MozillaZine

[Ext] SessionSaver .2d: new (rewrite)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Gary King

Post Posted January 29th, 2005, 8:08 pm

How do I know if I need to upgrade my SessionSaver to the latest? Because sometimes it doesn't always save my tabs, and it frustrates me when I don't even know what the contents were of my ~10 tabs that I thought SessionSaver would save, but it didn't :(

terrypin

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 4:36 am

Thanks, TychoQuad. I'd not tried that, assuming that File>Exit and clicking X gave identical results.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre

terrypin

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 4:55 am

I'm frustrated by unexpected behaviour from SessionSaver too, Gary! ;) I'm pretty sure this is mainly because I don't understand the 'rules', rather than any inherent major flaws in the program (Although I do think there are some quirks/bugs.) . I've posted about this before, but IMO so far my points haven't been addressed by Rue.

To rephrase my earlier constructive suggestion:
Please document the basics more thoroughly. Examples of the practical use of various options - and their combinations - would be particularly helpful. Write these in simple terms ('Window 1 has tabs A and B; Window 2 has A, C and D. Settings in Preferences are as follows...' etc). At present, it seems to me that users of your potentially excellent extension who have not been participating in this thread for months are at a marked disadvantage. I am assuming that you have not intended SS exclusively for programmers or those confident to add or edit code, but just end users who are looking to enhance FF 1.0?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Gary King

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 7:37 am

One of the things that I think could confuse some users is when they have a link that opens a new window, and then they were thinking that when closing windows #1 then windows #2 after, then FF would restore window #1. But of course, it restores #2 instead. etc.

I try to remember to backup my prefs.js file (containing all the sessionsaver info) before closing FF if I have important tabs - only SOMETIMES, though; I can't be bothered to do it every time. But that's the best way to be sure that you have saved those tabs...

Christian-79

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 9:43 am

terrypin wrote:Well, this is odd. I tried your method, although without truly understanding why it would get the warning back to be honest.

With my method you won't get the warning back. But your last session, before you exited FF, will be saved to "Last Session". So, if you close the FF window by mistake, start FF again and open your Session at "Tools > SessionSaver". It's only a little workaround, as I wrote - no real solution. Maybe this extension fixes your problem: http://gorgias.de/mfe/#tabwarning

Or maybe you want to try Click2Tab. With this extension you can configure, that closing the last tab doesn't close the window.

terrypin

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 11:16 am

Thanks for the helpful follow-up. I'l take a look at Tab Warning tomorrow.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Win 10 Pro, Waterfox 56.1.0 replaced Firefox 56.0.2, TMP 0.5.0.5pre

hydreux

Post Posted January 30th, 2005, 7:36 pm

Christian-79 wrote:Workaround: Create a session named "Last Session". Open Tools > SessionSaver > Preferences. Set [x] "Save session-copy on shutdown to: Last Session".

since terrypin's concern is same as mine, i tried your work-around. but then whenever i re-start my ff, there is an additional menu item in ssaver's sub-menu. It has the same title as the menu item above it but with "(SS Rolling-prior)" appended to it...
any ideas why this happens? view the screenshot for more info.

Christian-79

Post Posted January 31st, 2005, 3:36 am

hydreux wrote:
Christian-79 wrote:Workaround: Create a session named "Last Session". Open Tools > SessionSaver > Preferences. Set [x] "Save session-copy on shutdown to: Last Session".

since terrypin's concern is same as mine, i tried your work-around. but then whenever i re-start my ff, there is an additional menu item in ssaver's sub-menu. It has the same title as the menu item above it but with "(SS Rolling-prior)" appended to it...
any ideas why this happens? view the screenshot for more info.

Oh, you also have this Remove Menu. :) I like it, too. Should be an option in Preferences.

When SS overwrites your session "Last Session" with another session, that has the same name, is saves the older "Last Session" as "Last Session (SS-Rolling-prior)". So, you have the last session saved and - with "Rolling-prior" - the session before the last session. I don't know how to turn this off. I like it to have the 2 last sessions saved.

Please note, that, if you have 2 windows open and close one of them by mistake, it won't be saved. Saving will only take effect, if you close FF completely.

snakebite2

Post Posted February 1st, 2005, 6:54 am

where can i download SessionSaver2d? The link to the installer on the first page of this thread doesn't work.

dgrimm1

Post Posted February 1st, 2005, 7:20 am

Try the first install link on this page:
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=166

AnonEmoose

Post Posted February 1st, 2005, 3:26 pm

Christian-79 wrote:Please note, that, if you have 2 windows open and close one of them by mistake, it won't be saved.
Actually i believe snapBack (if u check the window option) will restore the window... (I haven't tried it myself yet)

sasquatch

Post Posted February 1st, 2005, 6:52 pm

rue wrote:So yea- SessionSaver is awesome... except it doesn't handle multiple-windows quite right. And it doesn't support Mozilla. And it doesn't restore scroll-states. And doesn't crash-recover. Or, at least <a href="http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla">it</a> couldn't...

..Until now.
SessionSaver .2d (rewritten by rue): <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/sessionsaver/sessionsaver-02-dev.xpi">Installer</a>, and <a href="http://adblock.mozdev.org/sessionsaver/sessionsaver.jar">jar-file</a>.

Is this (from first post), the latest installer?

shakey_snake

Post Posted February 1st, 2005, 10:00 pm

two posts up?

AaronThoma

Post Posted February 2nd, 2005, 3:57 am

A Minor Bug:
The scrolling position in about:config - especially a file in which to get lost ;) and also one, which asks for restarts - is forgotten when restarting Firefox.

Greets
Last edited by AaronThoma on March 14th, 2009, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sasquatch

Post Posted February 2nd, 2005, 8:19 am

shakey_snake wrote:two posts up?
That doesn't answer the question. Is the link on the first page the latest installer or not? Thanks.

Return to Extension/Theme Releases