MozillaZine

Mozilla vs. Internet Explorer

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
afhopie44

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:12 pm

I never used anything other than internet explorer before on any computer. But I've heard that a lot of people use mozilla and think its really great and a lot better than internet explorer. I was thinking about possibly downloading mozilla to try it out.

Is it easy to use? What is the differences between internet explorer and mozilla firefox, both the good and bad? Would you reccommend one over another? Which do you use? Do I have to get uninstall internet explorer before I can run firefox? Can I run them both? Or is this a bad idea?

steviex

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:17 pm

The answer to your last three questions is No, Yes and No.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Old madperson

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:26 pm

just to address a few of your questions: there's absolutely no problem of using both browsers (IE and Firefox) at the same time and you don't have to uninstall IE before you start using Firefox.(you only have to decide, which one of the 2 browsers to should be the "default browser" on your system - that browser will be used when other applications want to open a web page, e.g.)... the big advantages i see in firefox is its great flexibility - there are loads of useful extensions out there, that help you customizing the browser the way you want it (the "killer-feature" for me is the ability to block ads, pop-ups and other unwanted content) ...

you can download firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Just get it and try it. It will take you a minute or two to install it. It's very easy to use, it works VERY well, and it needs little or no maintenance. One thing to avoid -- some people can't resist the urge to keep tinkering and adding junk to it until they finally find a way to break it. But even if you do that, you can fix it in a minute.

Just one thing to try when you get it: hold down the <Ctrl> key while you click on a link.

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Sorry, I hate to sound like an idiot.. but what are extensions? And are they free? My internet explorer has a pop up blocker on it which I love so I would definitely like firefox to have one as well if I use it.

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm

You see what I mean? It blocks pop-ups by <i>default</i>. And some Web sites won't serve you unless you also accept the ads. Extensions are third-party software that you can add. Some have totally frivolous purposes; some are serious. They are supplied as-is with absolutely no warrantee. They alter the browser in sometimes unpredictable ways. Some are written by gorillas, some possibly by criminals, and some by geniuses. There is some risk of creating a need for later repairs. They are not tested to the same standards as the browser. They are not guaranteed to work with each other or with future versions of Fx. Use at your own risk.

The big advantage to Firefox is that as far as I know, there has never been a successful malware exploit of an up-to-date copy of Firefox.*

* Now Java -- that's another story. Turn it off in Firefox unless you really need it for something.
Last edited by VanillaMozilla on March 26th, 2007, 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

steviex

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:36 pm

Not to forget the fact that you can customise Firefox to look just how you want it to. Look at this thread here... (Be warned... lots of pages with many, many screen shots, so very graphics intensive) http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=323514

For the multiple browsers thing see this http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/ ... owsers.png

Edit all the addons are free.... (With a few exceptions here and there)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Old madperson

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:44 pm

extensions are free little applications i'd say, that run inside the browser and bring some benefit (they can enhance built-in functionality in firefox, provide new features, or let you do modifications to the browser).

but most things will run smoothly right "out-of-the-box" anyway, so i'd suggest that you try out the browser and find out yourself what it's like - just report back in case you have any more questions...

VanillaMozilla

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 4:49 pm

You see now what I mean by tinkering? Before you do anything else, just learn to undo whatever changes you make, so we don't see you back here saying rude things.

afhopie44

Post Posted March 26th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Well I downloaded it and I love it!! Its much better than internet explorer from what I can tell already :)

Just one small question though.. it seems like it takes pictures on the pages a while to load. Is this normal? I just got a brand new computer 2 weeks ago so its not like my computer has no space on it. Could it be because I still have internt explorer? Is there any way to make the pics load faster?

On internet explorer I never had the problem of pics loading slow. I have DSL so its normally really fast.

jill

Post Posted March 27th, 2007, 12:23 am

alhopie , never uninstall Internet Explorer. You will need it in order to get the Microsoft Windows updates. You have to get these updates using Internet Explorer and not Firefox.

As for as pictures loading faster , they do seem to load faster in Internet Explorer. But Firefox is much faster in most all other loads. Did you check out how fast Firefox is when you are using the "back" button?

I am so glad you love it. Firefox is a great browser and as I said , it is so much faster than IE for most things. I have been using it since version 1 and would never be without my Firefox.

There are various extensions as the above poster said . Also as he said , some can cause problems. I am not one for a lot of bells and whistles . I like mine plain and simple and light. But there are some very good and useful extensions out there. I do use a theme. Since I am from Georgia and like the Georgia Bull Dogs of the University of Georgia , I downloaded and use that theme. But I don't use extensions.

Franck415

Post Posted March 23rd, 2010, 12:33 pm

Lol.
Mozilla Firefox sucks.
Try Vinageer, if you don't want to die from laughing.

No seriously, Firefox is a good browser, sort of like IE on many points.
Vinageer is more advanced, like Safari or Chrome.

Franck415

Post Posted March 23rd, 2010, 12:35 pm

Sorry for the double post, but Internet Explorer is faster on light pages whereas Firefox is better when it comes to ig pages.
thanks.

Dartman

Post Posted March 23rd, 2010, 12:36 pm

What I'm wondering is, why you posted to a thread from 2007.

Thread closed.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Return to Firefox Support