Firefox 2.0 RC2 and Google

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

przemko wrote:This has NOTHING to do with Google since the older versions of FF (1.5) does not have that problem.

zeniko wrote:Google specifically requests that all results should be opened in the same new tab/window. If this worked in Firefox 1.5, it was either due to an extension or due to a bug which has been finally fixed.
BigWillyStyle42

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

The fact that this used to work with firefox 1.5 and your extension actually implies a bug in your extension...
przemko

Post by przemko »

No, since it worked WITHOUT any extension... It is FF bug, I think
code65536

Post by code65536 »

There is already a thread about this issue:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=471957

And yes, the problem is with Google. If this had "worked" in Firefox 1.5, then it would only be because Firefox 1.5 was incorrectly handling opening targets. The behavior in Firefox 2.0 is 100% correct, even if it may not be the behavior that you'd like.

See my post here for the explanation of what is going on with this behavior:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 37#2528837

My suggestion: turn off Google's open in new window and just use middle-click instead and/or complain to Google and remind them that the proper and correct method for "new window" opening is and has always been the unnamed target=_blank and not some named target like the target=nw that they currently use.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

przemko wrote:It is FF bug, I think

Maybe using a different browser will convince you: both IE6 and Opera 9 correctly open one new window/tab and happily reuse that one -- as Google tells them.
kdring

Post by kdring »

przemko wrote:This has NOTHING to do with Google since the older versions of FF (1.5) does not have that problem. Also, I did try the tab extension and I still cannot get multiple tabs open but indeed, all the pages are STILL redirected to the same tab. This sounds like a bug to me. Perhaps we all should report it?

Actually, it looks like the bug was in FF 1.5 and it has been fixed in 2.0. If you examine the code that Google generates when told to send links to a new window, it creates a window with a particular name. It then sends ALL LINKS TO THAT SAME NAMED WINDOW. In FF 1.5, the name was ignored when the behavior was set to open new window links in tabs (instead of a new window), but in 2.0 it seems that a tab can have a name just like a window. Therefore, when Google tries to send everything to that same named window, FF sends it to the same named tab. It is working just as it should.
Deadly_Dad

Post by Deadly_Dad »

If you think about it, opening all results in the same new window is a good thing for IE, which is any website's main target, otherwise you could be left dealing with a hundred open windows. What Google needs to do (if anything) is to offer the option in their preferences of opening search results in new tabs for users of browsers which use them.

As for me, having to middle-click instead of left-click isn't really a big problem. I'll get used to it in a very short time.
randomint

Post by randomint »

people who want Google Search to behave like FF1.5 should use this extension : TargetKiller

go to the extension's option page, remove the existing targets, add nw, and put in _blank at the bottom where it says "Overwrite mode:"

(of course you have to tick that box and enable TargetKiller)
WH0A

Post by WH0A »

I've read this thread with interest because this change with FF2 is driving me up the wall as well - and unlike some other patient people I can't seem to force myself to change my behaviour with Google searches!

Does TargetKiller work for other people? I tried it as suggested by randomint (thanks for the idea) as it looked like exactly the required solution ... but no go. :(

The problem may be because I'm using Google Toolbar for Firefox and TargetKiller doesn't seem to overwrite the page that is generated as a result (as opposed to a normal Google search from their home page, which works fine).

Any ideas - either for TargetKiller or for any other solutions to this vexing Google problem?
foxy123

Post by foxy123 »

it works perfectly for me
WH0A

Post by WH0A »

Don't you love computers?!

Reading foxy123's reply (thanks), I thought what the heck, I'll just re-install TargetKiller again. It had 'remembered' the filter settings ... and worked perfectly this time!

So if anyone has the same problem as I did try ...

Uninstalling and then re-installing TargetKiller
If still not good, try uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox before reinstalling TargetKiller yet again.

Cheers.
aldiboronti

Post by aldiboronti »

foxy123 wrote:
JSS3rd wrote:
I want every link from the Google search results page to open in its own new tab.

I use the Tab Mix Plus extension (Dev-Build 0.3.49.061009) to accomplish that. In TMP's options on the Links page, at Force to open in new tab:, select Links to other sites from the drop-down menu.

I guess this extension should make some changes in about:config for that and I wonder which changes, because I'd rather edit my about:config than install another extension.

Believe me, Tab Mix Plus isn't just another extension, it's one of the best extensions ever written for Firefox and it would sort out your tab problems in an instant.
WH0A

Post by WH0A »

It is good, but it is universal. I wanted to specifically address this issue with Google Search, not every single tab.

But thanks for the comment! :)
smf_ogre

Post by smf_ogre »

I THINK I FIXED IT BY ACCIDENT

here is exactly what I did
1. changed browser.link.open_newwindow -> 1
2. tried google search
3. changed browser.link.open_newwindow -> 2
4. tried google search
5. changed browser.link.open_newwindow -> 3
6. tried google and bam it worked

I don't know what can be removed in these steps because it is working for me now and in case this is a fluke i'm not going to try to break it again.

and because this worked for me i would have to say its a browser problem
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

A 7 month old thread??? You serious? 2.0 RC2 is.........well...........GONE. Who would be using an RC for Forefox 2 when it's already 2.0.0.4??
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials