Option to set exceptions in recurring events gone in 0.3!

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
silvandy

Option to set exceptions in recurring events gone in 0.3!

Post by silvandy »

After installing Sunbird 0.3 I tried hard to find the way to set exceptions for recurrent events (like a weekly appointment going on all the year but not on some holiday weeks), that was in the edit event dialog window until 0.3a2 (even tough it had a problem there - it always inserted the day before the one you selected!).
Alas it seems the functionality has disappeared from there and I could not find it anywhere else....
Fortunately recurrent events with exceptions recorded with previous releases still seem to be there, but there is no way to edit or add them now.
Or maybe someone can give a hint about where/how to do it?
Please Help! Shocked Shocked
Thanks everybody
Andy
Old ssiter

Post by Old ssiter »

Select instance of repeating event, press delete key, select 'this occurrence only' and you have your exception created.
silvandy

Nice.... is it the new way to do it?

Post by silvandy »

Good advice, thank you! I was wondering: is this the new "official" way to set exceptions or just a workaround that was there before as well?
And what about deleting an exception that you wrongly set? In other words, how do I "resuscitate" an instance of a recurrent event that I deleted as you suggest, if for example I decide to skip a previously programmed holiday for some reasons?
brusk

Post by brusk »

It's not even necessarily a "mistake" -- what if for example, a regular recurring event such as a weekly meeting is pre-empted by something else, and then that something else is cancelled. In that case, it ought to be made very easy for a user to remove/undo the exception. I'm using lightning and there doesn't seem to be any way of doing this.

Likewise, it would be nice to be able to see a list of exceptions, as I think there was in earlier versions of lightning. For example, it would be useful to be able to look at the recurring event for something like a weekly meeting and see when the event *isn't* occuring (ah, there's no Wednesday meeting three weeks from now...). But there's no way to do that.
silvandy

Post by silvandy »

Yes Brusk this function (including the list of inserted exceptions) was there until very recently: in Sunbird 0.3a2 for sure. For the moment I have reverted to that release, also because of the other missing function (see Option to select the shown hours in week view gone in 0.3). I am wondering about the reasons that brought to the cut....
EndersGame

Post by EndersGame »

See <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=239431">here</a> for the debate on the exceptions. The theory was you could create the exceptions by deleting the items from the main view. The start/end hours was discussed in various places, especially <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133107">here</a>. The calendar developers are intended to further polish this '24-hr views' feature in further releases.
silvandy

Post by silvandy »

I see... thanks for pointing out. I have tried to read through the most of the debate, but still could not find any idea about how to remove an exception. Creating it by deleting the specific instace of the recurrent event from the views is reasonable; it's the opposite action that does not fit in.
I did not have time to read all the discussion carefully, tough, so there could be something I missed.