Sending Message Failed

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dgnugent

Sending Message Failed

Post by dgnugent »

I have recently upgraded from Mozilla 1.5 to 1.6 and using Windows XP OS. In 1.5 and 1.6 when I atttempt to send a message, I get a status of 100% delivered but then I received an Alert box stating the following,
"Seding of Message Failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP servier mail.pacbell.net failed. THe server may ben unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify......"

I tested to see if the message was sent even though I received the message and it was sent but Mozilla does not have record of the message being sent. The setting are correct for outgoing mail and this problem was not there prior to 1.5. I upgraded to 1.6 to solve the problem but that did not work.

Anybody know if there is a bug in mozilla? Makes it a little difficult to know if I have sent a message successfully or not!

Thanks
seanlee1969

Post by seanlee1969 »

I have this same problem, only it just started today. Before today, I only had this problem once in a while. I too tried the upgrade to 1.6 to fix it, but to no avail. Please let me know if you find a fix.
THanks!
S.
seanlee1969

Post by seanlee1969 »

I have this same problem, only it just started today. Before today, I only had this problem once in a while. I too tried the upgrade to 1.6 to fix it, but to no avail. Please let me know if you find a fix.
THanks!
S.
yoho

Post by yoho »

I have a the same problem. Started about 3-4 weeks ago intermittently while running 1.5 and has now become progressivly worse and it now happens every time I send. I also upgraded from 1.5 to 1.6 about 2 weeks ago to no avail. When a message is sent is see the Sending Message status bar, the Delivering Message status bar and sometimes the Mail Sent Successfully status bar. Then the dreaded alert box:

"Sending of Message Failed. The message could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP server mail.pacbell.net failed. The server may have been unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify......"

Sometimes the message appears right after the "Sending Messages" status bar and then the delivery fails and the message is not sent (I checked with recipient). Usually it proceeds to the "Delivering Message" status bar and then the the alert box pops up (The message is delivered, but does not appear in the Sent box)

I have tried it on two different machines. A MAC running 10.2.5 w/ Mozilla 1.6 and the other a MAC running 10.2.8 w/ Netscape 7.1 and I still have the problem. I just tested it on a MAC running 10.2.4 with Mozilla 1.2.1 and i DO NOT have the problem. When I try to send the message from MAC Mail or MS Entourage I cannot consistently trigger the same problem ( out of 50 test messages from each program, Mail produced 4 SMTP alerts and MS Entourage 2 SMTP related alerts). At this point Mozilla produces an alert for every send. I then cleaned out my hard drive of anything related to Mozilla and did a fresh install and generated a new profile. The problem persists. Finally I tried it with Thunderbird 0.4 and I still have the problem.

I have talked to SBC (PacBell) and they (suprise!) point their fingers at Mozilla (which they do not support). Any help is appreciated

Is this a pacbell related problem or are others experienceing the same problem? Unfortunately I do not have a POP account with another ISP to try.

Thanks
Bo
guest070

Post by guest070 »

I'm using Mozilla ver 1.5 [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20031007] and am experiencing similar problems despite previous problem-free use of this client.

I have been consistently getting the SMTP error msg. for the past few days, but in all cases I believe the message *did* go through, although it does not show up in the SENT folder.

I have installed some new software on my computer in recent days (mostly Palm-related) but I don't see how this could affect Mozilla.

I'm seeing the same problem in Mozilla Thunderbird 0.2 (20030901), which uses a different account with the same ISP - error msg, no copy in SENT, but message does go through.

I did a groups.google search and it seems this is not a rare problem, but no one has identified the fix.
dgnugent

Post by dgnugent »

Glad to know I am not the only with with this issue. I have done a little more research and know that even if the message pops up (which is now happening in all my sending messages), If I wait a little while, the status box will not go to 100% but the status of sending the message will change to Mail sent Successfully. I have been bcc or cc: myself on all messages and have confirmed with others that they are receiving the messages. This of course does not take away from the fact that there is still an issue but it is a workaround for now. Hope to get this resolved by someone soon!!

Thanks
pob090

Post by pob090 »

I a currently running Red Hat 9 with Mozilla 1.6a, thought it was a bug related to the a build. I use swbell for my ISP and have noticed that if I wait the message will eventually go thru even though I get the error message.
Mike Novack

Post by Mike Novack »

Since MOST Mozilla users do not have this problem but obviously some subset of us do, how about asking each other questions to determine whether there is some common characteristic. For a start, maybe everybody should say what kind of connection they have and who the ISP is. You want to rule out (if possible) that this is something specific to the software used by some one ISP or group of ISPs.
seanlee1969

Post by seanlee1969 »

Seems to me the common ISP is pacbell or swbell. The other forum I'm watching covering this same topic is "Can't Send on Pacbell".
S.
Prof401

Post by Prof401 »

I had the problem at home using sbcglobal.net but not at work where 1.6 works fine. The only "fix" I've found is to reinstall 1.3.
dgnugent

Post by dgnugent »

I am using pacbell.net DSL service. The message does go through if I wait a bit to see the status of mail sent successfully.
lynskyn

Post by lynskyn »

I'm seeing the same thing with swbell.net DSL. The email sends but the Send Message Error comes up and the email does not go to the Sent folder
yoho

Post by yoho »

I have DSL with PacBell. Running Mac OSX 10.2.5 Mozilla 1.6. I have the same problem when running Mozilla 1.5, Netscape 7.1 (Mozilla 1.4?) and Thunderbird 0.4.

Post by Guest »

I have emailed Pacbell re: this problem. When you look at their setup for email communicators, Netscape 4.28( I think) is what they recommend. My thought is that the ISP is only supporting Netscape 4.xx and not anything above. Once I receive a response back from the ISP I will let you know.

Prof401 stated they reinstalled 1.3- what that the version of Mozilla you reinstalled to avoid this issue?
guanxi

NEW SMTP SERVER for PACBELL / SBC

Post by guanxi »

An office I support has had the same problem on Pacbell. They have a DSL connection in L.A.

After trying four different people at Pacbell, I finally found someone knowledgable in their live chat support. He told me mail.pacbell.net was being replaced.

We had to 'convert' four year old our account to a new one.
The new smtp server, at least for us, is
<b>smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com</b>

It's authenticated SMTP. The login is the same as your main pop account login (!). It's worked well for us for a day, at least.

Someone else mentioned this server; I haven't tried it:
smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com