Post by bopp »

I have info entered on a Yahoo site. Recently almost every time I access it,
it wont finish loading and Firefox freezes. The sequence:
1. At the bottom left of screen (right above "Start") "Transfering data from
streamer api.finance.yahoo.com".
2. after 2+ minutes small window appears:"Warning: Unresponsive script. A
script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding. You can
stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will
complete." and there are two click boxes: "Stop Script" and "Continue".
When either of these boxes is clicked the window disappears - for a moment,
then reappears! Meanwhile, a constant "hourglass" at curser, and Fopxfire
whirling circle at upper right keeps whirling.
And usually the window freezes. When I access Task Manager it shows Yahoo
and Zone Alarm (free version) "Not Responding".

I've tried accessing site via IE and have the same problem.

I have XP PRO, Foxfire, Avast, ZoneAlarm. I tried loading after truning off ZoneAlarm - didn't help.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Something is wrong with the scripts on those pages that you have no control over, beyond not allowing them to run.
http://www.noscript.net/whats
Install the NoScript extension and selectively allow JavaScript to run.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
bopp

Post by bopp »

"The-edmeister" is truly The Master. His diagnosis was obviously correct because the cure (NoScript) was fast and painless. Thanks, Ed!
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

the-edmeister wrote:Something is wrong with the scripts on those pages that you have no control over, beyond not allowing them to run.
http://www.noscript.net/whats
Install the NoScript extension and selectively allow JavaScript to run.

Ed

It's amazing how many sites have developed script problems. :P
Red Dragon

This has worked for me

Post by Red Dragon »

I had done some Googling earlier today, looking for answers. The following suggested solution is what I've tried. I've not yet seen the annoying "Warning: Unresponsive script" pop-up.

* Type about:config into your address bar
* Search for dom.max_script_run_time
* Right click and click modify
* Change the value to 20

My value was at "10" before I reset it. I saw another possible solution elsewhere, but it was somewhat involved and way over my head.
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I have a hunch that as time goes by, more resources (as in faster hardware) are needed for optimum performance. Still, according to this site, Firefox is not the fastest kid on the block. If I run the extension, IE Tab 1.1.1.4 (which is suppose to be FF using the IE7 engine), there is a noticeable jump in speed. People with the latest and greatest hardware probably do not notice much difference and wonder what the fuss is about.
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

One thing I didn't think to mention earlier is one change that affects all of the older computers: Flash ads. They weren't so bad when they were static ads, but flash seems to be taking over. Sites that don't have flash ads load faster, where other sites -- those with flash ads -- really slows things down. Granted, this doesn't have a lot to do with FF. Even so, the demands for FF are increasing, along with every other program. For example, someone with Win 98 cannot have the newer versions of the following: Adobe Acrobat Reader, the new version of Yahoo, the latest version of Windows Media Player, and etc.

Maybe a stripped down version of FF would be more suitable for the increasingly obsolete hardware out here.

BTW, in case anybody is wondering, I do regular maintenance on my computer -- dumping cache, running disk cleanup, scandisk, defrag, Adaware, Spybot, Avast, and occasionally Hijack This.