.

give it back!!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Firefox/0.8
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

chrome://communicator/content/history/history.xul
idfubar

Post by idfubar »

That link doesn't seem to work for me
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

You have to copy and paste it to make it work (or simply bookmark it). Linking to chrome URLs from web pages doesn't work for security reasons.
idfubar

Post by idfubar »

The idea of using the chrome 'view' is nice, but still doesn't solve the root problem.

History only shows the URL and the date visited, not what the page looked like when you loaded it. If the site you visit has since updated its database (and was even kind enough to include name/value pairs as part of the URL) there's no guarentee you'll get the same page you looked at when you first requested the page; that defeats the purpose of having a 'history' file, doesn't it? It also means you're at the mercy of whoever's site you visited for the information you need, something my experience says is an unfortunate position (most retail sites, including credit card and financial companies, are pretty poor with online record keeping).

Another problem exists with page naming: for example, Stanford graduate admissions has a dynamically generated page for for confirmation of graduate school admissions applications, similar to a receipt. The page has an application number and states something to the order of "we got your application". Unfortunately, the title and URL of the page is the same as the page used to login to the process of applying; had I not printed out the page when I first saw it, I would have no facillity for recalling that page or my application number, something the university specifically requested when requesting my transcript.

It seems to me the way history is stored in the browser deserves some serious reconsideration; short of taking 'snapshots' via code or printscreen, I don't think there's any way to accurately keep a 'history' of what a user sees on the web. Given my Stanford example, the reason such a history would be needed is obvious.